11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Some Questions Regarding T/A and PHB

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 07:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Some Questions Regarding T/A and PHB

I made a poll too, but who is better.. BMR or UMI?

But anyways here are my questions.

1) What is the advantage of having an adj T/A?
2) What is the advantage of having a non adj T/A?
3) What is the advantage of having an adj PHB?
4) What is the advantage of having a non adj PHB?

i think the non adj T/A is a good b/c it is alredy made so that the pinion angle is at -2*. Any more, wouldn't that be bad? That is why i am thinking of amybe getting a non-adj T/A

Also what is a better T/A, body mounted or trans mounted?

For the PHB, i dunno much about them. With the non adj it is what it is, but with the adj one you can center your rear right? How do you even go about getting it centerd?

BTW i am still at stcok ride height too.

Thanks i jsut purchased a BMR STB and DSSL.....
Old 10-19-2008, 11:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Bump for an answer
Old 10-19-2008, 03:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by TORCHD 02 TA
I made a poll too, but who is better.. BMR or UMI?

But anyways here are my questions.

1) What is the advantage of having an adj T/A?
2) What is the advantage of having a non adj T/A?
3) What is the advantage of having an adj PHB?
4) What is the advantage of having a non adj PHB?

i think the non adj T/A is a good b/c it is alredy made so that the pinion angle is at -2*. Any more, wouldn't that be bad? That is why i am thinking of amybe getting a non-adj T/A

Also what is a better T/A, body mounted or trans mounted?

For the PHB, i dunno much about them. With the non adj it is what it is, but with the adj one you can center your rear right? How do you even go about getting it centerd?

Thanks i jsut purchased a BMR STB and DSSL.....
I don't think there's a better brand, you can't go wrong either way.
1.T/A ADJ.: Sometimes the best pinion angle for your particular needs is more, or less than -2.
2.T/A N/ADJ.:It cost less.
3. PHB ADJ.: Stronger than stock, allows you to center the rear-end, and as a result the ability to run wider wheel/tires with less chance of rubbing.
4.PHB N/ADJ.:Stronger than stock, less expensive than adj.t/a.
5.T/A body mt.:best for drag racing.
6. T/A trans mt.: autocross, daily driver,corner carving.
7.PHB adj.:IMO, get the on car adjustable model that you adj. from one side.
8. Adjusting ADJ.PHB:Back car up on ramps(rhino ramps),block the frt. wheels . With your hand/fingers check to see which side has a larger tire to fender lip gap. For example:If the drivers side has a larger gap, then adjust the bar longer, or the passenger side then adjust it shorter. So then just the PHB and the check the tire to fender lip gap until it seems equal on both sides, and then tighten the PHB adjuster down, and you're done!
Old 10-19-2008, 05:14 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great questions, right about where i am at too.
Old 10-19-2008, 10:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

From what i gathered/read it all depends on you application

the T/A for me i am going to stick with a non adj not sure if i am going to do body mounted or trans mounted T/A. Non adj b/c -2* for pinion angle is perfect and whether to get body or trans mounted. Well I maybe do the track 1 or 2 times. So i would think that the trans mount T/A would suite me quite nice.

Now for PHB, i am running 17X10.5 in the rear with 315/35/17 tires WITH NOT FITMENT ISSUES at all. So again maybe a non adj PHB may work for me?

Is there any drawback going with NON ADJ T/A and PHB?
Old 10-19-2008, 11:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

i wouldnt go with a non-adj phb because it woulb be a little more of a pain to center the rear after changing wheel width or lowering, etc.

plus those arent that much cheaper than the adjustable version
Old 10-19-2008, 11:36 PM
Teching In

you say body mount for drag racing, and trans mount for daily driver. what does the body mount t/a do to hurt daily driving?
Old 10-20-2008, 08:57 AM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello,

Thanks for the interest in our products.

When you say still stock ride height... does that mean you plan on lowering it at some point?

Thank you!
Ryan
Old 10-20-2008, 09:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by UMI Performance
Hello,

Thanks for the interest in our products.

When you say still stock ride height... does that mean you plan on lowering it at some point?

Thank you!
Ryan
to be honest No. I like the stock height
Old 10-20-2008, 09:41 AM
FormerVendor

to be honest No. I like the stock height
That is no problem at all! What size rear tires are you running? Any plans for wider?
Old 10-20-2008, 10:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

That is no problem at all! What size rear tires are you running? Any plans for wider?
i am running TTMs 17X10.5 in the rear with a 315/35/17 tire. Not going to larger at all.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:03 AM
TECH Resident

FWIW, I'm going adj. for every piece I'm buying. I'd rather have the ability to adjust something if need be, or later down the road, than be SOL and have to buy another piece because I didn't get adj in the first place.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ynkssws6
FWIW, I'm going adj. for every piece I'm buying. I'd rather have the ability to adjust something if need be, or later down the road, than be SOL and have to buy another piece because I didn't get adj in the first place.
Yeah i was thinking that too.

But the reason i may not go with adj is b/c i do not see the track that often, i am not going to lower my car

So no adj T/A and PHB will work for me. But i would get adj LCAs
Old 10-20-2008, 10:15 AM
FormerVendor

i am running TTMs 17X10.5 in the rear with a 315/35/17 tire. Not going to larger at all.
Usually with the 315 tires we recommend a adjustable panhard bar due to tire rubbing in the inside fenderwell... however if you are not experiencing any rubbing with your current set-up the non-adjust. should work just fine.

Based on the information you have supplied I think the non-adjust. items would work very well for you.

If I can help anymore please ask.

Thank you!

Ryan
Old 10-20-2008, 10:18 AM
TECH Resident

i THINK I'm not positive, but aftermarket rears sometimes require some adjustment for a better overall fit. That's something to consider too. I would just call UMI or Sam Strano and pick their brains for a while. Very helpful.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:34 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by ynkssws6
i THINK I'm not positive, but aftermarket rears sometimes require some adjustment for a better overall fit. That's something to consider too. I would just call UMI or Sam Strano and pick their brains for a while. Very helpful.
Yes you are correct... if you are installing an aftermarket rear end I recommend adjustable items in certain areas. I didn't think that was something the buyer had planned.. that's the only reason I didn't mention it.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Usually with the 315 tires we recommend a adjustable panhard bar due to tire rubbing in the inside fenderwell... however if you are not experiencing any rubbing with your current set-up the non-adjust. should work just fine.

Based on the information you have supplied I think the non-adjust. items would work very well for you.

If I can help anymore please ask.

Thank you!

Ryan

I too was surprised that my 315's did not rub at all

But like i said i go to the track maybe 2x a year, my car is not my DD so drive it on the street sort of aggressively..

So that is why i think that a non adj T/A is perfect body mounted. It will give me -2* of pinion angle which is perfect. The only thing that worries me is that the body mounted T/A, upon a rather aggresive take off will it bump the under garriage? I know my friend has an adj T/A can not remember if it is body/trans mounted. But ANY take off and it THUDS under the car. Man i hate that..

And a non adj panhard bar is perfect i dont need to center my rear b/c my tires do not rub, plus i dont plan on lowering my car
Old 10-20-2008, 10:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yes you are correct... if you are installing an aftermarket rear end I recommend adjustable items in certain areas. I didn't think that was something the buyer had planned.. that's the only reason I didn't mention it.
Well soon i will want a 9". So then what?
Old 10-20-2008, 10:59 AM
FormerVendor

Well soon i will want a 9". So then what?
If you are installing a Moser 9" soon I recommend both an adjustable panhard bar and a adjust. torque arm. Usually the 9" aftermarket rear end never sits centered in the vehicle after the installation... the panhard bar will allow you to center the rear end by moving it side to side and the torque arm would allow you to re-adjust the pinion angle... also our non-adjust. torque arm unfortunately will not mount to the Moser 9" with out grinding... all our other arms are just fine.

My suggestion is to look at a Strange 12-Bolt... they fit much better then any other brand and alwayus sit nice and centered in the vehicle with out adjusting. Also the non-adjust. Panhard bar and torque arm would mount right up to it with no issues.

Does that help some?
Old 10-20-2008, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by z44ss
you say body mount for drag racing, and trans mount for daily driver. what does the body mount t/a do to hurt daily driving?
Most often when someone refers to a "body mount" torque arm they are talking about the short floor pan mounted style units. The short torque arms are better suited for drag racing and give up some handling performance.

The best of both worlds would be a relocated full length torque arm. The full length torque arm keeps the handling and with our relocation mount you are able to remove any kind of stress from the transmission tail shaft. Here is an example. If you have any questions please feel free to ask
Attached Thumbnails Some Questions Regarding T/A and PHB-lt1-t-56-relocation-mount.jpg