Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

03 pullied Cobra vs 04 full exhaust Z06 **vid**

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 12:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PowershifterNC
It has been my experience around here that mustang drivers drive better. I attribute it to having slower cars and having to get every bit of power out of them to keep up with the good ol ls1.
I attribute it to the majority of Ls1s having **** for a slave cylinder. Or maybe mustang drivers are just naturally more talented.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:05 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the zo6 driver seemed to be in the wrong gear at times.i could not hear the rpms at all.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 180ls1
really the hitting the rev limiter makes you slower? you missed my point. What i was referring to was that the cobra was getting all the power out of his powerband http://www.andersonfordmotorsport.co...03CobraPMS.jpg see how the cobra keeps making more power all the way to the revlimiter. And if you listen you can hear the cobra get close to the revlimiter, which never happens to the vette. My point is that the cobra owner really knows how to get all the power out of his car and it appears the z06 owner does not.
How do you know the Cobra is close to the limiter? Do you know what the limiter is set at on FAsnakes car or what his (or any pullied Cobra's) powerband looks like?
Old 03-14-2008, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 88blackgt
haha right there you make it sound like he should hit the rev limiter.

haha and exactly how far was he from the rev limiter since you can hear that well?
it is called sarcasm

he seems close but there is no way to know with out diagnostics, but the limiter should be just shy of 6500 or so.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gnxs
How do you know the Cobra is close to the limiter? Do you know what the limiter is set at on FAsnakes car or what his (or any pullied Cobra's) powerband looks like?
Cobras have a very flat torque curve due to the roots blower and a pretty high power peak due to the 4v motors like high rpms. And if you listened to it you could tell that it is close to the limiter. Some guys like to bump the limiter up because they still gain power all the way to the limiter.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:48 PM
Staging Lane

Cobras have a very flat torque curve due to the roots blower and a pretty high power peak due to the 4v motors like high rpms. And if you listened to it you could tell that it is close to the limiter. Some guys like to bump the limiter up because they still gain power all the way to the limiter.
I've owned a Cobra since 2004 and I can't tell you with any certainty what rpms FAsnakes was shifting at........I'm pretty sure you can't either.

It's impossible for you to know whether he was "close to the limiter" or not since you don't know what he has his limiter set at.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've owned a Cobra since 2004 and I can't tell you with any certainty what rpms FAsnakes was shifting at........I'm pretty sure you can't either.

It's impossible for you to know whether he was "close to the limiter" or not since you don't know what he has his limiter set at.
but you can go off of sound when he does hit the limiter when he mis shifts. I was not getting all technical or trying to start an arguement just stating that it seems like he is getting all the power out of his car or close to it by getting high up there in the rpms. Just listen to it any you can tell the sound of the car changes with the higher the rpms just like every car. Its called deductive reasoning.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nitrous_Junkie_SVT
I attribute it to the majority of Ls1s having **** for a slave cylinder. Or maybe mustang drivers are just naturally more talented.
Old 03-14-2008, 03:09 PM
Staging Lane

but you can go off of sound when he does hit the limiter when he mis shifts. I was not getting all technical or trying to start an arguement just stating that it seems like he is getting all the power out of his car or close to it by getting high up there in the rpms. Just listen to it any you can tell the sound of the car changes with the higher the rpms just like every car. Its called deductive reasoning.
Like you said, we're sinking into the depths here. I will agree that FAsnakes certainly does get a lot out his car if his power #'s are accurate.
Old 03-14-2008, 03:31 PM
Staging Lane

Like you said, we're sinking into the depths here. I will agree that FAsnakes certainly does get a lot out his car if his power #'s are accurate.
Since you brought that up... I will not get into the fact that Cobra's get heat soaked. Unless they stopped for a few minutes after each race the Cobra is making less power each run. I don't think the Cobra listed a heat exchanger as a mod, so that hurts even more.
Old 03-14-2008, 03:53 PM
Banned

For all intents and purposes aerodynamically, punching it from 35-40 is nearly the same as from a dig.

Aerodynamically yes there isn't much difference, but a dig race and 40mph roll race are VERY different.
Old 03-14-2008, 04:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Paul's_03SVT
Since you brought that up... I will not get into the fact that Cobra's get heat soaked. Unless they stopped for a few minutes after each race the Cobra is making less power each run. I don't think the Cobra listed a heat exchanger as a mod, so that hurts even more.
he does have a heat exchanger
Old 03-14-2008, 04:18 PM
STF Veteran

Originally Posted by 2K1WS6TA
What?? You are basically saying that the headlights should be up to make the drag even for both cars....?? If thats the case, then lets just add 700lbs to the Z also so they can be the same weight.
You were close to what I said all except for the part where you twisted it around to attempt to make it fit what you think I said. What I was "basically saying" was that the Corvette is more aerodynamic (with the lights down) than the Cobra. So the headlights being up shouldn't miraculously turn the corvette into a brick and the Cobra into a formula 1 car aerodynamically. While we're on the subject they were racing at NIGHT! Racing in itself is dangerous let alone racing in the dark 120+ mph with your lights off. Maybe the driver of the Cobra should have agreed to race up to, say 45 or 50 mph so the headlights being up wouldn't have created so much "DRAGGGG". [sarcasm] That would have been an awesome race!!!![/sarcasm] Maybe you should spend more time reading and less time trying to bust on people.

Reading
Is
Fundamental
Old 03-14-2008, 05:38 PM
Teching In

Someone should make a comp video of the Vets getting pulled. Some of the Vet would
They are both bad *** cars,but on that day the Cobra was faster.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:31 AM
On The Tree

I'm surprised by the results too, but for some to make excuses or call bs is dumb. There are a lot of variables that can cause different results. Should the ZO6 have won, I think so, but this time it didn't. Just for comparison, check out the vids in FAsnakes sig and then try to figure out why a ZO6 with 15whp more and less weight lost to a cobra heavier than the ones he beat in his C6. Like I said, **** happens.
Old 03-15-2008, 12:14 PM
Teching In

Thanks for everyone that extended complements and enjoyed the vid... (we enjoyed making it)
Originally Posted by PWORLDSTANG
Good runs man!
Was there a person in both cars while racing??.... Looked to me like whoever was without the extra weight of the camera man had the advantage.

But for the most part, IMHO, the cars looked pretty damn even. You would pull him hard, he would pull you hard. Back and forth, back and forth.
One 140# camera man switched between cars.
Originally Posted by stoverz28
Nice driving man! I dont think this will be solved until you race someone like Ranger . So whats next, a cammed Z?
Who's ranger?
I'm going to lay low for now.. I know the recent vids speak differently but i'm not that big of a racer.
Originally Posted by PWORLDSTANG
FASnakes, your car does definitely does move out for a vert! ... And that's with a 2.93 pulley. I ran a 2.93 pulley for a while when I first got my car. There's a drastic difference between the 2.93 and a 2.76.

But eh, who cares... you should have a Whipple coming in soon, right?
Yea, she's coming soon, i'm just waiting on my installer to throw on the supporting mods..
After this last episode, my wife thinks my car is fast enough
Another one bites the dust. I was one of the few that voted you'd win. Nice vid, what mph rolls were those? That vette looked hott!
30 - 40mph
Yea, my boys Z is pure sex..
Hell the Cobra driver can't drive worth **** either, no offense. Clearly in the vid the cobra driver misses shifts twice. The vette driver imo drives well.
None taken. I wasn't impressed with my driving that night, but it is what it is..
Old 03-15-2008, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

ranger it a guy who is good at driving vettes. I think he went a 10.8 with a bone stock down to the filter c6 z06 with nothing more then drag radials.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:26 PM
Teching In

ranger it a guy who is good at driving vettes. I think he went a 10.8 with a bone stock down to the filter c6 z06 with nothing more then drag radials.
ooh that ranger..
lol, i'm not quite ready for a c6Z..
Old 03-15-2008, 01:53 PM
Teching In

when your ready i have a H/C car if your interested. let me know if you wanna meet up sometime. just for fun, its not like im out to get the Cobras.
Old 03-15-2008, 04:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 99-LS1-SS
What I was "basically saying" was that the Corvette is more aerodynamic (with the lights down) than the Cobra.
obvioulsy

So the headlights being up shouldn't miraculously turn the corvette into a brick and the Cobra into a formula 1 car aerodynamically.
Never did I say, or act like it would make a miraculous difference. Just that it was an advantage that the vette could have given himself, but didn't.

While we're on the subject they were racing at NIGHT! Racing in itself is dangerous let alone racing in the dark 120+ mph with your lights off.
Like I said "BEFORE," the two cars were plenty close enough to where either one of them could have seen fine from the other drivers lights. I have done it several times and never had a problem. If you don't like to, thats fine.

Maybe you should spend more time reading and less time trying to bust on people.
I state a fact of a race, and how it could have differed a little with a possible variable, and I'm busting on people.

Maybe you should spend a little more time reading as well. This subject has been dropped. You can stop beating the dead horse now.

Quick Reply: 03 pullied Cobra vs 04 full exhaust Z06 **vid**