Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

LCA and PH bar

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2003, 12:46 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LCA and PH bar

What if any, has anyone heard about Hotchkiss LCA and PH bars?
Old 09-19-2003, 10:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: LCA and PH bar

I don't like poly/poly bushing combinations for LCA's and PHB's. With that said.... The Hotchkiss parts are durable and will hold up for a very long time. They have been in this game for a long time and they are pretty good at it. If you are ok with the handling compromises that a poly/poly bushing control arm has, then they are an excellent choice.
Old 09-24-2003, 05:28 PM
Teching In

What does poly/poly bushings do to handling? I thought that the poly bushings were more durable and rigid than rubber... The durability is an issue, but I don't want to sacrifice handling...in other words I want it to grab the road better than it does now...
Old 09-24-2003, 06:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/threads/showflat...rue#Post389835
Old 09-25-2003, 09:07 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the info as I do understand the binding part. But with all the other control arms that I've seen, they all do not really allow for the body twist even though they have a heim bushing on one side. I work on aircraft which I know is a different animal, but the LCAs that are being made are simply a control rod with cheaper parts on it. Thus, would a more effective rod be one similar to an aircraft control rod with a swivel bushing??? I already bought the Hotchkiss LCA...spent $$$ for it thinking it was a good design beings they are made with a CNC machine, heavy duty construction...etc... Does anyone make a Heim bushing that will fit the Hotchkiss LCA? Again thanks for your input as I have learned to start asking on this web site before purchasing anything else in the future.
Old 09-26-2003, 05:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you know the thread pitch and the shank diameter, you should be able to find heims to fit your bar.

The problem will be the spacers needed for the mounting bracket and bolt.
Old 09-29-2003, 08:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

From what I understand the polygraphite
bushings Hotchkis uses are low deflection.
I ordered the PHR should have it on next week.
Rod ends seem like overkill for me cause
I don't really drive it that hard.
Old 09-29-2003, 09:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

But with all the other control arms that I've seen, they all do not really allow for the body twist even though they have a heim bushing on one side. I work on aircraft which I know is a different animal, but the LCAs that are being made are simply a control rod with cheaper parts on it.
I agree that to "really do the job" you need heim joints on both ends. The poly/heim is as good of a compromise as any (as compromises go, it works rather well). I always prefer a heim/heim arrangement.

As for the "control rod with cheaper parts on it" theory. I will put any heim/heimi LCA on the marked up against the poly/poly style from any manufacturer and I bet you will find the heim/heim to be stronger (in tension and compression). That "cheap" poly bushing will very likley fail before any reasonable (even inexpensive) 3/4" heim joint ever does. And the rods that they are mounted to are much stronger than you think. You can buy a bushing kit from www.ground-control.com that is designed to put spherical bearings into the stock LCA's. You may be able to adapt that kit, but it is expensive and probably not worth the hassle.

As usual, just my thoughts....

The problem will be the spacers needed for the mounting bracket and bolt.
I've got that one reasonably worked out....and should have a better solution real soon.
Old 10-01-2003, 06:12 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all your info as I appreciate it... I learn more everytime I discuss issues with everyone here on this site...

As for the cheaper parts...what I meant was that the parts for cars are made less expensive then that made for aircraft... Control rods are designed for compressive and expansive forces...not designed for bending forces... LCAs have all three forces acting on them (expansive, compressive and bending) thus I just thought that they would not be as strong as a CNC manufactured LCA. The LCAs are designed just like the aircraft control rods, but with a variation in the heim join area. Aircraft use a steel swivel bushing that prevents any binding and allows for smooth quick transitions. If they could make a similar set up with the Heim joint, it would truly offer a nonbinding LCA.
What I'll end up doing in the future is buy another set of LCAs and either keep the Hotchkiss for drag racing, or sell them. Wish we would have talked before I purchased them...
Old 10-01-2003, 10:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

I"m not so sure about the bending loads on an LCA. It has a heim joint on each end, so it can't be bent by turning the part that it is attached to. It has no weight resting on the center so it wont kink or bend that way. Lateral loads will simply let the axle swing sideways (the Panhard Rod has to deal with these) since the ends are bearing mounted and not "fixed". I'm not sure that you will find anything but compression and tension loads on heim/heim LCA's....

Where's Critter when I need him???