Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Going to a car show I run into a Shelby GT 500

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2008, 10:51 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to a car show I run into a Shelby GT 500

This morning I headed to Grand Haven MI to check out the car show. I see a red Mustang coming up on me, I slow down a bit to check it out because it looks like another Roush like the one I saw last week. Oh....is no Roush, it is
the Shelby GT 500

It is driven by a white hair man and his wife, they have to be 65-70. Why is it that all these performance cars are driven by older people? 50k that's why.
I pointed straight ahead and reved at him, he smiled and after a second gesture by me I signaled 3 honks and he got the idea.

Well people, he didn't even put a fight, I put a car on him inmediately and walked him pretty hard. We caught up with each other at the light in town, I asked him to roll his window and I commented how nice his car was. He smiled and said thanks, I asked him how much power they put out ( I know it is 500, I wanted to hear his response ) He said.......I was in forth gear when we went, I answered so was I, then he replied again, it is a 6 speed and I was in 4rth. WTF?? the guy didn't know how to drive at all? We were doing 80 so 4rth gear should have been goodfor him also no?

I have seen in person a very good driver run consistent 12.4@ 112
So definetely this old man didn't know what he was doing.

Even thought it was not a fair race because of skill it still feels great to see one of those fall hard. They were nice when talking but a bit embarrassed I am afraid.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:01 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by itterref
This morning I headed to Grand Haven MI to check out the car show. I see a red Mustang coming up on me, I slow down a bit to check it out because it looks like another Roush like the one I saw last week. Oh....is no Roush, it is
the Shelby GT 500

It is driven by a white hair man and his wife, they have to be 65-70. Why is it that all these performance cars are driven by older people? 50k that's why.
I pointed straight ahead and reved at him, he smiled and after a second gesture by me I signaled 3 honks and he got the idea.

Well people, he didn't even put a fight, I put a car on him inmediately and walked him pretty hard. We caught up with each other at the light in town, I asked him to roll his window and I commented how nice his car was. He smiled and said thanks, I asked him how much power they put out ( I know it is 500, I wanted to hear his response ) He said.......I was in forth gear when we went, I answered so was I, then he replied again, it is a 6 speed and I was in 4rth. WTF?? the guy didn't know how to drive at all? We were doing 80 so 4rth gear should have been goodfor him also no?

I have seen in person a very good driver run consistent 12.4@ 112
So definetely this old man didn't know what he was doing.

Even thought it was not a fair race because of skill it still feels great to see one of those fall hard. They were nice when talking but a bit embarrassed I am afraid.
He should have been in 3rd at 80mph. He wouldn't be in 4th til about 110 if he's shifting at redline. Good run nonetheless.
Old 07-13-2008, 11:29 AM
12 Second Club

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sarge_13
He should have been in 3rd at 80mph. He wouldn't be in 4th til about 110 if he's shifting at redline. Good run nonetheless.
+1 3rd for sure
Old 07-13-2008, 12:19 PM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Good kill but also realize that a guy of that age does not have his pride on the line with a street race so I would be surprised if he could actually wring 80% of the actual potential out of that car on the street or at the track. He is the guy who runs 13-14's @ 105 usually and yes he should have been in 3rd.
Old 07-13-2008, 01:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by z28_YOU_HO
+1 3rd for sure
I guess that explains why I pulled him so hard. I don't know but I think all these older people buy these cars for the nostalgic flavor they offer. Not necesarly because of the potential the car may have performance wise.
Old 07-13-2008, 01:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2
Good kill but also realize that a guy of that age does not have his pride on the line with a street race so I would be surprised if he could actually wring 80% of the actual potential out of that car on the street or at the track. He is the guy who runs 13-14's @ 105 usually and yes he should have been in 3rd.
I think it had more to do with him thinking his 500hp Mustang should beat anything in the street no problem. Maybe he underestimated the ability of the competition? I bet the next time he plays this fellow will be in the right gear.
Old 07-13-2008, 01:37 PM
11 Second Club

I guess that explains why I pulled him so hard. I don't know but I think all these older people buy these cars for the nostalgic flavor they offer. Not necesarly because of the potential the car may have performance wise.
You think?

For sure. They like the old school look, and want to spend some of that nest egg and relive old childhood memories.. That is in MOST cases, not all. I have only run into one Grey Hair that actually ran the **** outta his car, and embarrassed a few people. This isnt just for the Mustangs either.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:06 PM
Teching In

You beat a 70 year old and you posted it.

Wow good kill!!!!!!
Old 07-13-2008, 10:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think it had more to do with him thinking his 500hp Mustang should beat anything in the street no problem. Maybe he underestimated the ability of the competition? I bet the next time he plays this fellow will be in the right gear.
i doubt he cares some kid in a camaro beats him
Old 07-13-2008, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by flash0080

Wow good kill!!!!!!
a 70ish year old who drove a GT500 not a grand marquis
Old 07-14-2008, 12:39 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by black_phoenix
a 70ish year old who drove a GT500 not a grand marquis
Couldve been driving a top fueler and still lost due to a 70 year old delayed reaction from the brain to his feet.

I still dont think I wouldve posted that.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:41 AM
11 Second Club

Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Couldve been driving a top fueler and still lost due to a 70 year old delayed reaction from the brain to his feet.

I still dont think I wouldve posted that.
Tell that to some old school NHRAers.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:43 AM
Launching!

Goodkill OP. Read either one of my post about my GT500 expereince.

They got an old white guy in my area with a 02 SS that runs the **** out of his car all the time, on the track, the street he don't care, it aint stock either....o yeah, he paralized from the hips down I'm pretty sure so he races with paddels by the wheel because he can't move his legs.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:36 AM
Teching In

Wow good kill!!!!!!
We are assuming he was 65-70..................Having said that I do remember a
fellow that drove for the Bob Sharp Racing team, racing mainly Nissans. He became heavily associated with the brand during the '80s, even appearing in commercials for them. At the age of 70, he became the oldest driver to be part of a winning team in a major sanctioned race, the 24 Hours of Daytona in 1995. I think he was a pretty good actor also
Old 07-14-2008, 09:38 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 88blackgt
i doubt he cares some kid in a camaro beats him
I am not a kid, just another enthusiast like him. Believe me, you don't stop loving fast cars when you get old and turn 30

I am 45.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

you really think an old man bought the gt500 because he's thinking that it will beat everything out there...this was probably one of the last things on his mind when he bought the car..."im 70 and this car should beat anything out there so thats why im buying this gt500"...are you kidding me?

i see old men driving the nicest of cars all the time...a lot of classics too

and i agree he could probably care less about getting beat by some camaro. he probably knows he wasn't giving it all its got
Old 07-14-2008, 04:15 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mrbigjeep
you really think an old man bought the gt500 because he's thinking that it will beat everything out there...this was probably one of the last things on his mind when he bought the car..."im 70 and this car should beat anything out there so thats why im buying this gt500"...are you kidding me?

i see old men driving the nicest of cars all the time...a lot of classics too

and i agree he could probably care less about getting beat by some camaro. he probably knows he wasn't giving it all its got
If you pay attention I said a few post above that nostalgia plays a huge role with these older buyers. I never implied to have insight as to why this man bought this car...lol

The internet still cracks me up, now we have someone debating the reason a total stranger to everyone here, might have had to buy this car.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:39 PM
Teching In

Dont take it to seriously from me.Im just giving you a hard time.You should expect a little ribbing for racing a 65-70 year old.
Old 07-14-2008, 07:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

age doesnt matter. The older gentleman knew what was going on. a kill is a kill, regardeless. Nice kill OP
Old 07-14-2008, 09:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SPLATT
age doesnt matter. The older gentleman knew what was going on. a kill is a kill, regardeless. Nice kill OP
Ditto.