Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Killed an RX8...nothing special

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 09:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Killed an RX8...nothing special

I pulled up to a red light next to a gray metallic rx8. I am just MMOB and then young guy, maybe 17 or 18, yelled, "Hey what do you have in that thing?" I thought he meant mods but I think he really just meant what engine. I said headers, exhaust, cam...he asked me if it was the LS1? I told him yes. Then he asked if I wanted to race. I said sure but this intersection had construction work going on and the roads sucked. He said who cares! Then a car pulled into his lane in front of him as the light turned green. We went down a couple miles until we hit a red light with an open road ahead of us. He said that he knew I was going to win, and his car has no torque at all and it's completely stock. I told him I spin pretty bad on the launch at times so he will still probably outlaunch me.

The light turns green and I slip the clutch and launch easily. I hear him revving that thing high right before the launch and then he chirps the tires and yet he is still behind me and I barely even launched...damn right it doesn't have any torque! I just mashed 1st gear and pulled hard and by 100 I had around 2 buses on him. Not sure if he left off or what. He came up side by side again and then we did a couple rolls with him getting the jump just so he had a chance, but it was the same results. There was another teenager in the passenger seat and they were both pretty cool even after getting owned. I bet it was his dad's car.

Chalk up another easy kill...

After that I see a GTO at the end of a long driveway under some trees with a "for sale" sign. I didn't have time to stop and look but this person put this gto for sale in a crappy place and it looked dirty as hell.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:36 AM
TECH Resident

nice snack! those rx-8's are slow. I dont know why they made them n/a. lost a lot of market there.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:41 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by imnotplutonium
nice snack! those rx-8's are slow. I dont know why they made them n/a. lost a lot of market there.
gimme a RX-7 anyday...

nice slaughter
Old 07-18-2008, 02:13 PM
12 Second Club

a friend if mine builds rx7's mostly the 93- they can run and be pretty scary but he redid a rx8 turboed it and it ran about as good as a stock FD. crappy cars and probley most un reliable ever
Old 07-18-2008, 03:32 PM
Banned

I have driven a couple rx8s and yes they lack in trq soo bad. Rotary+N/A=horrible trq. 165trq would only be good in the world of motorcycles in a car its lacking. But they do handle like Jesus on rollerskates
Old 07-18-2008, 10:35 PM
TECH Resident

theres a couple around here and the guys driving them think theyre the ****.. I had some mouthy buddies with me one time when i pulled up to one at a light. He was sitting there with his chick and my buddy yelled over to him asked if he wanted to run. Guy said that he would smoke me, so my buddy yells that after we rape his car that we were going to take his girl for a good ride hahaha. Long story short i beat him by about 3 cars and at the next light he wouldn't roll down the window but i'm buddy was still going off yelling all type of ****. Good stuff, i hate cocky posers. I never mouth off unless someone starts it but i love when my buddies start ****.
Old 07-20-2008, 10:46 AM
Teching In

my wife's thinkin bout gettin an rx8.. been doin about a month of research on it. some friends suggested 350z and the solstice.. but neither are overall as good as the 2006 and newer "8s". They are like driving a train in a straight line.. you don't feel like youre moving. You gotta rev it past 5k to get anything outta the motor, and it loves 9k shifts. As soon as you turn the wheel though, it becomes a 911 gt2 competitor in terms of skid pad G's and overall handling.

Anywho, the guy in the 8 shoulda known better than to mess with an f-body. rofl!!! GM dumdumdum.

*PS: im a very open minded car guy, mazda did a LOT of revisions to the 8 in 2006 and later.. its become 100% more reliable and the rotary only has 2 querks; you can't start the car..move 10ft and turn the car off.. itll flood the chambers;and it burns 1/2 qt of oil every 500 miles because it injects oil into the corner seals of the rotors to lubricate them. It's part of the make-up of the engine and as long as you dont forget to check and you use good oil.. its fine. Just thought i'd add my 2 cents
Old 07-20-2008, 12:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i thought they finally fixed that problem of using the oil, damn.

the flooding my friend loved those people (he was a Mazda tech) would always get easy hour to fix that ****, he told me the motor's would only last like 50k miles because people didn't know how to treat them, they have a pile of rotor housings with rotors' all over the place as scrap metal lol
Old 07-20-2008, 01:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ScottMD65Tmp
my wife's thinkin bout gettin an rx8.. been doin about a month of research on it. some friends suggested 350z and the solstice.. but neither are overall as good as the 2006 and newer "8s". They are like driving a train in a straight line.. you don't feel like youre moving. You gotta rev it past 5k to get anything outta the motor, and it loves 9k shifts. As soon as you turn the wheel though, it becomes a 911 gt2 competitor in terms of skid pad G's and overall handling.

Anywho, the guy in the 8 shoulda known better than to mess with an f-body. rofl!!! GM dumdumdum.

*PS: im a very open minded car guy, mazda did a LOT of revisions to the 8 in 2006 and later.. its become 100% more reliable and the rotary only has 2 querks; you can't start the car..move 10ft and turn the car off.. itll flood the chambers;and it burns 1/2 qt of oil every 500 miles because it injects oil into the corner seals of the rotors to lubricate them. It's part of the make-up of the engine and as long as you dont forget to check and you use good oil.. its fine. Just thought i'd add my 2 cents

Yeah, they're great daily drivers if you don't care about going fast. It's a fun car for sure.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:21 PM
TECH Addict

I beat one by about 5 car lengths to 90 in my stock '07 V6 Mustang....
Old 07-20-2008, 02:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sarge_13
I beat one by about 5 car lengths to 90 in my stock '07 V6 Mustang....
there not that slow.
Old 07-20-2008, 02:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by GXPPOWER
there not that slow.
Um...yeah, they are. Automatics are anyway.
Old 07-20-2008, 03:27 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Sarge_13
Um...yeah, they are. Automatics are anyway.
i agree..i ran one a long time ago when i had boltons on the highway and it was extremely slow...i was barely getting on it and i still beat him badly
Old 07-20-2008, 05:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by reject
i thought they finally fixed that problem of using the oil, damn.
Rotarys have to inject oil into the rotor housing to help and lubricate the apex seals...its basicly a 2 cycle motor if you think about it...and a common thing to change on them (older 7's) is to take off the oil metering pump because it usually fails or gets clogged up, then you just mix in a small bottle of 2 cycle oil into the fuel tank at every fill...and thats also why you're not supposed to use synthetic oil in a rotary that still has that pump

To be honest, if I did a lot of road racing or lived where there were more curvey roads, the RX8 would destroy an F-body hands down.

I test drove an RX8, and to be honest, I like the interior and the feel, and damn did I love revving that engine up...no torque, but their not supposed to be fast in a straight line, its in the twisties is where they earn their supper...anyone who thinks opposite of that hasn't done much research when it comes to rotaries and Mazda in general

Sorry to sound like a fanboy, but I do like those RX8's and mazdas in general...great suspension tuning...
Old 07-21-2008, 09:08 AM
TECH Resident

I have heard they handle great. Never drove one though. I do like the rear suicide doors. those are a nice feature on a coupe.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:56 PM
12 Second Club

I have an RX-8 and a 99 T/A. The RX-8 is probably the slowest car in it's class, but cornering makes the T/A feel like a bus around the turns compared to the 8. The interior and options on the GT put the T/A to shame.

But I still bought the T/A, because I missed the torque of a good V-8 like the last T/A I had (94). They are both beautiful cars. In a couple of years I will be looking at getting a Vette (handling and power in one).

I asked my fiance which car she would want to keep as her DD. I told her the T/A is faster, gets slightly better gas mileage and has T-Tops. She still chose the RX-8.

BTW most people have problems with the rotary engine, because they drive it too conservatively. Rotarys need some WOT 9k shifts to clear the carbon out every once in awhile.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:56 PM
***Repost Police***

That's something a lot of people don't understand... driving your car like a ***** all the time doesn't help it