Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Lost again need some suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 09:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lost again need some suggestions

Alright guys I went out last night with a few local guys and since my car seems to be the "new ride" out this year, tons of people want to run me. Well another buddy of mine has a basically stock z28 with just a fuddle 3600 stall, 3.73's, exhaust, lid, and cut out. Then you can see my sig below even being cammed.

We had 3 runs also I had 3 people total in my car(M6) and he was by himself. I still have stock 3.42 gears and only a mail order tune at the moment. Ok we did 3 honks first run I missed 2nd just shut down right away. Second run he got a slight jump and beat me by about a half a car. Third run pretty much the same outcome and I noticed I slowly start to reel him in but we shut down before I get to pass him. What I can't figure out is with my mods I should be around 400rwhp give or take some and hes pretty much stock with stall. Is this a normal outcome or what the hell is going wrong here?
Old 05-15-2008, 09:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like the driver mod needs to be installed.
Old 05-15-2008, 09:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Many possibilities. First thing get your car dyno'd and tuned properly. Running a cam like that needs a custom tune for YOUR car. A dyno will also help identify any other issues.

Other tests - take it to the track and run it. And don't even give a chuff at looking at your ET's, just look at terminal speed. A low trap means something is def up. Low ET means it could be driver error as much as anything else.

As for not losing races try these:

1. Don't race
2. Race only cars which are much slower
Old 05-15-2008, 09:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by miller456
Alright guys I went out last night with a few local guys and since my car seems to be the "new ride" out this year, tons of people want to run me. Well another buddy of mine has a basically stock z28 with just a fuddle 3600 stall, 3.73's, exhaust, lid, and cut out. Then you can see my sig below even being cammed.

We had 3 runs also I had 3 people total in my car(M6) and he was by himself. I still have stock 3.42 gears and only a mail order tune at the moment. Ok we did 3 honks first run I missed 2nd just shut down right away. Second run he got a slight jump and beat me by about a half a car. Third run pretty much the same outcome and I noticed I slowly start to reel him in but we shut down before I get to pass him. What I can't figure out is with my mods I should be around 400rwhp give or take some and hes pretty much stock with stall. Is this a normal outcome or what the hell is going wrong here?

First of all, weight will get you everytime. Second, get a real tune! Third, you need to learn that with an M6 car/stock gearing/donkey dick cam, you need to use 1st gear in all roll races under 45-50mph. The reasoning behind that is when you shift out of 1st into 2nd, it puts you right into your power band as opposed to starting out in the bottom of second gear. What are you shifting at?
Old 05-15-2008, 10:04 AM
TECH Regular

I would check all the easy stuff, plugs etc....A stalled a4 is no slouch; I bet he has the 16" wheels too. Remember rotational mass is very important. Also double check he isn't hiding some mods.

Might want to double check your tune with a reputable tuner or tune it yourself. You might have a TON of power your leaving on the table.

I am assuming you didn't run from a stop? Don't run him from a stop unless you don't mind losing worse.

Or it could be a case of driver/passenger delete mod FTMFW LOL!!!
Every 100lbs= is around a 1/10 of a second at our power levels. If you have fat friends tell em to
Old 05-15-2008, 10:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lilbuddy1587
First of all, weight will get you everytime. Second, get a real tune! Third, you need to learn that with an M6 car/stock gearing/donkey dick cam, you need to use 1st gear in all roll races under 45-50mph. The reasoning behind that is when you shift out of 1st into 2nd, it puts you right into your power band as opposed to starting out in the bottom of second gear. What are you shifting at?
I am decent at shifting only had one missed gear the whole night, and I do shift out of first to 2nd. Except him being stalled with 3.73's and me being stock hes at like 4k when im at only 3 so its hard to get in the powerband for both of us. When we took off I was at most at 3k MAYBE and I shift at 6200, I just installed an autometer shift light and wow how that helps.

I'm not out to race slower cars, but I do run equal or in this case a car i figured I should pull on. I guess a combination of 3 people, stock gearing and only a mail order tune is holding me back that much?

Also yes hes on 16's with nitto555R drag radials
Old 05-15-2008, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

I am decent at shifting only had one missed gear the whole night, and I do shift out of first to 2nd. Except him being stalled with 3.73's and me being stock hes at like 4k when im at only 3 so its hard to get in the powerband for both of us. When we took off I was at most at 3k MAYBE and I shift at 6200, I just installed an autometer shift light and wow how that helps.

I'm not out to race slower cars, but I do run equal or in this case a car i figured I should pull on. I guess a combination of 3 people, stock gearing and only a mail order tune is holding me back that much?

You're shifting @ 6200......?

You need to be shifting that car @ 6700-6800 with that cam to keep it in the power band dude... Get yourself a REAL tune, stop racing with extra people in your car and run that bitch out to 67-6800! You don't NEED gears, just learn how to use your stock gearing to your advantage. Also, do you have an LS1 intake or LS6? That would be a big limiting factor as well because a cam like the MS4 really starts to shine in the upper R's where the LS1 chokes off and the LS6 starts to shine.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You need to be shifting that car @ 6700-6800 with that cam to keep it in the power band dude... Get yourself a REAL tune, stop racing with extra people in your car and run that bitch out to 67-6800!
98 with weaker rod bolts and 92k also equals spun bearing im not looking to do that right now I just got it out like a month ago.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:41 AM
TECH Regular

First, You aren't shifting anywhere where you should running that cam. There are some guys shifting over 7k with that thing. Stock bottom end guys average about 6700-6800 with it.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ight=shift+ms4

Second, NEVER START AT 3K!!!!!!!!

Lastly, a smartly modded lower hp car can wipe your *** all over the place if your not shifting at the right spot and running high speeds. And just because you don't miss shifts means your a good shifter.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

98 with weaker rod bolts and 92k also equals spun bearing im not looking to do that right now I just got it out like a month ago.
No sir, as long as you regularly check your oil, there will be no spun bearings. If you're not willing to take full advantage of that cam you need to pull it out. That cam peaks @ 6100-6200 and you're shifting right at peak. That means you drop out of your power band every time you shift.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:42 AM
TECH Regular

Upgrade them then. You probably made your car slower with a donkey dick and don't rev it.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lickeyman
First, You aren't shifting anywhere where you should running that cam. There are some guys shifting over 7k with that thing. Stock bottom end guys average about 6700-6800 with it.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ight=shift+ms4

Second, NEVER START AT 3K!!!!!!!!

Lastly, a smartly modded lower hp car can wipe your *** all over the place if your not shifting at the right spot and running high speeds. And just because you don't miss shifts means your a good shifter.
Yes sir

Upgrade them then. You probably made your car slower with a donkey dick and don't rev it.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You need to be shifting that car @ 6700-6800 with that cam to keep it in the power band dude... Get yourself a REAL tune, stop racing with extra people in your car and run that bitch out to 67-6800! You don't NEED gears, just learn how to use your stock gearing to your advantage. Also, do you have an LS1 intake or LS6? That would be a big limiting factor as well because a cam like the MS4 really starts to shine in the upper R's where the LS1 chokes off and the LS6 starts to shine.
x2
you are choking down that cam like crazy because the limiter is set at 6200 that cam is a top end cam so you need to be reving it out there. With the higher shift point and a good tune i would not be suprised if you would see another 40 peak rwhp and also quite a bit more through the whole curve from 3k and up. also your buddies if together they weigh 300lbs that is good for 30 horsepower or so.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

alright well I will work on getting some 4.10s soon and change my pill out then for my shift light and rev the **** out of her and see how I hold up. Also this is the first time i had 2 other passengers alot of the time each car has a passenger for filming purposes, it cant help rolling out at only 3k either im sure. I can always run him again with no passengers hope I make it home.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

alright well I will work on getting some 4.10s soon and change my pill out then for my shift light and rev the **** out of her and see how I hold up. Also this is the first time i had 2 other passengers alot of the time each car has a passenger for filming purposes, it cant help rolling out at only 3k either im sure. I can always run him again with no passengers hope I make it home.
Like I said, you don't need 4.10's. Spend that gear money on an LS6 intake and a good tune.

Just learn that 1st gear, while roll racing under 40-45mph = first gear. Wrap that bitch out to 6700 and watch as your car just pulls and pulls.
Old 05-15-2008, 10:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Like I said, you don't need 4.10's. Spend that gear money on an LS6 intake and a good tune.

Just learn that 1st gear, while roll racing under 40-45mph = first gear. Wrap that bitch out to 6700 and watch as your car just pulls and pulls.
that I will do lol and I already have an ls6 intake as shown in my sig . I have plenty of breathing room for my cam I guess im just ******* it as you suggested. The mail order tune was from TSP so i figured I was "alright" for now. TSP also suggested 4.10's if I was getting this cam before I purchased it from them I just need to get a 9" or 12 bolt too.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:01 AM
TECH Regular

If your worried about a problem get new rod bolts and have a real tune done. You'll blow him out of the water then. Especially from a roll.

If you can drive that is
Old 05-15-2008, 11:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep that cam is supposed to be ran to 6700rpm bc it doesn't even peak until 6400.. I think you chose the wrong cam buddy, and also you need to get some gears, that will wake that damn car up. Also dont race with people in your car especially 3 .. Figuring they weigh 150 a piece thats right at half a sec slower that what you should be running. All you did was found out what cam made the most power, and didn't think about your goals, or even how high you could turn the car. IMO, you just have a bad setup unless your planning on getting gears and rod bolts anytime soon.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If your worried about a problem get new rod bolts and have a real tune done. You'll blow him out of the water then. Especially from a roll.

If you can drive that is
HAHAHA im not perfect by anymeans but not terrible either, I might change my pill after work and go practice today and post my results. OH YEA I forgot to mention my hurst shift **** broke on the first run and it just spins in circles on the shifter now . I just ordered a pistol grip UMI shift **** from ws6store its such a PITA to shift when the **** moves all over.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:18 AM
TECH Regular

HAHAHA im not perfect by anymeans but not terrible either, I might change my pill after work and go practice today and post my results. OH YEA I forgot to mention my hurst shift **** broke on the first run and it just spins in circles on the shifter now . I just ordered a pistol grip UMI shift **** from ws6store its such a PITA to shift when the **** moves all over.
Honestly I don't see how you shift with the pro 5.0. I hated that shifter when I drove a car with it. Some people love em though.

Do you know what tsp put the limiter at by the way?