Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

So i lost to an 05+ GT

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 05:30 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Loveracing
My sig.

LS1's have had plenty more years to mod while most new GT owners either get light mods, or don't mod but would rather pay the car off. Once a few years pass and these new one's get modded like you guys, you'll have some good runs and even deaths too.
yeah but you have the aftermarket support right now and i'm sure that there are more 05+ GTs on the road right now than LS1 f-bodies.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You would have had him, I raced an 08(I think, has the fake hood scoop) GT M5 with a couple exhaust mods and a k&n intake in my parents 01 SS A4 bone stock and beat him.
Old 08-03-2008, 01:24 PM
Teching In

good run man... Although I have to say that I haven't really been impressed by 05+ they all seem pretty slow to me....I would take a 00-04 anyday Just personal preference though.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Loveracing
My sig.

LS1's have had plenty more years to mod while most new GT owners either get light mods, or don't mod but would rather pay the car off. Once a few years pass and these new one's get modded like you guys, you'll have some good runs and even deaths too.
yea and if you want me to list my kills against mustangs its way over +5 and im pretty much stock? so ya... and these are from old 5.0 to 4.6 to new mustangs.

Originally Posted by Camaroplus
good run man... Although I have to say that I haven't really been impressed by 05+ they all seem pretty slow to me....I would take a 00-04 anyday Just personal preference though.
yea me neither... i raced an manual 05+ gt with exhaust and no cats n some other mods from a 30 mph roll and killed him. and im pretty much stock? so idn.. the only race an 05+ gt almost had me is an auto with pretty much same mods as the other. we went off the line and i had NO! tires at all. did some burnouts the night before. and he got me off the line as i was spinning through 2 gear and finally caught up to him and passed him? so idn.... there isnt to much power there. but i "heard" that when they got some bolt ons and minor mods there pretty powerful. but i have yet to see that?

Last edited by DoggyB22; 08-03-2008 at 03:35 PM.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:00 PM
TECH Addict

Well im not trying to say, there pretty fast or anything. Just really impressed at how much better they are 05+ compared to the 04 down GT's.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:28 PM
TECH Addict

+1 tho I'd take an 03-04 cobra, GT's have never impressed me, they can be made into fast cars like anything but they take more $$$ to do it..
Old 08-03-2008, 05:48 PM
Teching In

I blew the doors off a 05 mustang gt in my old 97 30th anv Camaro Z28 A4 vert (LT1). My car only had a k&n, spintech muffler, and superchip progamer. Anyways it happened on the street. We went red light to red light more then once and I pulled on it pretty good each time.

I pulled next to the 05 mustang gt and asked the driver if it was stock, he said yes. It was a hard top and auto also. Still even with the minor mods I had on my car, it still wasnt as quick as a LS1 in stock form. So definately LS1 > 05 mustang gt EASY.

Anyone in traffic can downshift and catch you off guard and pull in front of you then shut down when youre about to blow the doors off it. I used to do it in a 00 Cavalier (5 speed) to everyone its easy especially in a manual. Its called "ricer fly by". I get this all the time now I drive 2 clean SS's and POS cars that think their car is hot but dont have a pair to get side to side or catch a redlight together for a fair race.

You should be able to tell that ive had my experience with these type of situations on the street. I just want to make it clear stock for stock or mod for mod, in a real race dead stop both good drivers (dont matter M6 or A4 in both cars), an LS1 will dust any mustang gt any year no matter what.

End of subject.

Last edited by 98SScamaro; 08-03-2008 at 05:56 PM.
Old 08-03-2008, 05:57 PM
TECH Addict

Yeaa, this guy was a lil weird. I think he thought he was hot **** afterwords, because after we shut it down. Drove for a bit, he then took off again. Got into my lane and signalled to turn off and went slowly till i came up to passing him, he threw another rev at me....Either that or he threw the rev in a "good race" type manner. Idk but seemed kinda odd that he wouldnt stay alongside me and do the 3 honks.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:03 PM
Teching In

Exactly. So you didnt lose man. You just suffered a case of "ricer fly by". Not even a loss in my eyes. Dont do roll races unless the other car paces you or its from a stop or this can happen to you again. It really sux though when you know your car is faster. hehehe
Old 08-03-2008, 06:08 PM
TECH Addict

haha yeaa, 1st thing i said when he shut it down was "you bitch" lol
Old 08-03-2008, 06:13 PM
Teching In

Funny! I feel u all the way. I been there before.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 98SScamaro
Still even with the minor mods I had on my car, it still wasnt as quick as a LS1 in stock form. So definately LS1 > 05 mustang gt EASY.

Anyone in traffic can downshift and catch you off guard and pull in front of you then shut down when youre about to blow the doors off it. I used to do it in a 00 Cavalier (5 speed) to everyone its easy especially in a manual. Its called "ricer fly by". I get this all the time now I drive 2 clean SS's and POS cars that think their car is hot but dont have a pair to get side to side or catch a redlight together for a fair race.

You should be able to tell that ive had my experience with these type of situations on the street. I just want to make it clear stock for stock or mod for mod, in a real race dead stop both good drivers (dont matter M6 or A4 in both cars), an LS1 will dust any mustang gt any year no matter what.

End of subject.
Exactly +1
but now let the "mustang" drama begin. of course there say ahh no thats not true. stock for stock it will be even of the line blah blah. right?

Originally Posted by Badguy7
Yeaa, this guy was a lil weird. I think he thought he was hot **** afterwords, because after we shut it down. Drove for a bit, he then took off again. Got into my lane and signalled to turn off and went slowly till i came up to passing him, he threw another rev at me....Either that or he threw the rev in a "good race" type manner. Idk but seemed kinda odd that he wouldnt stay alongside me and do the 3 honks.
yea and i BET you he went and told all of his friends he just KILLED an camaro! haha right... see thats why i dont like "owners" they buy them thinking their new and fast. and can beat us old cars, but really were a lot faster and they have to find others ways to win.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:24 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Badguy, do you have 2.73's? I suspect you do. If so, they definitely aren't helping you out.

But as everyone already said, a stall will help the most. I'd race people and ALWAYS have to play catch up while I was in a dead spot. Now that I'm stalled I'm the one who gets the jump every time.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

^ with 2.73's roll racing at 35 is almost perfect. That is the top limit for first gear kickdown, and I love how mine pulls at first gear kickdown.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:46 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Badguy7
Well im not trying to say, there pretty fast or anything. Just really impressed at how much better they are 05+ compared to the 04 down GT's.
Good Death
They are pretty good to a stockish LS1 auto.Drivers race , U cant underestimate them but you have audio system which adds weight maybe 100lbs and an auto on roll races try 20 mph or 55 mph 70 mph against mustangs wheather they are M5 or auto. Good luck next time. I would lose the system if you going to race. Sell it for some performance mods.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:03 PM
Teching In

no sweat, i own a 06 mustang and dont mind admitting that stock vs. stock the ls1 is quicker than the 3v stang. usually between .3 -.5 sec in the 1/4. from what i have seen the 3v and the lt1 are pretty much a drivers race stock but the 3v has more potential than the lt where as the ls has more potential than either!
Old 08-04-2008, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by 98SScamaro

I pulled next to the 05 mustang gt and asked the driver if it was stock, he said yes. It was a hard top and auto also. Still even with the minor mods I had on my car, it still wasnt as quick as a LS1 in stock form. So definately LS1 > 05 mustang gt EASY.
I've run into plenty of guys that thought like this. If you're LT1 isn't as quick as your LS1 in stock form, there's NO WAY you should have blown the doors off an s197. I'm not saying it didn't happen, because you could've been racing a guy that bought his first stick or something, but you shouldn't have. I'd like to take on your LT1 since we both have some mods, but dammit, I'm not in the same town. And you should be in the mid to low 12's before you can blow my doors off.

You should be able to tell that ive had my experience with these type of situations on the street. I just want to make it clear stock for stock or mod for mod, in a real race dead stop both good drivers (dont matter M6 or A4 in both cars), an LS1 will dust any mustang gt any year no matter what. End of subject.
LoLoL, Yeah right. Maybe the guys you've raced or seen run. In 100mph races and up, I can see the LSx pulling hard, but in the quarter, about 3 tenths tops with equal drivers with the LS1 pulling really hard through the traps and I've been at the tracks watching plenty of races to know.

Last edited by Loveracing; 08-04-2008 at 07:19 PM.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by ads_99ta
yeah but you have the aftermarket support right now and i'm sure that there are more 05+ GTs on the road right now than LS1 f-bodies.

Yes, we do have a very strong aftermarket, and I know alot of guys in the 11's and 10's, but most of you guys race people that are paying they're cars off and don't want to open up the heads or enging or anything while LS1 owners are doing those things. S197's are the best GT's so far, and when you're a really hardcore modder, they can be made fast easier than any other GT. If any of you run into a seriously modded 3 valve, then you're not dusting them with light mods, unless you're seriously modded too. 12's are easy to get to in these things, I don't care how many people are running 14's. That's pathetic in a 3 valve. A good driver should be getting 13.2's to about 13.6 in these. I'm sure there is a mess of people running 14's, but that's a disgrace. From what I've seen and heard, the LS1's run an occasional 12 with most being 13.0's- about 13.5 or so. That's not a large margin. A C5 vette seem to be about 5 to 8 tenths quicker. That's more realistic.

Last edited by Loveracing; 08-04-2008 at 07:34 PM.
Old 08-04-2008, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by DoggyB22
yea and if you want me to list my kills against mustangs its way over +5 and im pretty much stock? so ya... and these are from old 5.0 to 4.6 to new mustangs.

yea me neither... i raced an manual 05+ gt with exhaust and no cats n some other mods from a 30 mph roll and killed him. and im pretty much stock? so idn.. the only race an 05+ gt almost had me is an auto with pretty much same mods as the other. we went off the line and i had NO! tires at all. did some burnouts the night before. and he got me off the line as i was spinning through 2 gear and finally caught up to him and passed him? so idn.... there isnt to much power there. but i "heard" that when they got some bolt ons and minor mods there pretty powerful. but i have yet to see that?
\

We would be a really good race in the 1/4 according to your mods and sig. You should be about 12.7- 13?
Old 08-04-2008, 10:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SlayerMaro
Badguy, do you have 2.73's? I suspect you do. If so, they definitely aren't helping you out.

But as everyone already said, a stall will help the most. I'd race people and ALWAYS have to play catch up while I was in a dead spot. Now that I'm stalled I'm the one who gets the jump every time.
Yeaa, ive got the 2.73's. Bout to order some longtubes this coming weekend and after that. Ill upgrade the gear's then get a stall. it'll take some months but those are the plans as far as performance goes right now.