Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

03 pullied Cobra vs 04 full exhaust Z06 **vid**

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 06:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dynotune04
point proven

No hard feelings, I really do like Cobras and would have owned one but I needed a dealer to have a car I could trade in because I was upside down so I was stuck and wanted a RWD V8.
Old 03-13-2008, 06:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by necrocannibal
LOL I dont have brand loyalty, if I could have found an 03-04 Cobra at a dealer a year ago or so Id have one of those instead of a GTO. My dad has an 03 Cobra. I dont get where you get this brand loyalty from, oh what thats right you REALLY know me dont you?
Then maybe your just blind
Old 03-13-2008, 07:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gnxs

I'm sure if the Cobra lost by a fender and some Cobra owner suggested the result might be different if he'd have folded in his sideview mirrors for less aerodynamic drag (yes they fold in), they'd be laughed off the board.....and rightfully so.
I'm sure they would get laughed off too for making a comment about side veiw mirrors since they are at least curved for air to flow around them instead of them being two large, flat, square headlights on the front of a really aerodynamic car that do nothing but block wind. I'm not stating that each race would have had a totally different outcome. And why do you keep bringing drag racing and time into this like it plays a roll. Aerodynamics doesn't play as much of a roll on the strip as it does in a roll race. You start with no wind resistance at the track (unless you have a head wind) and build it as the race progresses and then shutdown by about 120ish in the 1/4. From a roll, you have that wind resistance from the hit @ 35-40 and it is pretty bad when you shutdown @ 130-140.

Now, that having been said, i'll let it go.
Once again, nice Kill/Death/Kill
Old 03-13-2008, 07:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Fas4d
Then maybe your just blind
Yeah sure am cocklick.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by necrocannibal

No hard feelings, I really do like Cobras and would have owned one but I needed a dealer to have a car I could trade in because I was upside down so I was stuck and wanted a RWD V8.
its all good i was stuck driving my gt for a year and 1/2 before i found my cobra
Old 03-13-2008, 07:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Cool video. Thanks. Nice runs. I'd say you looked like you had the edge. My .02.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fast vert!!! I like stangs its the drivers of some I hate same goes with F bodys and vettes! Kocky dumbasses that dont know **** about their cars or I got the magical 600 hp pulley swap mod, I can go on forever. But for some F body guys modup befor you talk ****! I have so many F body guys want to race me with minor bolt on's. Come on 610+ hp to the wheels here, But when I say no your car is not in my HP range Im a cocky basterd! Please for the love of v8 cars it all boils down to who can drive and who has the most money in their ride in my book.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:50 PM
Launching!

Nice Vid both cars looked good.
Old 03-14-2008, 06:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

It's easy to see why the Vette lost. He took off at 2500-3000 rpm and let off at 5000 each run taking a second to shift between shifts. No wonder the cobra stayed close and passed him easily. Hell, I'd even put some of you mustang boys in the driver seat but then you'd make excuses for the cobra. It has been my experience around here that mustang drivers drive better. I attribute it to having slower cars and having to get every bit of power out of them to keep up with the good ol ls1.
Old 03-14-2008, 07:56 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by PowershifterNC
It's easy to see why the Vette lost. He took off at 2500-3000 rpm and let off at 5000 each run taking a second to shift between shifts.
I am not gonna call anyone names because I don't do that, but come on man. Why on earth would this guy buy a Z06 and mod it (wheels, exhaust, intake, cam), plan a race with a pullied cobra, and shift at 5500rpms??? Get real!!!!

The only ones making excuses are the fbody guys. The vette guy hasn't said crap. He knows he lost and its on video.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Excuse me...you have a Cobra...have you driven an LS6 long enough to know what the engine sounds like at certain rpm...I have.... so stick to your ferds.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:10 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by PowershifterNC
Excuse me...you have a Cobra...have you driven an LS6 long enough to know what the engine sounds like at certain rpm...I have.... so stick to your ferds.
I am not gonna argue with you because I don't like to. I probably have been around the LS1 before you and yeah I know those cars some what. No I haven't driven an LS6 for a long time but I have driven one, and an LS7, rode in my buddies TT LS6, drug a Lingenfelter 403 C6, and my brother drives a 400rwhp SS. I have also owned a WS6 before my Cobra. So I have some idea, but you still haven't answered my question.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

It's prolly not that he plans to shift early he just does b/c he doesn't know better (more money than sense)...my whole point..he doesn't know how to drive his own car. He probably thought just b/c it was a modded "Zo6" he'd easily take down the Cobra...wrong...he still has to drive it....maybe he learned something from this...I doubt it
Old 03-14-2008, 11:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Paul's_03SVT
I am not gonna call anyone names because I don't do that, but come on man. Why on earth would this guy buy a Z06 and mod it (wheels, exhaust, intake, cam), plan a race with a pullied cobra, and shift at 5500rpms??? Get real!!!!

The only ones making excuses are the fbody guys. The vette guy hasn't said crap. He knows he lost and its on video.
Well stated.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:32 AM
Banned

^ Agreed.

While it may be more common to have the Z06 with 50 less HP to pull a Vert Cobra, its what happens on the street that tells the story.

For power to weight that Cobra moves good.
Thats it, case closed.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Paul's_03SVT
I am not gonna argue with you because I don't like to. I probably have been around the LS1 before you and yeah I know those cars some what. No I haven't driven an LS6 for a long time but I have driven one, and an LS7, rode in my buddies TT LS6, drug a Lingenfelter 403 C6, and my brother drives a 400rwhp SS. I have also owned a WS6 before my Cobra. So I have some idea, but you still haven't answered my question.
the ls6 motors like to be high up in the power band is what powershifter is saying. Due to the torque of the roots system on the cobra, the vette has to make it up on the top. And i know that cobra was using all his power i heard him hit the limiter or damn close to it a couple of times, something i never saw the vette do.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2K1WS6TA
I'm sure they would get laughed off too for making a comment about side veiw mirrors since they are at least curved for air to flow around them instead of them being two large, flat, square headlights on the front of a really aerodynamic car that do nothing but block wind. I'm not stating that each race would have had a totally different outcome. And why do you keep bringing drag racing and time into this like it plays a roll. Aerodynamics doesn't play as much of a roll on the strip as it does in a roll race. You start with no wind resistance at the track (unless you have a head wind) and build it as the race progresses and then shutdown by about 120ish in the 1/4. From a roll, you have that wind resistance from the hit @ 35-40 and it is pretty bad when you shutdown @ 130-140.

Now, that having been said, i'll let it go.
Once again, nice Kill/Death/Kill
For all intents and purposes aerodynamically, punching it from 35-40 is nearly the same as from a dig. I owned a 1995 Formula and 2000 Formula WS6 before my Cobra and I found neither car was noticeably faster with the headlights down.

I understand your point(s) and agree aerodynamics can play a role, I just don't think it made any difference here. I'll let it go too.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 180ls1
the ls6 motors like to be high up in the power band is what powershifter is saying. Due to the torque of the roots system on the cobra, the vette has to make it up on the top. And i know that cobra was using all his power i heard him hit the limiter or damn close to it a couple of times, something i never saw the vette do.
I saw you post about the rev limiter earlier in this thread too.

Bouncing off the limiter is going to make you slower, not faster and how you guys (you and PowerShifterNC ) can tell exactly what RPM's either car was at from a camcorder's audio is questionable (and that's putting it nicely).
Old 03-14-2008, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gnxs
I saw you post about the rev limiter earlier in this thread too.

Bouncing off the limiter is going to make you slower, not faster and how you guys (you and PowerShifterNC ) can tell exactly what RPM's either car was at from a camcorder's audio is questionable (and that's putting it nicely).
really the hitting the rev limiter makes you slower? you missed my point. What i was referring to was that the cobra was getting all the power out of his powerband http://www.andersonfordmotorsport.co...03CobraPMS.jpg see how the cobra keeps making more power all the way to the revlimiter. And if you listen you can hear the cobra get close to the revlimiter, which never happens to the vette. My point is that the cobra owner really knows how to get all the power out of his car and it appears the z06 owner does not.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

really the hitting the rev limiter makes you slower? you missed my point. What i was referring to was that the cobra was getting all the power out of his powerband And if you listen you can hear the cobra get close to the revlimiter, which never happens to the vette. My point is that the cobra owner really knows how to get all the power out of his car and it appears the z06 owner does not.
and to be honest i never heard the z06 crack the rev limiter once so i do not think he was getting all the power out of that motor unlike the cobra driver who knew really how to drive his car
haha right there you make it sound like he should hit the rev limiter.

haha and exactly how far was he from the rev limiter since you can hear that well?

Quick Reply: 03 pullied Cobra vs 04 full exhaust Z06 **vid**