Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Ran a stock 07 350Z tonight.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 10:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Overhead valve engines are pushrod engines, Overhead cam engines are overhead cam engines.
http://www.samarins.com/glossary/dohc.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overhead_valve
I suppose your car also has a motor instead of an engine. Please read everything contained within your link as the link proves what you said to be mostly incorrect. OHV applies to all engines where the valves are in the head and not in the block. I am not bashing you at all you are simply incorrect and need to read what you post before accepting what you believe to be true over what is true. The link states in very simple terms exactly what I posted.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:08 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by suprastars
A Lotus is a tad bit quicker than an S2k. So do you not consider this a sports car?

A camaro is not in the same league as an S2k on a track. Granted it might pull similar times, but thats due to the power advantage on the staights.

Ask any Corvette, Evo, Miata, Porsche, Viper owner, about the capabilites/differences in the cars and they will tend to agree with me. You need to modify the suspension to a camaro, just to hang with an S2k.
So which is it? You say it will pull similar times, but then that it cant hang. IMO a Camaro is not a true sports car, and although the S2000 may be a sports car in many opinions, it is on the lower end of the spectrum. Same with a Miata. An Evo is not a sports car IMO, and I would bet you would find many people who agree. Does an Evo handle well, sure, but it is really just a modified sedan. But then again a lot of it is opinion.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mzoomora
So which is it? You say it will pull similar times, but then that it cant hang. IMO a Camaro is not a true sports car, and although the S2000 may be a sports car in many opinions, it is on the lower end of the spectrum. Same with a Miata. An Evo is not a sports car IMO, and I would bet you would find many people who agree. Does an Evo handle well, sure, but it is really just a modified sedan. But then again a lot of it is opinion.
There's a big power difference between the two. This enables the camaro to make up the difference on the straight aways. This in no way, means the camaro is a better handling car. Basically your telling me that, a camaro would be slower if it were to lose 800lbs and add IRS!
Old 02-26-2008, 10:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If I'm not mistaken a "sports car" has two seats only and is designed to be sporty. A "sports coupe" has 4 or more seats and is designed to be sporty. A "muscle car" was built in the late sixties and early seventies and was fast in a straight line. A "pony car" is the same as a "sports coupe" but in a smaller more nimble package and typically used to describe the Camaro, Mustang, the Twins (Challenger, Cuda) and the Javelin. The AMX is the wierd one because it only had 2 seats. These are the definitions I grew up with through the 70's until now. I hope they still apply and I'm not that old.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The 350's have potential, and they are great at the autocross. HOnestly, though, it doesn't surprise me that you pulled him that much.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by The Manalishi
I suppose your car also has a motor instead of an engine. Please read everything contained within your link as the link proves what you said to be mostly incorrect. OHV applies to all engines where the valves are in the head and not in the block. I am not bashing you at all you are simply incorrect and need to read what you post before accepting what you believe to be true over what is true. The link states in very simple terms exactly what I posted.
Unless you've been living under a rock, OHV has been commonly accepted as the term for pushrod engines, while it does sound like it can be applied to all engines with valves over the cylinders.
Even GM themselves uses the term "OHV" for their pushrod engines:
http://www.gm.com/explore/technology...info_specs.jsp
"The LS7 7.0-liter V-8 engine for the 2006 Corvette Z06 has 505 SAE certified hp and is one of the first automotive OHV production engines capable of running up to 7100 rpm."
One of the first production car engines with valves over its cylinders to rev to 7100RPMs? No... One of the first production pushrod engines (OHV engines) to rev to 7100RPMs.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Unless you've been living under a rock, OHV has been commonly accepted as the term for pushrod engines, while it does sound like it can be applied to all engines with valves over the cylinders.
Even GM themselves uses the term "OHV" for their pushrod engines:
http://www.gm.com/explore/technology...info_specs.jsp

One of the first production car engines with valves over its cylinders to rev to 7100RPMs? No... One of the first production pushrod engines (OHV engines) to rev to 7100RPMs.
They do that because it is an OHV engine but it doesn't apply exclusively to cam in block engines. They are correct, but if Ford said the same thing about the Mod motor it would also be correct. Commonly accepted does not mean it is actually fact. People commonly accept that a motor is the same as an engine also but technically it is incorrect. It may be splitting hairs but it really irritates me that people who know about cars and understand how engines work use these terms.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:17 PM
Launching!

OMFG.

1) OHV generally refers to pushrod motors. By generally I mean in the automotive press, most discussion, etc. Similarly, OHC refers to those cars coming with OHC. So while not technically a distinction, it is in reality. You guys know reality right? Its that place to the left and right of your screen.

2) Technically the original definition of sports cars was a open top 4 banger RWD roadster. Who gives a crap? While we are on that subject, the closest to an official definition of a "muscle car" is 4 door family sedan with a burly engine and a driveline. Who cares about that? Everyone loves calling Mustangs and GTOs muscle cars. Shoot, many people consider the GTO the first muscle car. Which is horsepoo BTW since the Bel Air with a 409 came before it.

3) To sum this up:

Semantics is uselss BS
350Zs have gotten much faster stock over their production run.
Any given night at the track will show you a stock Fbody/novice driver run a time slower than what a awesome driver could get in a 350Z stock.
For the third effing time yes domestics are better drag racing cars.
For the third effing time imports can compete none the less.
For the second effing time some tasks and upgrades are actually easier with an OHC motor. You dont need to remove a radiator or tilt the engine to pull a cam for one thing. And for another the heads tend to be less of a restriction as power levels go up and for another the valve train in stock form can often handle higher RPM since it weighs less and has fewer parts than OHV ( oh, I'm sorry, pushrod )

Old 02-26-2008, 11:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sparetire
OMFG.

1) OHV generally refers to pushrod motors. By generally I mean in the automotive press, most discussion, etc. Similarly, OHC refers to those cars coming with OHC. So while not technically a distinction, it is in reality. You guys know reality right? Its that place to the left and right of your screen.
Doesn't make it right which is what I posted. I made a correction for someone that may not have known that this was technically incorrect. If it offends you that much I don't care.

2) Technically the original definition of sports cars was a open top 4 banger RWD roadster. Who gives a crap? While we are on that subject, the closest to an official definition of a "muscle car" is 4 door family sedan with a burly engine and a driveline. Who cares about that? Everyone loves calling Mustangs and GTOs muscle cars. Shoot, many people consider the GTO the first muscle car. Which is horsepoo BTW since the Bel Air with a 409 came before it.
The Bel Air was a full size car. The GTO was a mid size car. A muscle car is a big engine in a mid size car. Not a big engine in a huge tank of a car.

3) To sum this up:

Semantics is uselss BS
350Zs have gotten much faster stock over their production run.
Any given night at the track will show you a stock Fbody/novice driver run a time slower than what a awesome driver could get in a 350Z stock.
For the third effing time yes domestics are better drag racing cars.
For the third effing time imports can compete none the less.
For the second effing time some tasks and upgrades are actually easier with an OHC motor. You dont need to remove a radiator or tilt the engine to pull a cam for one thing. And for another the heads tend to be less of a restriction as power levels go up and for another the valve train in stock form can often handle higher RPM since it weighs less and has fewer parts than OHV ( oh, I'm sorry, pushrod )

Thanks everyone here is now a better human being because of your post.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:46 AM
Teching In

I've raced two so far, I think one was a 05 ?? and the other was a 06'. I rock the socks off of all of them from a dig, and from a roll still too the win. And remember people I only run 1.4's-14.3's on the street. Alot of people are right they just don't know how to drive them I guess.

Quick Reply: Ran a stock 07 350Z tonight.