Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

GTR R35 vs C6 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 11:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GTR R35 vs C6 Z06

Well, i know this is going to stir the subtrate, but, lets try to keep it fair.

I was on my way up to West Palm with a buddy of mine (weighs 180lbs) to go pick up an intake for his C6 Z06.

The roads were slight wet from the recent rain and i was cruising in the far left lane on the turnpike northbound, passing dolphin mall. I looked in my rear view mirror and thought I saw an Evo X. Upon it moving up to my passenger door.... GTR R35!!!!

He looked over, i was in 5th @ 60mph, and with in a second, he hits it! I had a split second to try to get into second, rev-match, and get on the throttle. He was up about 2-3 cars ahead with me finding no traction with TC on in semo-set conditions. However, after slamming 3rd, his pull was already stopped and i was gaining on him. Top 3rd (127mph) i had pulled back the cars he had initially, and into fourth, I yanked a car or so until we had to shut them down.

We did this a few times as he didn't want to go from a honk.. always pulling the hit. ALWAYS!

Anyways, i followed him and pulled into CVS and chatted. That car is nice, but my theory has been correct... stock vs stock, even with a passenger, the GTR R35 IS NOT FASTER than a C6 Z06.

Anyways, let it rip!

EDIT: I might add that yes, my car has an intake and tune, but I only gained 20hp with both and my car is neck-n-neck with my friends STOCK c6 z06. Go figure!! The 08's seem to put down less power, could be due to the new tr6060 trans..
Old 10-01-2008, 12:13 PM
On The Tree

Nice runs!
Old 10-01-2008, 12:14 PM
Village Idiot

Those GTR's are badass.. 4wd too... Kinda light in weight and very fast... I know all about these Nissan GTR turbo's... Definetely Nissan's claim to fame..

I would think though if any car can pull on a GTR it would be the almight Z06...Good deal man, way to represent!!!!

I've seen those GTR's at the track and they seldomly lose...

Last edited by JIBBBY; 10-01-2008 at 12:38 PM.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JIBBBY
Those GTR's are badass.. 4wd too... Light in weight and very fast... I know all about these Nissan GTR turbo's... Definetely Nissan's claim to fame..
I'm pretty sure they weigh in around 3800-3900 lbs. Not exactly 'light in weight'.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:23 PM

Good runs, but is it a good idea to try and race a car with that much power on wet roads? Not trying to judge, but after seeing a guy wreck his Ford GT on a dry track...yikes.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by JIBBBY
Those GTR's are badass.. 4wd too... Light in weight and very fast... I know all about these Nissan GTR turbo's
Not to be a dick, but it looks like you know as much about these as you do about Carol Shelby. They are heavy *** cars.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:31 PM

Received 161 Likes on 99 Posts

Nice kill

Jibby, take a look into the curb weight on the GTR and you will be surprised, they are very, very heavy.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
Good runs, but is it a good idea to try and race a car with that much power on wet roads? Not trying to judge, but after seeing a guy wreck his Ford GT on a dry track...yikes.
No, you are right. I never went WOT until fourth gear. The car, though it spins hard, goes straight as an arrow. So, yes, it was a bit dangerous but its something I have experience before.

I just thought it interesting that even with the AWD that everyone says is better in the rain, moreoever, unbeatable... I was still able to catch up and pull ahead.

I talked to him to see if he wanted to do a even race, from a 20-30mph roll so he can feel happy... but he didn't want to.

Now, there is this white one locally that has about some mods that I want to race. It would be a good race to showcase what a stock-like z06 can do against a mod'd stage 2 GTR.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:37 PM
TECH Resident

what tires are you running?
Old 10-01-2008, 12:41 PM

Sounds good! Let us know how you do against it if he accepts your challenge
Old 10-01-2008, 12:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JayplaySS2
Nice kill

Jibby, take a look into the curb weight on the GTR and you will be surprised, they are very, very heavy.
Exactly... they are closer to 4000lbs. than 3500lbs.

However, the car is geared very low and mated with the ATTESSA system, advanced traction and stability control, that DSG, the car does its best to extract 100% of its potential 100% of the time.

Technology wise, the GTR is fantastic... the interior is also very entertaining. But, in contrast, I guess that is what i like about the z06 so much. No advanced TC, AHC controls, no DSG, no AWD, NO LCS, nothing. Just a nasty, efficient LS7, 6 speed, RWD, CRAP runflats, cheap shocks. etc. And its still this fast. American at its best!
Old 10-01-2008, 12:42 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ScreaminRedZ
Sounds good! Let us know how you do against it if he accepts your challenge
No problem.. i may get it on video.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:43 PM
Village Idiot

Ok, the curb weight is not light as I thought them to be.. They are smaller cars so I figured they were relatively light in weight... You guys are right and I am wrong my bad, thank for the information.....

I have seen these GTR's perform in person and they are no joke...Heavy or not they grip and bolt with the best of them.....
Old 10-01-2008, 12:50 PM

^That I'd definitely believe. If Nissan made a lightweight stripped down option then it'd be scary. As it is, cars are just getting too heavy in general.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:54 PM
TECH Addict

Well, they have all the tools to get it done... anyone here think that maybe nissan is taking a hit on selling these cars at so low a msrp? Alot of electronics in that car to be at $70k-$80k

Whatsgrip?: Sorry dude.... I recently swapped over to the bridestone RFT's. Much smoother than the GY's, wet traction is better, but dry is about the same. Though, i would get them again just because how much smoother they are over the runcraps!

ScreaminRedZ: Actually, the V-spec is suppose to have about 400lbs off, but at costly upgrade of $20k over the already $80k R35.

And parts are being taxed worst than the vette's. In japan, full titanium exhaust are going for no less than 10k. Brakes are about 8k to replace also. So, you can take this car to the track, however, since its weight is a killer on a track, it will get very expensive, compared to a z06, to maintain it in tip-top shape when racing.

IMO, the GTR R35 isn't a true, sportscar. Its more of a M6/E63 that can be fast on the track, but would be happier on the street. Still fast, nice low 12's car from a roll... mid to high 11's WITH Launch control at the track with 121mph.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:55 PM
On The Tree

Your z06 if im correct is lighter and has more horsepower (505hp) RWD to the GTR's 480hp AWD...I would think your car should be a little faster than it while rolling. than the GTR so he shouldn't be able to to pull away from you BUT!!!! if he turns up boost your a RAP!!!!!!!!! from the dig, rolling, upstair anywhere....

I would love to see this race on video hint hint next time you guys meet up.... From the dig, rolling , and 60mph or 3rd gear highway run.....
Old 10-01-2008, 12:59 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by obZidian

Whatsgrip?: Sorry dude.... I recently swapped over to the bridestone RFT's. Much smoother than the GY's, wet traction is better, but dry is about the same. Though, i would get them again just because how much smoother they are over the runcraps!
cool....
Old 10-01-2008, 01:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RUTH'LESSDET
Your z06 if im correct is lighter and has more horsepower (505hp) RWD to the GTR's 480hp AWD...I would think your car should be a little faster than it while rolling. than the GTR so he shouldn't be able to to pull away from you BUT!!!! if he turns up boost your a RAP!!!!!!!!! from the dig, rolling, upstair anywhere....

I would love to see this race on video hint hint next time you guys meet up.... From the dig, rolling , and 60mph or 3rd gear highway run.....
If you believe nissan, than 434awhp is 480hp at the crank.

With what we now know, this car is putting down atleast 500-520hp at the crank. Unless, again, you believe that it's putting down a 10% drivetrain loss.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:45 PM
Teching In

I'm pretty surprised with him taking the hit, you being in the wrong gear, and you having traction issues you still pulled a length on him, but anything can happen on the street. Good kill. Both cars involved are pretty awe-inspiring.
Old 10-01-2008, 08:54 PM
TECH Addict

Well, I don't want to say that i pulled on him hard. I definitely walked him, but not as fast as I'm used to. It's like I raced a m5 with a 100shot. I walked him, but was a decent race. I have that one video if ya'll want to see that one.

I hate to use mag articles for bench racing, but if you look at the mag articles with both cars being tested.. the z06 is almost 9 secs. faster to 150mph. 9 seconds at triple digits is not car lengths, but bus lengths. Even at the 1320 ft. mark, a second is a more than a car.

A good representation is the Oman race. He was around the same gearing/mph i was in when he raced so it's a good representation of how it happened. Just add a bit of water and TC-ON!

Quick Reply: GTR R35 vs C6 Z06