Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

'96 Z28 vs. '03 BMW M3

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 09:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow '96 Z28 vs. '03 BMW M3

This story never happend and is completely made up. It is just a dream I had last night..

So today I was out getting some lunch and enjoyin the weather with the T-tops off and as I am on my way home I see this Black BMW M3 Coupe following me. I get to a 4 way stop and he honks and I pull to the side so he can pull up next to me. He asks if I wanna run them and I said no, being I figured I would get raped as I knew nothing about BMW's and it looked newer so I figured it was quick. I also am not into racing on the streets as I don't feel that safe doing it and don't think it is worth the risk, but I thought it would be fun just to do one run so I said ok. He said it was stock and only is rated at 333hp. He said isn't that an LS1? I said no, it's just an LT1 so it's not as fast and was only rated at 285hp. He asked what I had done and I told him not a whole lot, and that I was mostly stock. So I agreed to have a fun run with him out in the country. On our way out I was thinking maybe I should put my T-tops back on as it creates more drag on the car, but I decided to just leave them off since this was for fun and I would prob. get beat anyways.

We lined up and his buddy counted off to 3. We both launched and I pulled a tiny bit at first which I am guessing is due to the extra torque I have over him, and we grabbed second at damn near the exact same time, we stayed neck-and-neck up to around 75-80 it seemed like, then he slowly started to edge ahead a half a car to a car length or so on me in which time I let out and hit the brakes around 90-95 I beleive, being the road wasn't that great and I hit a rut or something on the edge of the road and the car wanted to pull hard to the side, plus we were running out of road really quick.

That is how I remember it, I am not sure exactly how much I pulled him at first or how much he pulled at the end, as I was mroe focused on staying on the road and watchin my tach for the shifts, and being as safe as I possibly could while doing this.

All in all, I was suprised I held with him that well, being I am not the greatest at launching and am not the fastest shifter out there, but I held my own to say the least. He was also suprised and said that from what he read the M3's run near the same as stock LS1's. I said that I was about on par with a stock LS1 with my mod's so that made sense. It was a fun race and he and his buddy were cool guys. I found out he goes to my school so we might just have to run them again. I think my adrenaline was still going 15 minutes after the race was even over, lol.

Oh and like I said he was stock and my mods are: Mostly suspension/brakes for roadcourse, and then I just have 3.73's in the rear, Borla Exhaust, Moroso Intake, the free mods, an underdrive pulley, and a MSD coil.

BTW, A computer created digital video will be posted this week of this dream I had on his BMW site, and I will post it up on here then for anyone who wants to see, as his buddy got the whole thing on video from the passenger seat of the M3.

Well just thought I would share my first real worthwhile race in the Z28.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like an awesome race. I can't wait to see the video.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good runs, and that is a damn nice looking car.
Old 04-21-2008, 12:50 PM
TECH Resident

I can't wait to see the video either, so hopefully he gets it posted up soon.

Thanks for the compliment 180ls1
Old 04-21-2008, 02:28 PM
On The Tree

If you are gonna race something that close to you, please put the T-Tops ON.

Keep those suckers on, tell him to lose the passenger, video tape, post.

That will be one edge of our seat race.

Dan
Old 04-21-2008, 03:07 PM
Launching!

Good job. With the LT1's low end combined with your 3.73's I'm not surprised you hanged to 70-80. Those M3's average mid to low 13's trapping at 105 stock. Like most Bimmer performance cars they pull pretty hard at 80+.
Old 04-21-2008, 03:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by hurley_21_07
If you are gonna race something that close to you, please put the T-Tops ON.

Keep those suckers on, tell him to lose the passenger, video tape, post.

That will be one edge of our seat race.

Dan
If we run them again I will make sure to have them on.

It wasn't arranged or anything, just drove out to the country and lined up for fun, so if I would have known it was gonna be that close I would have put them back on.. Oh well, live and learn.
Old 04-21-2008, 05:12 PM

Excellent race! I'd rather lose a neck and neck race than win by a mile.

Very nice looking car! I love the silver emblems!
Old 04-21-2008, 05:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

good race,not bad for an LT1.
can't wait to see the video
Old 04-21-2008, 07:03 PM
On The Tree

Same as everyone else.
Old 04-22-2008, 12:59 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks guys,

Still waitin on the video, so hopefully I hear from him soon!