Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

WS6 vs Silver 03-04 cobra

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 04:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ponygt65
UH....the bottle is FI.

If you want 500RWHP, you'll need a STG3 port, CAI, idler tensioners with a 2.81" pulley. There's more to it than what you posted.
since when is a bottle forced induction?

and 500 rw doesnt need a stg 3 port
Old 08-05-2008, 05:44 PM
***Repost Police***

It's not forced induction, but it's not naturally aspirated... it most certainly is a "power adder."
Old 08-05-2008, 08:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
It's not forced induction, but it's not naturally aspirated... it most certainly is a "power adder."
quoted for truth
Old 08-05-2008, 08:49 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

UH....the bottle is FI.
Negative Ghostrider.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2
Dude, thats alot of typing.

At times, Im lazy when it comes to modding cars so for me, slapping a foolproof blower onto a car that is readily designed for it is much easier than anything else.

If I had a Mach 1, Id just juice the hell out of it. 175 minimum ALL the time.
And watch the block go to hell. A stock mach block will not take 175 for long. 150 TOPS.
Originally Posted by Dynotune04
oh boy where do i start.
1. The 03 cobra irs is stronger than a factory ford 8.8. the reason they break(most of the time) is people start wheel hopping and dont let out. i have seen a 300 rwhp mach 1 granade a stock 8.8. ( I am going solid axle but when it goes in it will be built to the hills.)
2. For a procharger set up on a mach 1 your gonna spend around 6k to do it right and make 450 rwhp (fyi a mach 1 bottom end is no stronger than a gt bottom end aside from the crank and it will not hold much more power than that.) You can pull that off with less than 1k in a cobra.
3. Compression ratio or not cobra with the roots style blower will put a mach 1 to shame on the low end torque even with a procharger.
4. The TR 3650 is JUNK. JUNK. JUNK. It may have better ratios but its junk. ill take a T-56 over it any day of the week.
I am not taking anything away from mach 1's. they are a great car and run hard. but they are not in the same league as an 03 cobra. oh 1 thing the mach has over the cobra are factory subframe connectors .
OH DT......OH DT.......I love you man...but I can't let that one go.
1)As I stated the IRS CARRIER is a 31 spline, therefore stronger. I totally agree and stated that. A Mach 1 will grenade a factory stock 8.8 ONLY if someone uses a stickie DR. The sudden traction will snap the axles. Typically it is the axles only and they snap. THe carrier itself doesn't break (usually). That is just like people that drive a Cobra and break the rears due to wheel hop. Same exact thing (IMO): one is IRS and wheel hop, the other is 'Good' tires with 28 spline axles.
2) A ATi P1SC will only go $6000 if you just grab what's out there and don't shop around. I was out $4200 out the door. Unit, Pump, install, the whole enchilada. I know about the machs internals...I already touched that subject in my post. AGAIN, yes a cobra can get 450 rwhp with pulley, CAI, midpipe, catback and tune (which is more than $1k-typically), but that is more than 8psi (which was my point). I guess I didn't stress it correctly that the cobra needs more boost to reach the same level as a mach with 8psi (due to CR).
3) BULLSHIT (sorry to be so blunt, but I had to). i know you own a cobra, but you are forgetting, I have owned a cobra AND two machs. One was N/A and one was blown. My P1sc 3.9" blown mach would put a hurting on a cobra. My N/A mach (down low) would pull on a Cobra from a dig. It would take till the end of second for the cobra to catch it...300RWHP/320RWTQ. That is the advantage of gearing and rear that I was refering to. ON a dyno...at a particular RPM, maybe, but not on the track. (we dont' race dyno sheets remember)
4) 3650 is not total junk. Yes they have their issues, but I never had a single problem in either mach. The T56 can obviously handle some power, but I like the 3650. I think it gets a bad rap from the TSB in the synchros that everyone bitched about.

I'm not saying they are in the same league. I'm saying they are SEVERELY over looked and they don't take much to not only be in the same league, but be better. OBVIOUSLY the stock internals have their limits. Spend $1k rebuild it (keep the CR) and the CObra wont' touch it until it gets a TS. A Mach with a D1 at 12psi with upgraded internals, same CR, (and supporting mods) is a 550-580RWHP car. That is TS territory (without touching the Heads or intake).
Again, the Cobra has the better motor out of hte box, I dont' disagree, but the Mach is no slouch once you toss a couple of things at it and it takes 'less' than most people realize to contend with a Cobra, or even beat it.

BTW - not a shot against you, but have you owned a mach 1?
Originally Posted by 88blackgt
quoted for truth
You're right.....I don't put the bottle in it's own class and since it's not N/A, it's FI. Besides a gas is forced into the cylinders and ignites to a higher CR right?...so in essence it's 'forced'. OK OK........that was a major stretch. I'll leave it alone.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by unit213
Negative Ghostrider.
See above there big guy.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:50 PM
On The Tree

And watch the block go to hell. A stock mach block will not take 175 for long. 150 TOPS.

OH DT......OH DT.......I love you man...but I can't let that one go.
1)As I stated the IRS CARRIER is a 31 spline, therefore stronger. I totally agree and stated that. A Mach 1 will grenade a factory stock 8.8 ONLY if someone uses a stickie DR. The sudden traction will snap the axles. Typically it is the axles only and they snap. THe carrier itself doesn't break (usually). That is just like people that drive a Cobra and break the rears due to wheel hop. Same exact thing (IMO): one is IRS and wheel hop, the other is 'Good' tires with 28 spline axles.
2) A ATi P1SC will only go $6000 if you just grab what's out there and don't shop around. I was out $4200 out the door. Unit, Pump, install, the whole enchilada. I know about the machs internals...I already touched that subject in my post. AGAIN, yes a cobra can get 450 rwhp with pulley, CAI, midpipe, catback and tune (which is more than $1k-typically), but that is more than 8psi (which was my point). I guess I didn't stress it correctly that the cobra needs more boost to reach the same level as a mach with 8psi (due to CR).
3) BULLSHIT (sorry to be so blunt, but I had to). i know you own a cobra, but you are forgetting, I have owned a cobra AND two machs. One was N/A and one was blown. My P1sc 3.9" blown mach would put a hurting on a cobra. My N/A mach (down low) would pull on a Cobra from a dig. It would take till the end of second for the cobra to catch it...300RWHP/320RWTQ. That is the advantage of gearing and rear that I was refering to. ON a dyno...at a particular RPM, maybe, but not on the track. (we dont' race dyno sheets remember)
4) 3650 is not total junk. Yes they have their issues, but I never had a single problem in either mach. The T56 can obviously handle some power, but I like the 3650. I think it gets a bad rap from the TSB in the synchros that everyone bitched about.

I'm not saying they are in the same league. I'm saying they are SEVERELY over looked and they don't take much to not only be in the same league, but be better. OBVIOUSLY the stock internals have their limits. Spend $1k rebuild it (keep the CR) and the CObra wont' touch it until it gets a TS. A Mach with a D1 at 12psi with upgraded internals, same CR, (and supporting mods) is a 550-580RWHP car. That is TS territory (without touching the Heads or intake).
Again, the Cobra has the better motor out of hte box, I dont' disagree, but the Mach is no slouch once you toss a couple of things at it and it takes 'less' than most people realize to contend with a Cobra, or even beat it.

BTW - not a shot against you, but have you owned a mach 1?

You're right.....I don't put the bottle in it's own class and since it's not N/A, it's FI. Besides a gas is forced into the cylinders and ignites to a higher CR right?...so in essence it's 'forced'. OK OK........that was a major stretch. I'll leave it alone.
now your talkin about a built mach 1 agaisnt a stockish cobra. you say 450rw with a cobra with bolt ons pulley/tune. your gonna need those same bolt ons for the mach 1. a gt will put out the same power as a mach 1 with forged guts. and 4200 for a procharger with all the fuel upgrades, installed and tuned?? dont see that. maybe 4200 for the base procharger kit not with an install in tune. with that money you put in the mach you could do a twin screw on a cobra.
then there is the good ole irs. my 100 % stock irs is just fine with a bunch of passes on it with m/t's. my buddys mach 1 (which i have driven about 100 times) made 1 pass with mt's before the rear end gave up. stock vs stock irs is stronger, the whole rear end. The tr3650 sucks i blew one up in my gt my buddys been through 3 in his mach 1. I am not gonna disagree that the mach 1 is a great car. but its not compareable to a cobra. and as far as outa the whole if the mach 1 is pulling on the cobra the cobra driver needs the driver mod. if you can launch the cobra without wheel hop pulling a mach 1 with 150 less rwhp/ftlbs should be easy.
when it comes down to is the mach 1 is a gt with better heads, a bit more compression a bit better gear.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:25 AM
Launching!

this is true but the cobra will hold that power all day everyday. a big shot big cam ls1 is a ticking time bomb.
ok you are full of ****, thats why thres so many mustang spilling their guts all over the road on youtube, i had a couple of friends with lightnings and all had pretty much the same mods, full exhaust, blower pulley, diablo sport, just to name a few. 4 of the 5 slung rods through the side of the block. evryone thinks. i know of a couple 660rwhp 750rwtq stock block ls1 with spray runnin just fine.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by strokerblackhawk
ok you are full of ****, thats why thres so many mustang spilling their guts all over the road on youtube, i had a couple of friends with lightnings and all had pretty much the same mods, full exhaust, blower pulley, diablo sport, just to name a few. 4 of the 5 slung rods through the side of the block. evryone thinks. i know of a couple 660rwhp 750rwtq stock block ls1 with spray runnin just fine.
lol @ comparing a lightning 5.4 to a 03/04 cobra 4.6
Old 08-06-2008, 11:45 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 88blackgt
lol @ comparing a lightning 5.4 to a 03/04 cobra 4.6
lolol at the lsx block bitch, 2000rwhp say somthing bad about that and i don't know alot about newer rustangs, i stick with the old school mustangs. 70 mach 1 with all matching numbers. go to the ******* mustang site if your gonna talk **** about a gm car on a gm site dick.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:36 PM
9 Sec. Club!!!

Originally Posted by Sarge_13
Not exactly sure what happened...too pissed off to look at it right now. All I know is, I lost compression in #6 and #8 cylinders.
Damn dude that sucks... #7&8 usually always run the leanest and they will lift or break off a ring land pretty easy if it runs a little lean.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dan03mach
Damn dude that sucks... #7&8 usually always run the leanest and they will lift or break off a ring land pretty easy if it runs a little lean.
7&8 run hot because of no coolant flow. those pistons like to melt a lot. texas heat ftmfl
Old 08-06-2008, 12:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

now your talkin about a built mach 1 agaisnt a stockish cobra. you say 450rw with a cobra with bolt ons pulley/tune. your gonna need those same bolt ons for the mach 1. a gt will put out the same power as a mach 1 with forged guts. and 4200 for a procharger with all the fuel upgrades, installed and tuned?? dont see that. maybe 4200 for the base procharger kit not with an install in tune. with that money you put in the mach you could do a twin screw on a cobra.
then there is the good ole irs. my 100 % stock irs is just fine with a bunch of passes on it with m/t's. my buddys mach 1 (which i have driven about 100 times) made 1 pass with mt's before the rear end gave up. stock vs stock irs is stronger, the whole rear end. The tr3650 sucks i blew one up in my gt my buddys been through 3 in his mach 1. I am not gonna disagree that the mach 1 is a great car. but its not compareable to a cobra. and as far as outa the whole if the mach 1 is pulling on the cobra the cobra driver needs the driver mod. if you can launch the cobra without wheel hop pulling a mach 1 with 150 less rwhp/ftlbs should be easy.
when it comes down to is the mach 1 is a gt with better heads, a bit more compression a bit better gear.
You have never owned a mach, let alone a blown mach. Your 'buddy' isn't the best example for you to go off of. First off, he should have known using MT ETs would kill the axles. Secondly, If he did that, I wonder why he's been through three tranny's. What's his name on the reg?

Re-read my posts. I said an 8psi mach will put out more power than an 8psi cobra with minor bolt ons. THAT is what I said...because of the CR primarily. A cobra must increase it's PSI to match the power level of a P1SC mach at 8psi. That's what I said. Now, if we are talking potential a 1K in internals with a D1SC at 12psi is cobra TS territory. Not only that it's a better setup. It's an alum block vs. iron and is putting down the same power with less PSI. Why? CFM of the Centrif. Granted the TS will have better TQ numbers.

Do not compare a mach to a GT....two totally different animals. YOu have owned a GT and now a Cobra and suddenly are an expert on Machs?

Again, you forget that I have owned BOTH cobra and Mach. I'm not shootin' BS. I've owned the damned cars.

ANd yes......I'm a bit pissed. Mostly because you are calling me a liar and I dont' go for that. Don't sit there and call BS on my $4200 spent. I know damned well what I spent. Now please tell me where the hell you get 'fuel upgrades'? do you even know what upgrades are needed?
Old 08-06-2008, 12:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by strokerblackhawk
lolol at the lsx block bitch, 2000rwhp say somthing bad about that and i don't know alot about newer rustangs, i stick with the old school mustangs. 70 mach 1 with all matching numbers. go to the ******* mustang site if your gonna talk **** about a gm car on a gm site dick.
production modular blocks will go past 2k rwhp as well. production ford c heads will also flow to 2k+ rwhp.
and fwiw the lightning motor and the cobra motor are completely different. do yourself a favor. figure out what your talkin about before you come out and publicly make an *** outa yourself.
Old 08-06-2008, 12:52 PM
On The Tree

You have never owned a mach, let alone a blown mach. Your 'buddy' isn't the best example for you to go off of. First off, he should have known using MT ETs would kill the axles. Secondly, If he did that, I wonder why he's been through three tranny's. What's his name on the reg?

Re-read my posts. I said an 8psi mach will put out more power than an 8psi cobra with minor bolt ons. THAT is what I said...because of the CR primarily. A cobra must increase it's PSI to match the power level of a P1SC mach at 8psi. That's what I said. Now, if we are talking potential a 1K in internals with a D1SC at 12psi is cobra TS territory. Not only that it's a better setup. It's an alum block vs. iron and is putting down the same power with less PSI. Why? CFM of the Centrif. Granted the TS will have better TQ numbers.

Do not compare a mach to a GT....two totally different animals. YOu have owned a GT and now a Cobra and suddenly are an expert on Machs?

Again, you forget that I have owned BOTH cobra and Mach. I'm not shootin' BS. I've owned the damned cars.

ANd yes......I'm a bit pissed. Mostly because you are calling me a liar and I dont' go for that. Don't sit there and call BS on my $4200 spent. I know damned well what I spent. Now please tell me where the hell you get 'fuel upgrades'? do you even know what upgrades are needed?
dude you bough everything used!!!!. **** i can get a ported eaton for 200 bucks used if i want. i dont care if your pissed or not. a mach 1 is closer to a gt than a cobra. same rear end, same trans same shitty internals.
if i were putting together a blower set up for a mach 1 i would run a p1sc-2 procharger, fore fuel hat, twin ford gt pumps, 42 lb injectors and id probably run a bigger set of fuel rails. that way when my motor blew up id get a new set of injectors and id be ready to rock with a built motor.

Last edited by Dynotune04; 08-06-2008 at 12:58 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dan03mach
My bad...it was 7 and 8. and yeah dynotune the heat blows.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

dude you bough everything used!!!!. **** i can get a ported eaton for 200 bucks used if i want. i dont care if your pissed or not. a mach 1 is closer to a gt than a cobra. same rear end, same trans same shitty internals.
I didn't buy everything used.....P1sc setup yes, but that was all. you are still WAY OFF on your pricing. You have NEVER OWNED one of these cars. And you dont' have a 'buddy' that has a blown mach.

A mach isn't closer to a GT NOR IS IT close to a Cobra. You are SO not getting what I'm saying.

Same rear?....dude, first a mach needs fuel upgrades for a P1 at 8 psi and now you're saying the GT has the same rear? How is that when a gt has 3.27 gears.

You went from GT to Cobra and are riding the "high horse" of a cobra owner and think you know all about stangs and it is apparent.

I know you want to ride the Cobra Pony and seem high knowledged, but here's a few things you may want to know.

Differences between GT and Mach:
Mach GT
Alum Block Cast Iron Block
4V heads 2V heads
(same exact as cobra)
3.55 rear gears 3.27 rear gears
13" brembo's ?? honestly I dont' know
[B](same as cobra)
Forged Crank Cast Iron Crank (both trannys)
(same as cobra)
6800 RPM redline 5800 RPM redline
(AGAIN, same as Cobra)
I'm not saying the mach in stock form (or even lightly modded) is in the same league. I am saying that with a P1sc 8psi it is quicker than a CAI/Tune with the stock pulley.

Now get off the high horse and at least attempt to understand what I am saying.

I just don't understand how you can sit here and argue with someone that has owned BOTH cars that are being discussed and you've owned one of them. R U really that clueless?

Last edited by ponygt65; 08-06-2008 at 01:15 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:04 PM
TECH Addict

ANd yes......I'm a bit pissed. Mostly because you are calling me a liar and I dont' go for that.
Liar.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Sarge_13
Liar.
- smartass.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:31 PM
On The Tree

I didn't buy everything used.....P1sc setup yes, but that was all. you are still WAY OFF on your pricing. You have NEVER OWNED one of these cars. And you dont' have a 'buddy' that has a blown mach.

A mach isn't closer to a GT NOR IS IT close to a Cobra. You are SO not getting what I'm saying.

Same rear?....dude, first a mach needs fuel upgrades for a P1 at 8 psi and now you're saying the GT has the same rear? How is that when a gt has 3.27 gears.

You went from GT to Cobra and are riding the "high horse" of a cobra owner and think you know all about stangs and it is apparent.

I know you want to ride the Cobra Pony and seem high knowledged, but here's a few things you may want to know.

Differences between GT and Mach:
Mach GT
Alum Block Cast Iron Block
4V heads 2V heads
(same exact as cobra)
3.55 rear gears 3.27 rear gears
13" brembo's ?? honestly I dont' know
[B](same as cobra)
Forged Crank Cast Iron Crank (both trannys)
(same as cobra)
6800 RPM redline 5800 RPM redline
(AGAIN, same as Cobra)
I'm not saying the mach in stock form (or even lightly modded) is in the same league. I am saying that with a P1sc 8psi it is quicker than a CAI/Tune with the stock pulley.

Now get off the high horse and at least attempt to understand what I am saying.

I just don't understand how you can sit here and argue with someone that has owned BOTH cars that are being discussed and you've owned one of them. R U really that clueless?
you just told me NOTHING i didnt already know. the difference between a mach 1 rear end and a gt rear end is the gears and the gears alone. i am not on a high horse. you just dont get it do you? oh and mach 1 redline is higher than a cobras.