Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

LCA DIFFICULT BENT FRAME? *tech question

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 12:42 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LCA DIFFICULT BENT FRAME? *tech question

quick question for those of you who have installed the Lower Control Arms.. When installing i have to strap the rear to the front of the frame to get the lower control arms in position.. The LCA's I have are stock length... Possible frame bendage going on there? I have also noticed the T-Top gaps are wider on one side... please help.. and can this be fixed easily if bent.. if not new car!
Old 10-26-2008, 01:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Lightbulb

How far off are they? I always put the front bolt in first, then use a screw driver align the mount holes with the control arm bolt hole while sliding the bolt in.
Are you doing this with the car backed up on ramps (easy way) or with the car up on jack stands and wheels removed?
Old 10-26-2008, 02:28 PM
Banned

the rear will push it's self back due to the springs. i have installed alot of set. and seen it move as far as an inch off.
Old 10-26-2008, 04:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

take a picture. describe how you are trying to install these better. get adjustables.
Old 10-26-2008, 04:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Adjustable anything won't help with a tolerance over X amount. Say 6 mm. You need to get the frame corrected. Whatever you can do.

Where are you seeing the gap in the t tops? In the window sealing area? You can adjust the t tops around in many different places. This is probably not a good indication of a bent frame due to all the possible adjustments.
Old 10-27-2008, 05:22 AM
Staging Lane

I installed the LCA's on jack stands with the wheels removed... the spacing is about 2 inches off... as for the T-Tops the gap is where the cylinder locks into the roof (to the rear of the car)... sorry no pics avail.. in IRAQ atm
Old 10-27-2008, 09:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Firebirdgm2000
I installed the LCA's on jack stands with the wheels removed... the spacing is about 2 inches off... as for the T-Tops the gap is where the cylinder locks into the roof (to the rear of the car)... sorry no pics avail.. in IRAQ atm
On the T-top part of the weather strip you can make that longer and shorter.

To do that you have to remove the t tops trim and then undo a small hex head screw on the t top window channel. This will make it fill up the entire space if you are having an issue where the t top weather strip isn't filling up those little pockets on the main weather strip.

That area of the car is kind of hard to use as a gauge.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

how did you install lcas one day and go to iraq the next? is this a joke?

i believe the lcas have to be installed with the vehicle at ride height removing them one at a time. make sure both bolts are loose to properly align the lcas. unless you got into an accident or absolutely suck at driving, your 3.8 didn't bend ****.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:59 PM
TECH Regular

same thing happened to me when installing the lca's to the rear end...Just undo the sway bar and have someone push/pull on the rear end...MAKE SURE YOUR JACK STANDS ARE SECURE
Old 10-31-2008, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Big Bird WS6
the rear will push it's self back due to the springs. i have installed alot of set. and seen it move as far as an inch off.

I would agree with this answer......you might be surprised how much the rear moves when both control arms are not attached
Old 11-01-2008, 01:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider
i believe the lcas have to be installed with the vehicle at ride height removing them one at a time. make sure both bolts are loose to properly align the lcas. unless you got into an accident or absolutely suck at driving, your 3.8 didn't bend ****.
wheels on the ground, remove and install one at a time.
there is almost no easier mod.
Old 11-01-2008, 01:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider
wheels on the ground or ramps, remove and install one at a time.
there is almost no easier mod.