Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

High speed Nitrous run

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2003, 10:28 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default High speed Nitrous run

Saturday night quite late we had a 3-way run out on the highway (3 lanes wide). It was an '99 SS with H/C/intake + bolt ons, a '96 Vette with an LT4 w/hotcam, and my '94. I had beaten both of these cars before dig racing, but now we were going to do a 40-punch with agreed shutdown @ 120 MPH. Both of the other cars are M6, so normally I would be at a disadvantage on a highway run with my A4. However, I had recently completed installing the NX kit and had 75 jets in it. I freely told both of my competitors that I would spray.

We got up there, lined up and went from the 3rd honk, Vette in the middle and designated starter. Well, the Vette freakin squirted ahead and put 3-4 cars on me by the time we hit 120. WTF?! The '99 SS was not even in the race, sorry to say. We left him behind right away. I broke traction when I hit the juice, but still the Vette just really powered out of there, so it wasn't just the fact that I spun for a moment.

We flipped around and did a second run on the way back. This time my DR's held at 40 when I squeezed and still the Vette got out ahead of me. This time only 2 cars. Hmmm... The NBM SS still was not a contender.

We get back to the parking lot and the Vette driver gets out grining ear to ear. He too had recently put his car on the bottle!! 100 shot. So, that explains what happened. Everyone at the meet predicted I would blast away from them when I hit the button. We didn't know about the Vette being sneaky sneaky. However, he's a good guy and fully fessed up immediately afterwards.

The SS driver is a young guy and he gets out talking about how he's going to throw a N2O kit on soon. 175 shot Right! We'll see how long it takes him to send some rods through the block. He's a good guy too, but young, and probably took it hard that he got left behind right from the punch.

Anyway, was an interesting race with a surprise twist and 2 cars blasting away on the squeeze.
Old 07-21-2003, 01:53 PM
STF veteran / 10 second club

Default Re: High speed Nitrous run

Wow, I'm surprised the H/C SS got left so far behind. Have you ever dyno'd your 94?
Old 07-21-2003, 01:58 PM
!LS1 11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

3 wide Chevy showdown. Now that's a race.

This guy is on Bottle + Cam. H/C can't compete w/ that burst.
Old 07-21-2003, 02:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like y'all had fun...that's what it's all about.
Old 07-21-2003, 02:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Now that is one hell of a race. Can I join next time? Just reading that makes me anxious to get out on the highway, find some random vette and another f-bod and do a 3-way race just so I can write it in here, lol.
Old 07-21-2003, 03:10 PM
Launching!

Three ways are fun. The only one that I have had was at RSI "in houston" It was against a Viper GTS and a ZO6 w a cam and intake. Everyone thought that i would have gotten drug even me. We lined up My car got them both outta the hole and a bout 1 1/2 car though the quater, I was very suprised along with a hundred other people. But when i hit about 125-30 they flew by be like nothing. It was the best street race i have ever had.
Old 07-21-2003, 03:25 PM
TECH Veteran

sounds fun....
Old 07-21-2003, 03:50 PM
TWS
10 Second Club

It was a fun race.
We actually do a lot of arranged matches here vs. the random pick-up stuff on the street. Street racing is dangerous, but it's less dangerous when you have a designated piece of open highway and a controlled start.

The H/C '99 SS is not a slow car and I know he would beat me motor to motor on a 40-punch roll race. However, I have beat him motor to motor from a standing start. It's just the different particular strengths of our respective cars.

camaro Kid: c'mon down from Jersey. We'll let you roll out with us.

To answer another question, I have dyno'd my '94, but not since late '98. It never was a dyno queen, and ran quicker times than the dyno numbers would make you think it could. Now with the spray... hehehe I have Kyle to thank for that. He was the brains behind the install.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

ATEURZ06: u drove all the way to RSI from Baytown??? That's the shop by West Oaks Mall Right??
Old 07-22-2003, 01:03 AM
STF veteran / 10 second club

3 wide Chevy showdown. Now that's a race.

This guy is on Bottle + Cam. H/C can't compete w/ that burst.
Yeah I know ... I just didn't think he would get left that badly. Figured he would only be a few cars back if that.
Old 07-22-2003, 01:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

camaro Kid: c'mon down from Jersey. We'll let you roll out with us.
Sounds good, lol. Maybe I'd get more than 12 mpg on the highways on the way down there... Gotta love the blower/cam equipped LT1! I'm actually taking the car on it's first big trip since it's purchase to Seaside heights, NJ... about 45 mins of driving. Hope everything goes ok, I haven't driven it much since I got it.
Old 07-22-2003, 09:56 AM
Staging Lane

I'm actually taking the car on it's first big trip since it's purchase to Seaside heights, NJ... about 45 mins of driving.
Man it takes me an hour and a half to even reach the interstate...
Old 07-22-2003, 10:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Man it takes me an hour and a half to even reach the interstate...
It's awesome cause I live in a nice little suburb, but I'm 20 mins from the city and 45 from the beach. Right smack in the middle of everything... heh heh.
Old 07-22-2003, 12:47 PM
On The Tree

hey camaro kid where in jersey u located im in monmouth county union beach right across the bay from nyc n a half hour 20 mins from seaside
Old 07-22-2003, 01:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

From morris county, a little town right next to Wayne (You know, where Willowbrook mall is) called Lincoln Park.
Old 07-22-2003, 02:48 PM
Launching!

ATEURZ06: u drove all the way to RSI from Baytown??? That's the shop by West Oaks Mall Right??
Ya!! race gas is expensive too right know!!!! The guy that usually cruses with me knows jerald "the owner of it" And that is usaully the only place where i can find a race.
Old 07-22-2003, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Will post the video as soon as i get it
Old 07-22-2003, 10:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

ATEURZ06: Do u know Phil over at CXI??? He hangs over there alot. He drives a Red LT1 Vette, talk about FAST!!!!! Also, I've never used there shop before (only Go LATE SATURDAY NIGHTS) is it a good shop with fair prices??? Do they have a WEBSITE???
Old 07-25-2003, 01:53 PM
Launching!

No i dont think i know him Its been about a month since ive been but the last time it was a bunch of ricers. I was one of the faster cars then and i new the only guy there that was faster than me. So he must be new there if he is fast. Dunno