Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

02 B4C vs. Cobra clone?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 06:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 02 B4C vs. Cobra clone?

Any ways guys I'm sitting at the gas station near my house when a black 99+ mustang goes flying by after hammering down after a light. It's loud and looks familiar.

I'd just gotten done pumping the liquid gold so I hop in an give a 10mph over chase. Low and behold about a 1/2 mile up the said mustang is making a u-turn and immediately spots me. He then waits on me as I get into the turn lane. I pull my car up to his and notice it has SVT badging and a cobra bumper and what looks like a six cylinder spoiler. But I can clearly see a GT hood? I recognize the car now. I had seen it about a week earlier with an older man driving and thought to myself someone went through the trouble of getting a cobra bumper but didn't get the hood (gay IMO anyway). The car is pretty friggen loud (typical mustang). Well anyway we go from about 15. Might have been less. My car downshifted nicely into first and as we are going I heard his bark into 2nd. The "Clone" is hanging pretty well and at my bumper. My shift to third comes and this is normally where I begin to walk the gts really bad but he didn't fare that badly. I shut down at about 100 because of the heavily patrolled area heading back toward town and had about 2 cars on him counting the length of my car.

He goes by when I'm turning back to my place and holds his hands out with his fingers like 2 inches apart like it was really close which even though it was closer than I liked it wasn't THAT close. He turned right I turned left and went home scratching my head. If that was a friggen GT my car is slow. Granted that car had at least exhaust but I have raced several gt's;That outcome is not normal.

Head home and open the hood check the freshly changed oil, tranny fluid, etc.....All good. Pop the stock air box and immediately notice it is coming apart. I look up into the maf screen and there is a couple small pieces of foam tape from the factory joint that is stuck on the screen. Damn car had been sucking from a hole behind the filter. I clean it all up and put it back together. Oh and btw the same mustang is patrolling the streets looking for redemption because I live close enough to town that I can hear that thing from my place while I'm screwing with the car. (at least I'm pretty sure it was the same car.....you know the saying mustangs are like ********.........)

Do you guys think that could have had that much of an impact or was that car really a 4v cobra? Hell I have beaten every 05+ Gt (stock) worse...

And btw does anybody have a used lid they might donate to a good (broke) home?
Old 04-16-2008, 08:06 PM
On The Tree

coulda been a full bolt on gt with some gears. when i say full bolt on i mean everything under the sun including longtubes. your relatively stock right?
Old 04-16-2008, 08:17 PM
TECH Regular

Bone stock except tuning and that entails adding timing and firming shifts. So yeah bone stock. I have ran 2 other LS1's and came out slightly ahead even against a manual but they were stock except cat-back on the a4. I really need to get my *** to the track for a timeslip.

Hopefully the stimulus package will stimulate my car's performance
Old 04-16-2008, 08:31 PM
On The Tree

id say if it was a gt it had to be full bolt ons with longtubes, agressive tune and at the very least 3:73's
Old 04-16-2008, 08:36 PM
TECH Regular

No 4v's ever came with a GT hood right?
Old 04-16-2008, 08:40 PM
On The Tree

nope. if it was a 99 cobra it wouldnt even say cobra on the bumper. 01 cobras have a heat extractor style hood. i think 99's do too but i know they dont have a gt hood.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:30 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Dynotune04
nope. if it was a 99 cobra it wouldnt even say cobra on the bumper. 01 cobras have a heat extractor style hood. i think 99's do too but i know they dont have a gt hood.
I thought the 99-01 Cobras had the Cobra on the bumper?
I'm pretty sure you're right about the heat extractor hood on the 99's as well.
Old 04-16-2008, 11:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sarge_13
I thought the 99-01 Cobras had the Cobra on the bumper?
I'm pretty sure you're right about the heat extractor hood on the 99's as well.
same hood, 99s dont say it in the rear bumper, 01s have smoked headlights, the rear badge on 99s say "cobra" underneath svt, and the spoiler is obviously different
Old 04-20-2008, 10:04 AM
12 Second Club

One way to spot a Cobra from behind is to check the taillights. They have amber turn signals, unlike the GTs. They also had the V6 style hoods with the reversed extractor. You can't miss the under-axle exhaust either.

As far as the years go

1999- Mustang lettering on the rear bumper, earlier-styled, pillar-less wing that mounts on each end, and the white headlights.

2000- Ain't thur unless it's an R, and you'd know one if you saw it.

2001- Cobra lettering on rear bumber, newer wing with the pillars built further in, and the smoked headlights.

I'm not even gonna get into the Terminators

Last edited by RaggedRides; 04-20-2008 at 10:14 AM.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:16 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RaggedRides
One way to spot a Cobra from behind is to check the taillights. They have amber turn signals, unlike the GTs. They also had the V6 style hoods with the reversed extractor. You can't miss the under-axle exhaust either.

As far as the years go

1999- Mustang lettering on the rear bumper, earlier-styled, pillar-less wing that mounts on each end, and the white headlights.

2000- only in Australia with the exception of the Cobra R

2001- Cobra lettering on rear bumber, newer wing with the pillars built further in, and the smoked headlights.

I'm not even gonna get into the Terminators
fixed
Old 04-20-2008, 10:34 AM
TECH Regular

I will look for the amber turn signals. He had the older spoiler. I know I will see it around

It definitely had the GT hood though.
Old 04-20-2008, 12:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Surely a clone. There are tons of GT's around here that mismatch Cobra body pieces on their cars. It is very stupid IMO. He probably had intake and full exhasut with some gears, and with your clogged MAF explains the outcome. Does your car have 2.73's or 3.23's?
Old 04-20-2008, 12:46 PM
Staging Lane

Your engine could not breathe! That's why you didn't pull harder.
Old 04-20-2008, 01:59 PM
12 Second Club

What's so bad about bolting up Cobra peices? What about fellows with Z28's running SS hoods or wings?

When I get my '95 GT built again, it's getting an R hood, and Cobra front fascia.
Old 04-20-2008, 03:38 PM
TECH Regular

Oh man guys I found out what was wrong.

My car is a B4C from Colorado with ALL service records. Well according to the records my plugs were changed @ 80,000 with factory replacements. I have 99k now.

I was still bummed I didn't destroy that gt and it has been bugging me so I said I'll just change the plugs. I hadn't yet because of the service records. Friggen boots were all frozen BAD. Pull the plugs and guess what. I've got gaps of up to .085 and pretty much zero electrode left!!!!!! There is no way those have EVER been changed. Slapped in some TR5s with .055 gaps and guess what?
Now I have traction issues.
Lesson learned. Dont trust service records. They LIE!!!

If I see that clone or that srt-four that barely beat me I'm gonna lay down the law on both of them.

Plus that I just pulled off the 20+lb siren that was still on my car

I have 3:23s BTW
Old 04-20-2008, 03:49 PM

Sounds like you fixed yourt problem. Otherwise I was gonna agree with Dynotune04 because I've seen full bolt-on 99-04 GT's trap 105 mph which won't be too far behind a stock LS1.

Also an 01-04 GT hood looks way better than a 99 or 01 Cobra hood IMO.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RaggedRides
What's so bad about bolting up Cobra peices? What about fellows with Z28's running SS hoods or wings?

When I get my '95 GT built again, it's getting an R hood, and Cobra front fascia.
Hoods arent necessarily what I was talking about, IMO the stock hoods on GT's should be one of the first things to change. I mean rear bumpers that have COBRA stamped in them and snake badges and shi!t like that. I wouldnt even put a front bumper on a GT if it was me, but if you like it go ahead. I personally HATE when I see a Z28 car with SS body parts. Im not quite sure why but it just bugs me. Not hating on you, its your car do what you want. Just not for me.
Old 04-23-2008, 06:22 PM
***Repost Police***

When I had my Laser Red '98 GT, I was sent a Crystal White '97 Cobra hood/bumpers. I was gonna sell the rear bumper and put on the front bumper/hood, but I ended up just putting on the hood and selling both the bumpers. IMO, the Cobra frontend/hood is one of the best looking things you can do to an SN95 Mustang
Old 04-23-2008, 07:57 PM
On The Tree

i like trickey things like a terminator driveline(except for the irs) in a bone stock looking gt
Old 04-23-2008, 09:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Lickeyman
Bone stock except tuning and that entails adding timing and firming shifts. So yeah bone stock. I have ran 2 other LS1's and came out slightly ahead even against a manual but they were stock except cat-back on the a4. I really need to get my *** to the track for a timeslip.

Hopefully the stimulus package will stimulate my car's performance
Ermm.. how can you be 'bone stock' and still use the term 'EXCEPT'???

"I'm a virgin, except for the 1 time I had sex"