Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Ran a stock 07 350Z tonight.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 10:14 AM
***Repost Police***

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lemons12
i runelevens.... this isnt meant to start an argurment.. you make some good points.... and some dumbass ones.. LIKE ALL OF US DO!!! haha.. but i have a low 13 seconds car.. and have raced MANY full bolt on gts... get em all by 6 or 7 lengths.. sometimes more.. and a procharged pushing out 12 pounds by 2 lengths... haha.. idiot driver.. anyways... just letting you know it probably isnt mid 13... probably is 14.. JUST MY OPINION
And I've seen bolt-on GTs go as low as 13.4... but I can tell you with confidence that my *car* is capable of better than a 14s pass. I'm looking for something around a 13.6 @ 103mph. We'll see if *I* am good enough to get it there
Old 02-26-2008, 10:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
And I've seen bolt-on GTs go as low as 13.4... but I can tell you with confidence that my *car* is capable of better than a 14s pass. I'm looking for something around a 13.6 @ 103mph. We'll see if *I* am good enough to get it there

13.6@103... as long as you can drive the damn thing.. that sounds doable.... but.. 13.4 for a full bolt on is a bit on the high side... but... with a good driver.. i could see it.. i think most high 13s.. but what the hell do i know? haha
Old 02-26-2008, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Sports cars have two seats and independent suspension.
Muscle cars have 4 seats and a solid rear end.

Not if you're on stock Decarbon shocks it doesn't
alright.. more than two seats = not really a sports car (no to mustangs and camaros, yes to miata, corvette, mr2, etc...)
solid rear end when independent rear suspension technology is readily available... who can argue with that.

looks like i bought a muscle car
Old 02-26-2008, 12:23 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by lemons12
13.6@103... as long as you can drive the damn thing.. that sounds doable.... but.. 13.4 for a full bolt on is a bit on the high side... but... with a good driver.. i could see it.. i think most high 13s.. but what the hell do i know? haha
Yeah... gears would definitely help me immensely. A guy on another message board I've been talking to for a few years has a GT with just intake/h-pipe/exhaust and 4.10s and he ran 13.3 @ 104mph, but he can DRIVE. I'd love to get 4.10s and DRs and have him drive my car to a 12s pass
Old 02-26-2008, 12:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BobDoLe
alright.. more than two seats = not really a sports car (no to mustangs and camaros, yes to miata, corvette, mr2, etc...)
solid rear end when independent rear suspension technology is readily available... who can argue with that.

looks like i bought a muscle car
+1... haha.. not sports.. muscle... good one

Yeah... gears would definitely help me immensely. A guy on another message board I've been talking to for a few years has a GT with just intake/h-pipe/exhaust and 4.10s and he ran 13.3 @ 104mph, but he can DRIVE. I'd love to get 4.10s and DRs and have him drive my car to a 12s pass
yea.. the closest gt ive ran was at the track.. he had full bolt ons.. is was an 04... seemed to be a pretty good driver... i ended up getting him by about 4-5 lengths.. and trapped about 4 miles per hour higher..... but idk that much about stangs..
Old 02-26-2008, 02:29 PM
Banned

Sports cars have two seats and independent suspension.
Muscle cars have 4 seats and a solid rear end.
Agreed, but the term "Muscle Car" is just that... a term.

Not if you're on stock Decarbon shocks it doesn't
I have newer, better handling DeCarbons and 1LE HD springs.
But thanks for blind guess on my cars' parts.

Do they have an option for "muscle car"?
To make it easy they classify them under "sports car."
Yeah, thats because the term 'Muscle Car' is something guys use to label a four seater, V8 rwd car.
Just like people use the term 'Pony Car'.
Its an expression at most.
When it comes down to the black and white, they are classified and insured as 'Sports Car's.

The insurance companies define anything "sporty" as a sports car. You will see them claim many many FWD cars as "sports cars".
What all this gibberish about what insurance companies call it.
Your going to take into consideration of what people say, that also insure Sunfire's as sport cars?
There's a good resource.
Old 02-26-2008, 02:38 PM
12 Second Club

All I EVER see you type is "blah blah blah if you like/respect one import you're not American blah blah blah." Doesn't it ever get old for YOU too?
It will get "old" for me when coming on here and defending/worshipping your imports (and "setting us right"<- about them) gets "old" for you.

Fair enough, fanboi??
Old 02-26-2008, 03:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by burnzilla
Agreed, but the term "Muscle Car" is just that... a term.
Just like the term "sports car"?

I have newer, better handling DeCarbons and 1LE HD springs.
But thanks for blind guess on my cars' parts.
Heh, good guess... But too bad there is no such thing as "better handling decarbons", that like saying "dog **** that smells better".
The shocks are by far the weakest link on these cars, if you pick up some good ones (konis) you will see exactly what im talking about.
Yeah, thats because the term 'Muscle Car' is something guys use to label a four seater, V8 rwd car.
Just like people use the term 'Pony Car'.
Its an expression at most.
When it comes down to the black and white, they are classified and insured as 'Sports Car's.
Just like all other sporty cars, but that does not make them sports cars.

What all this gibberish about what insurance companies call it.
Your going to take into consideration of what people say, that also insure Sunfire's as sport cars?
There's a good resource.
You brought up "insured under", not me.
Here, this is a good read:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=1949
Old 02-26-2008, 05:04 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by dailydriver
It will get "old" for me when coming on here and defending/worshipping your imports (and "setting us right"<- about them) gets "old" for you.

Fair enough, fanboi??
I don't "defend" ****... but calling something a piece of **** just because of where it's made is just ignorance. Plain and simple. It's people like you that would have been in the KKK 100 years ago. And no, I'm not exaggerating.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:27 PM
Banned

I don't "defend" ****... but calling something a piece of **** just because of where it's made is just ignorance. Plain and simple. It's people like you that would have been in the KKK 100 years ago. And no, I'm not exaggerating.
I already told him, that he's the Hitler of this site.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:58 PM
Teching In

Just like the term "sports car"?
Here, this is a good read:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=1949
^^^ That's the definition of the classic sports car, but IMO all "performance oriented" cars should be considered sports cars even if their layout isn't the archetypical FR, 2-seat roadster. This is a debate of semantics. In the early days of performance cars (which were mostly Euros) the fastest & most common ones to enter sport circuit racing were smaller RWD 2-seaters. The engine & suspension tech wasn't there to allow larger, heavier vehicles to accelerate, corner or brake like todays cars.

I would call ANY F-Body, Mustang, GTO, etc a sports car since its designers had a certain "sport" it would naturally compete in. This type of sports car is a "GT" or grand tourer, a car with a back seat OR 4/5 doors. High-powered RWD GT's are usually referred to as "muscle" or "pony" cars. American pony & muscle cars' sport is usually drag racing.. duh. That shouldn't make them any less of a sports car than cars that stress handling & braking more than acceleration & speed.. It's like comparing a decathlete to a 100 meter sprinter; its a flawed, lame comparison. One does many things above average but usually isn't dominant in one skill, the other is very fast/powerful but not nearly as versatile.

Even some FWD cars are sports cars (Mini, Integra, VW's, CRX etc) because there is niche of racing they do well in & have many of their own racing classes.

Even though the 98-02 F-Body is a GT and not a "classic" sports car like the Corvette, I've seen tests where stock SS/WS6's hit .86+ G's on the skidpad, do high 60's (mph) through the slalom & lane change maneuvers & brake from 60-0 mph in appx 125 ft. Is that better than an EVO, STi, 350Z, S2000 blah blah? No, but its certainly no sloppy mess either & was built focusing on performance in a whole different "sport" which it would dominate any of the above cars handily and still edge out the '07 350Z as evidenced by the OP's tale.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:12 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by NightWindDriftr
I bet you'll find just as many.
I might have said that wrong. What I ment was in drag racing. But nascar uses push rod motors.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Import Al
^^^ That's the definition of the classic sports car, but IMO all "performance oriented" cars should be considered sports cars even if their layout isn't the archetypical FR, 2-seat roadster. This is a debate of semantics. In the early days of performance cars (which were mostly Euros) the fastest & most common ones to enter sport circuit racing were smaller RWD 2-seaters. The engine & suspension tech wasn't there to allow larger, heavier vehicles to accelerate, corner or brake like todays cars.

I would call ANY F-Body, Mustang, GTO, etc a sports car since its designers had a certain "sport" it would naturally compete in. This type of sports car is a "GT" or grand tourer, a car with a back seat OR 4/5 doors. High-powered RWD GT's are usually referred to as "muscle" or "pony" cars. American pony & muscle cars' sport is usually drag racing.. duh. That shouldn't make them any less of a sports car than cars that stress handling & braking more than acceleration & speed.. It's like comparing a decathlete to a 100 meter sprinter; its a flawed, lame comparison. One does many things above average but usually isn't dominant in one skill, the other is very fast/powerful but not nearly as versatile.

Even some FWD cars are sports cars (Mini, Integra, VW's, CRX etc) because there is niche of racing they do well in & have many of their own racing classes.

Even though the 98-02 F-Body is a GT and not a "classic" sports car like the Corvette, I've seen tests where stock SS/WS6's hit .86+ G's on the skidpad, do high 60's (mph) through the slalom & lane change maneuvers & brake from 60-0 mph in appx 125 ft. Is that better than an EVO, STi, 350Z, S2000 blah blah? No, but its certainly no sloppy mess either & was built focusing on performance in a whole different "sport" which it would dominate any of the above cars handily and still edge out the '07 350Z as evidenced by the OP's tale.

Lotus exige
Honda S2k
Corvette
Zonda
Porshe GT3
Camaro

Which one is out of place here? Ill give you a hint. It ryhmes with Camaro!
Old 02-26-2008, 06:15 PM
10 Second Club

A Corvette is a sports car... an F-body is not. Drive a C5 and then drive your car and you will understand what I'm talking about. Or hell, drive a Miata and then your car. The amount of power a car has doesn't have a damn thing to do with whether or not it's a sports car. No matter what you do, an F-body will never be a sports car. No matter what you do, a Mustang will never be a sports car.
Tell that to my insurance guy!!
Old 02-26-2008, 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

So wait my MR2 is a "sports car" and my T/A is not? Maybe I'll just take the backseats outta the T/A
Old 02-26-2008, 06:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by suprastars
Lotus exige
Honda S2k
Corvette
Zonda
Porshe GT3
Camaro

Lol I agree with you. Are you saying that GT's are not sports cars? I don't know man, just because the F-Body is a powerful GT with a focus on drag racing & good overall handling doesn't make it not a sports car... it's still a GT sports car, not a classic sports car.
Old 02-26-2008, 06:20 PM
10 Second Club

Do you think your Trans Am is a sports car too? If you read the thread you would see that I was never "talking trash." Do you expect me to bow down and proclaim the F-body as God's own creation just because I'm on a GM website?
YEP!! LOL just kiding!!
Old 02-26-2008, 06:32 PM
10 Second Club

Lotus exige
Honda S2k
Corvette
Zonda
Porshe GT3
Camaro

You forgot the supra!! Toyota calls it a sports car!!!
Old 02-26-2008, 06:33 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by I8ASaleen
So wait my MR2 is a "sports car" and my T/A is not? Maybe I'll just take the backseats outta the T/A
My H/C stalled Camaro is a sporty car!! LOL
Old 02-26-2008, 06:35 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Lotus exige
Honda S2k
Corvette
Zonda
Porshe GT3
Camaro

Oooh, I know. Its the Honda, because it is dog *** slow.

But it doesnt rhyme with Camaro.

Quick Reply: Ran a stock 07 350Z tonight.