Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

The most $$$$ you've bet on a race

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 11:27 AM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by JIBBBY

I was really talking about cruising around in this Viper in the cities, and lining up against street rods..... Not a stacked built rediculous non-street legal Stang on a drag track..... I was talking about Racing for pinks in organised street races, like I have seen on Friday nights in South Cental LA..... Also, I would immediately install some sticky MT radials on the rears of that Viper so I wouldn't over spin at launch. So in effect having MT radials instead of those low profile tires on that viper would make a world of difference also.. ...Don't think I would lose it on the streets...

Lastly, if I could afford to build a crazy Viper like that, I could probably afford to lose it...
you think everyone is going to line up to throw down pinks on a race with a viper? there's always someone faster and usually someone sneakier...those sure fire wins you are thinking of aren't realistic...
Old 10-02-2008, 12:25 PM
Village Idiot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, I know...

We really are just shooting the **** as this converstion is all very hypothetical and unrealistic... I don't own that turbo'd Viper but if given the chance I would lay down the pink against any other street legal hotrods in a race for title.....That's just me, as it would be very hard pressed for mostly any street legal vehicle to overtake that viper in a sprint... After all it holds the world record in the quarter on low profile street tires... What's going to beat that on the streets?
Old 10-02-2008, 01:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey, I know...

We really are just shooting the **** as this converstion is all very hypothetical and unrealistic... I don't own that turbo'd Viper but if given the chance I would lay down the pink against any other street legal hotrods in a race for title.....That's just me, as it would be very hard pressed for mostly any street legal vehicle to overtake that viper in a sprint... After all it holds the world record in the quarter on low profile street tires... What's going to beat that on the streets?
There are a lot of cars that would.
Old 10-02-2008, 01:34 PM
TECH Regular

So am I missing something....or what does this viper have in it???
Old 10-02-2008, 02:18 PM
11 Second Club

You have a very skewed view of how big time street racing is. First of all, it's not hard at all for a car to be "street legal" and run stupid fast times. And "drag radials" are not the end all tire like you make them out to be, most big street racers run VERY large slicks.

That viper isn't the fastest car in the world, either. Very quick, much faster than anything I've ever owned, but it's not uncommon to see 8 second cars in a big street race.

Just because that car can do 9s on the track with street tires, doesn't mean it can do faster on the street with a radial. BIG difference in traction.

For the people who race for BIG money, like several thousand+, they are not running 12 second cars. Like I said, 8 second cars are not that uncommon.
Old 10-02-2008, 02:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

there is a fox body mustang from the maryland area which looks bone stock minus some 17" wheels...and IIRC he just hit 8s in the 1/4 and he drives it to the track
Old 10-02-2008, 05:33 PM
Village Idiot

Originally Posted by FlashLCD33
You have a very skewed view of how big time street racing is. First of all, it's not hard at all for a car to be "street legal" and run stupid fast times. And "drag radials" are not the end all tire like you make them out to be, most big street racers run VERY large slicks.

That viper isn't the fastest car in the world, either. Very quick, much faster than anything I've ever owned, but it's not uncommon to see 8 second cars in a big street race.

Just because that car can do 9s on the track with street tires, doesn't mean it can do faster on the street with a radial. BIG difference in traction.

For the people who race for BIG money, like several thousand+, they are not running 12 second cars. Like I said, 8 second cars are not that uncommon.
Really??????? Well then I guess I would lose that Viper TT in a hurry... I like modified Z06 Vette's better anyway...

In my mind, and on the streets of Los Angeles, California where I live, the only car I can possibly see giving that TT Viper with sticky rear tires a run for it's money would have to be a rich movie star, or athlete like Kobe Bryant, and or Business CEO cruising around in a new and rare Bugatti... I have never seen an 8 second street legal car in my life time... Maybe, in other places in the USA... The California police and DMV's alone would rape a streetable car that does 8 seconds in quarter...

I see what your saying though and maybe your right. Just maybe, I've seen a car run in low 10's in the street races years ago, and either it was a stacked TT C6 Vette, or this root blown 67 Chevelle SS that was housing a 454ci race motor with huge rears at the friday night street races.....It was just sick and torquey as hell......Maybe low 10's on both cars, maybe....Oh and I almost forgot... I did see the fastest car I have ever seen and it was pro built 900hp modified Merc and it was absolutey the car from hell, it blasted like a rocket no lie and that car right there would have challenged this Viper TT for sure..I stand corrected.. Damn, I almost forgot about that frigg'n stacked Merc......

Anyway, Here are a few pic's of the rare street legal exotic's, and domestics like the BUGATTI's, Calloway Vettes, Special Edition Lotis, and the formula looking Maserati project cars, etc..I did see these at the last LA auto show and just maybe one of them might hang, but I still don't think any of them would straight out pass up that Viper in the quarter.. There was a Lotus I saw that did 0-60mph in 2.3 seconds or something, the Bugatti not sure what that does, and this crazy Merc was really fast sporting a TT turbo'd V12 with like 750 hp or something..There were quite a few riduculous half million dollar rides on display that should be street legal for ya.. I just happen to bring the camera with me...

Hard to say what could beat what... If my memory serves me right the Bugatti was probably the fastest car out of the bunch.... Maybe that project Maserrati not sure..
Attached Thumbnails The most $$$$ you've bet on a race-hpim0587.jpg   The most $$$$ you've bet on a race-hpim0623.jpg   The most $$$$ you've bet on a race-hpim0641.jpg   The most $$$$ you've bet on a race-hpim0644.jpg   The most $$$$ you've bet on a race-hpim0674.jpg  

The most $$$$ you've bet on a race-hpim0593.jpg   The most $$$$ you've bet on a race-hpim0645.jpg  

Last edited by JIBBBY; 10-02-2008 at 06:28 PM.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:02 PM
11 Second Club

Nothing in racing is Surefire...

I have seen well built cars break at the line, and a POS run down a 60k build...

You might be ready to make that bet now, bench racing, but once your in the seat, have spent the cash, and are pulling up to the line, I am betting that your happy go lucky attitude torwards a title race will change.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:32 PM
Village Idiot

Nothing ventured nothing gained, no?

When racing for pinks you defenitely have to have a big set of stones to lay your ride on the line.. Still me thinks when you're sitting on a real monster and you know your car is just straight out bad *** then some may say what the hell let's do it.. It really depends on the individual, his belief in his ride, his net worth, his knowledge of his opponents ride, and the ability to say I don't give a ****.. Some possess that talent or stupidy depending on how you look at it....

If you really love your ride, unemployed with no or little cash, the smart and wise thing to do, or safe call would be to probably go home and call it a night and wonder what if.. I personally like to take chances within reason but that is just me...

Would you try it in this car?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22826327/

Last edited by JIBBBY; 10-02-2008 at 09:40 PM.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:18 PM
Banned

$200, but 4 friends each chipped in 200 more, raced for $1 grand. My Buick GN vs a built and sprayed LT1.

I lost that race. It was 2 mid-10 second cars back in 98, when 10's on the street were fast. Now I've seen 7 second cars run on the street (or try to at least).
Old 10-02-2008, 10:21 PM
Banned

Would you try it in this car?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22826327/
There are more cars than I can count in my area that would go home with that car if that guy ever tried a 1/4 mile race on the street.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:39 PM
Banned

Well if your Mustang isn't street legal and track only I wouldn't of raced you... I highly dought your Mustang would take this Viper, unless you are running drag radials on your Stang and have big power.... If you can beat that Viper then you have one super crazy bad *** Stang... I would like to see that...

I was really talking about cruising around in this Viper in the cities, and lining up against street rods..... Not a stacked built rediculous non-street legal Stang on a drag track..... I was talking about Racing for pinks in organised street races, like I have seen on Friday nights in South Cental LA..... Also, I would immediately install some sticky MT radials on the rears of that Viper so I wouldn't over spin at launch. So in effect having MT radials instead of those low profile tires on that viper would make a world of difference also.. ...Don't think I would lose it on the streets...

Lastly, if I could afford to build a crazy Viper like that, I could probably afford to lose it...
You'd lose it the second you came across a sleeper like this..

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/B...-on_183131.htm

Street driven, full interior, 4 cylinder, on "low profile" drag radials.

very low 9's on good gas and high boost.

This is just an example, there are SO many cars out there.. long time street racers.. running VERY fast times, and they know how to make it hook on the street.

Or how about running across one of these guys?

You wouldn't be scared of a 1980's Pontiac Grand Prix are you?

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/STREET_45073.htm
Old 10-03-2008, 11:23 AM
Village Idiot

That EVO doesn't count... It rips but looks and sounds like crap... Hey nothing is for sure in this world... I still think the Viper tt with sticky tires would be a very close race regardless..

That wheelie was sick on the streets...Lot's of torque in that beast..Nice vids..

Yeah, there are some crazy sleepers out there no dought, infact I think I got a picture of a few...

This is a Super light weight VW bug with a Chevy power plant...You know this bug would fly.. I think the guy put the car together for something like $1500 back in the day... I would hate to try and stop that bug on a run with those old rusty drum brakes...Yipes!!!

This Small block Chevy powered old school Mini wagon would motor no dought too...

I still like my chances in the Vipe TT also running in the 9's....
Attached Thumbnails The most $$$$ you've bet on a race-true-20sleeper-.jpg   The most $$$$ you've bet on a race-watercooled-20vw.jpg   The most $$$$ you've bet on a race-vw-20engine.jpg   The most $$$$ you've bet on a race-mid-20engined.jpg   The most $$$$ you've bet on a race-lining-20up.jpg  

The most $$$$ you've bet on a race-van7.jpg   The most $$$$ you've bet on a race-van4-20.jpg  

Last edited by JIBBBY; 10-03-2008 at 11:33 AM.
Old 10-03-2008, 11:30 AM
Village Idiot

Originally Posted by KMS.1320
There are more cars than I can count in my area that would go home with that car if that guy ever tried a 1/4 mile race on the street.
Yeah, it's not a quarter mile monster but it still did 0-60mph in the 2 second range according to the write up.. It's still fast as crap...
Old 11-09-2008, 12:31 AM
Banned

Been a while, but regardless I'd like to point out that the Viper is making more than the 900 hp merc you were talking about. I'd say with reasonable certainty that the Viper is making in the neighborhood of 1000 rwhp, possibly more, with the traps it's going. I'd put a couple grand down on my stang against the Viper. Like I said, though, there are lots of boys that are bigger than me. The viper is quick, though. Probably a mid-low 9 second car on slicks. He could go high 8s with an auto and those traps. It still wouldn't be enough.

My stang is street legal. It would not pass an emissions test, but fortunately for me Florida doesn't require them. I'm also in the military, and would be able to drive my car in Cali if I were stationed there. My state of residence and Home of record remains FL even if I'm stationed in Cali.

Anyway, bro just live an learn. Get out and see some of those fast cars. You're not going to find a faster car driving around town, but at the big street races where you'll find people ready to put their cars on the line in a heads-up race, you wouldn't be wise to bet on that Viper. Did you even notice that it was a manual?

Chris
Old 11-09-2008, 01:52 AM
Teching In

Sounds like the 3 basic street racing rules by JIBBY.
Rule #1) Viper can beat anything
Rule #2) Evo's dont count
Rule #3) JIBBY will put pinks down as long as he can beat them

/negative Ghost-Rider, trolling is full.
Old 11-09-2008, 09:23 AM
Village Idiot

Hybrid117 - Isn't that the case always for rule #3?... If you don't think you can beat them then you shouldn't race for pinks..

Never heard of Evo's not counting... It has 4 wheels and fly's and should count, but so does a garbage truck...hmmm?

Viper can beat everything if it has a twin turb system and sporting over 1000whp and is still street legal... Well just about everything..

You forgot rule #4 - If you lose the race for pinks then you do a quick u-turn and evade at all costs!!!!...Keep the car and the pink regardless......Sneaky and dishonest but very effective...

Rule #5 comes right after Rule #4, you watch your back and garage your car under lock and bolt for the next few months....

PS. Just kidding around, if I bet and lost a race I would pay the fiddler!!!

Last edited by JIBBBY; 11-09-2008 at 09:35 AM.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:33 AM
Banned

Just about everything isn't enough, because just about everything wouldn't bother trying. It's the exceptions to the "just about everything" that would eat that Viper's lunch. I wouldn't go throwing the stang's pink slip around, and if I owned that viper, I damned sure wouldn't throw it around, either.

If I was going to race that Viper, I'd open up those turbos and let 'er eat, but I'd be looking for a race from a roll. Power is only a small part of the equation in a race from a drag. From a roll that Viper would still be beatable, but if you set the terms of the race and are selective enough, then it would stand a better chance.

Chris
Old 11-10-2008, 05:04 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I raced another 'busa for titles. I won, my bike is quite the sleeper. Anyway, he "paid" his debt and his old 'busa is now my race bike - and no, it wasn't a race bike when I got ahold of it. Anyway, I guess you could say that race was for about $7,000.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Well, whoever brought that viper in this thread has to realize theres a lot of quicker car outhere and that looks a lot slower. A local freak runs a hot hot rod with a 572ci BBC supercharged. The guy went to the track and ran a 155mph 1/4, all that at 4psi. He tried the dyno at 8-9psi(dont remember well) but he was over 1200rwhp(can go to 16psi if he wants lol)...and its a small town here with a lot of slow car, like mine.

There must be plenty of cars in big city that can take that viper. Dont get me wrong, its crazy motherf%?*? quick car!!

Anyway, I never raced for money, but I would for 100-400$ agaisnt the stupid local import club who thinks they are the **** with only 450-500hp LOL. They would get owned by a mild LS1 setup lol.