Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

3000GT VR4 vs. LS6 Formula

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 12:48 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3000GT VR4 vs. LS6 Formula

I was on the highway a week or so ago and i had been tailed by a guy in a 3000GT. I figured it was some punkass ricer, so when he went to blow by me i put it in fourth and expected to hold him off. To my surprise he flew by me and i was left struggling to keep up. I caught up to him further down and when we got some space he beeped three times and we were off. I had it in 3rd form a ~65mph roll and i really thought that this time i would wreck him, but to my suprise i was just barely pulling on him. By the time we both let off I almost had a car length on him. After that he tried to get me to go one more time but he went on the second beep so i didnt even really bother.

Now, I bought my car from a member on here, i think his name was blackhawk or something, but regardless ive got a built LS6 with AFR205s, custom grind cam, forged bottom end, fast intake, etc. Dyno sheet reads 430rwhp. Its also got an M6 and 3.42s running on 270s. It should weigh somewhere around 3350-3400 pounds based off of what I have removed.
Only thing I had working against me was that I had two passengers and he had none.

So, I figured this guy clearly had a pretty well worked over VR4 to be keeping up with a car that should be capable of 11s. I went to my mechanic today to get a patch panel for a small rust hole in my floorpan and the first thing he said to me was "buddy of mine told me he blew your doors off on 128" which wasnt true, he got me on 2 out of 3 "races" but both of those times he just kinda jumped me, the one race that was actually coordinated I had him, but not by much. I told him that, and then asked what the hell that guy had done to make a 4000lb rice rocket keep up with me and my mechanic said the only mod on that car was a boost controller.

soo... aside from just posting a kill, anyone got any insight as to wtf was up? Its a matter of simple physics I would think:
3900lb 3KGT with 270awhp
+
3400lb Formula with 430rwhp
=rice for dinner

regardless... im calling the guy back for a rematch if hes gonna go around telling people he "blew my doors off". And depending on how that goes Ill know when im getting 4.10s...
Old 08-13-2008, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

you must post vids! you have beef now, some goon is going around telling people he pwnd yo ***, this must be settled, and video'd. it must be...
Old 08-13-2008, 01:14 PM
Staging Lane

Something doesn't add up here. He could have easily upgraded turbos along with that boost controller. I don't think the mechanic knows everything that has been done to it. Just what he was told. Definately post vids tho!
Old 08-13-2008, 01:17 PM
Staging Lane

haha, i just found out this morning, dont know if ill be able to post a vid cuz i wont be riding with anyone else in the car this time. Hopefully ill either run into him or he'll agree to another roll.

damn i want 4.10s...
Old 08-13-2008, 01:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Run him with no passengers next time, and see if someone can tape it from the side of the road or something. But about his car....it is not boost controller only. Unless your car is running like ****, and making like 320 hp, no way will boost controller only make that car that fast.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:32 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

He has wayyyyy more done.

Although those cars are pretty fast. I looked into getting one awhile ago. Intake, full exhaust, fuel pump and boost controller and your going mid 12s.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:43 PM
Staging Lane

I'm gonna agree with the other posts in this thread...

The VR4 had a lot more done than just a boost controller...

I've run one that had some intake and exhaust work with a boost controller and I put several car lengths on him with ease...

The one I raced was one of the earlier VR4 3000GT's...Not sure if the later models had more power or not.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:21 PM
Staging Lane

yeah i think the "boost controller only" claim is BS. Im pretty sure I heard a blow off valve, definetly not stock exhaust, and the intake/turbo noise coming off of the thing was insane.

ill find out...

Then Ill get 4.10s and dust his sorry *** no matter what.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

I mean video
Old 08-13-2008, 04:20 PM
Staging Lane

is it really? I didnt see any other kill stories with a video. Besides, im not trying to boast to anyone or prove something, if anything im dissapointed that he was able to keep up with me as well as he was.

However, i dug a bit deeper and a few people i talked to have said that he definetly has other work done to the engine. He says it runs a 12.1 in the 1/4 and i believe that. I kindve knew that anyways, but its nice to hear a more sane claim than a boost controlled VR-4 giving me a run for my money.

I guess his ecu is fried, i tried to get him to go today but thats the excuse he gave me. Karma for claiming to have beat me?

Best of all, he agreed to a rematch. This time I have a witness as well. Ill do my best to set up a video camera but i can only do so much without another pair of hands. I know I'll beat him though.
Old 08-13-2008, 05:22 PM
On The Tree

nice gotta prove "there is no replacement for displacement"
Old 08-13-2008, 05:41 PM
Launching!

Those cars are wicked but pigs..Stealth's Twins and VR4's are nice cars but a lot of import racers stay away from them for racing because of the weight, they rather have a Supra that run the same times stock but take wayyy better to mods and aren't nearly as heavy...someone correct me if I am wrong. Either way nice race and hope you race him again and get him this time.
Old 08-13-2008, 08:58 PM
Staging Lane

I always check for the VR4/turbo badges on those puppies. If they're still on the street after that many years then they're probably modified (a lot like you f-body guys).

Had an majorly modded Acura NSX pretty much make mincemeat of me the other night. I took it pretty hard...
Old 08-13-2008, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

The compressor cover on those turbos are the same size as the center sections of the turbo. They couldn't move a single lb more air at 6k with out just pushing hot air. Hope you get him good next time!!

John
Old 08-13-2008, 09:26 PM
Launching!

arent thoes vr4's all wheel drive ? maybe it had nitrous and his bottle is empty and thats why he used the exuse that his ecu was fried so he can buy time to fill up the bottle. and do what i do to record a race when im alone and im about to race i velcroed the crap out of my digital camera and then put velcro on the inside of my visor so when some one revs at me i just turn the camera on and slap it on my visor (driver side or passenger side) and im ready to go and show off my kill
Old 08-13-2008, 09:32 PM
Staging Lane

goddamn, a "camera visor". that's just what I need .
Old 08-13-2008, 09:33 PM
TECH Addict

Just toss on a 100 dry shot and call it a day.

They can be VERY mean cars if you know what you are doing though. Not enough aftermarket support, half the mods gotta be custom pieces because no one makes them.
Old 08-13-2008, 09:51 PM
Launching!

yeah a camera visor it works perfect i had it on my acura legend (now its also on my SS)
if you want to see how it looks mounted while raceing go to streetfire.net and punch in "acura legend" and its the video that says "acura legend-3 legend cousins"
Old 08-13-2008, 10:04 PM
TECH Addict

First and foremost, a heads/cam ls1 car sucks in the lower to midrange power. Add 3.42 gears to the equation and you have one slow responding misrepresentation of a h/c ls1. No offense, I speak from personal experience. My car went 12.6 @ 116 with cam, bolt ons, LS1 intake, 3.42's on Riken Raptors. I was waiting for days between shifts and couldn't hardly believe the mph. All up top, way, way, way up top. Add heads, LS6 intake, 4.10's and a catted Y. Not even the same car at all. I plan to make some track passes on those same Rikens this Friday.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:11 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Big Black SS
yeah a camera visor it works perfect i had it on my acura legend (now its also on my SS)
if you want to see how it looks mounted while raceing go to streetfire.net and punch in "acura legend" and its the video that says "acura legend-3 legend cousins"
Nice, found it. Good 80mph run. I need to go ride with some guys like this. Hey, I would say I'm an "engine" guy. From 80cc motorcycles/ATV's and up to cars I've loved everything motorized and everyones infatuation with them.

Quick Reply: 3000GT VR4 vs. LS6 Formula