Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

K-Member Install Cost

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 04:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$300.00 for my PA Racing K-member installed.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would guess to have some do all the work and parts 3000$. To get it right. I hope I am wrong. I it is not to offen. U took a good hit in a bad place.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:07 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by YellowToy/A
I would guess to have some do all the work and parts 3000$. To get it right. I hope I am wrong. I it is not to offen. U took a good hit in a bad place.
$3,000 just for the frame or with new control arms, spindle, and k-member?
Old 11-25-2008, 06:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

He means the whole setup not just the k member. I had the same thing happened to me and i bent my k member, lower control arm and spindle. I did all the work so it cost 50 bucks for and alignment. Its not that hard to do all the works. It suxs doing it on ur back in ur drive way. Good luck man
Old 11-25-2008, 07:28 PM
Launching!

yes it is a lot of work so have fun or just do it yourself.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:29 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002 Trans Am
Thanks, I'm gonna need it. I truely love my car and this has been very frustrating.

If I can get by with only spending a few hundred on the frame, I might just go all out and replace the control arms, spindle, and K-Member.

Do they make lighter/stronger spindles?
I forgot to wish you good luck also, when I was here yesterday. Actually, I don't think you'd want a stronger spindle. Look at it this way, a spindle that will hold up in normal driving, yet bends in extreme impact acts as a "fuse". It bends, absorbs energy, and prevents damage to the K-member and unit-body. It's also easier and cheaper to replace just a spindle.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:38 PM
TECH Addict

Frame shop called and said to come in Friday morning, they'll have more time to put it up on the lift and properly dianose it.

The wait continues
Old 11-27-2008, 05:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Frame shop called and said to come in Friday morning, they'll have more time to put it up on the lift and properly dianose it.

The wait continues

Black Friday!! Don't forget to bring lots of coupons!! ( )
Old 11-27-2008, 08:04 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cant speak for tubular k-member for a ls1 camaro but in my 3rd gen when i did it i left the motor in the car. they do make a tool that can support your motor from the top so it doesnt have to come out the car. I had to use this tool twice once for the k-member in my 3rd gen and once for doing the trans in my grand prix so it does work on a variety of different applications.... But the point is depending on how mechanically inclined you are you can do it yourself and the motor doesnt have to come out the car.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by a383z
I cant speak for tubular k-member for a ls1 camaro but in my 3rd gen when i did it i left the motor in the car. they do make a tool that can support your motor from the top so it doesnt have to come out the car. I had to use this tool twice once for the k-member in my 3rd gen and once for doing the trans in my grand prix so it does work on a variety of different applications.... But the point is depending on how mechanically inclined you are you can do it yourself and the motor doesnt have to come out the car.
I'm decent at turning a wrench and pretty confident I could do it myself. I just don't know if I want to knowing it is my daily driver and I have to get to work.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:13 AM
Staging Lane

I had the same thought cause at the time mine was a daily too... what i end up doing besides putting lock tite on every bolt i checked every bolt for tightness almost everyday for a week. But definatly know what you mean... Plan the project before you start and keep your computer up and running during and always get before pictures to compare.
Old 11-28-2008, 01:51 PM
TECH Veteran

I'm decent at turning a wrench and pretty confident I could do it myself. I just don't know if I want to knowing it is my daily driver and I have to get to work.

A couple of ways to look at it...You could pay someone to do the work, and a mistake could still be made. Then you'd be upset, and say, "Why didn't I do it myself, so it was done right"... Or if you did it yourself, even if you make a small mistake, it will be a learning experience, plus, there's nobody to blame but yourself. Live and learn.

I think the hardest part of the job would be supporting the car while you slid the K-member out. You could rent a cherry picker to support the engine while you dropped everything else out with a floor jack, with a 12-14" section of 2x10 wood on the jack's pad.
Old 11-28-2008, 02:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
A couple of ways to look at it...You could pay someone to do the work, and a mistake could still be made. Then you'd be upset, and say, "Why didn't I do it myself, so it was done right"... Or if you did it yourself, even if you make a small mistake, it will be a learning experience, plus, there's nobody to blame but yourself. Live and learn.

I think the hardest part of the job would be supporting the car while you slid the K-member out. You could rent a cherry picker to support the engine while you dropped everything else out with a floor jack, with a 12-14" section of 2x10 wood on the jack's pad.
So the car is at the frame shop, they are trying to get it up on the frame machine today or Monday morning. Its going to cost me $250 for them to check all the specs. If the specs come back good, they said it will narrow down my problem to either a bent suspension part, shitty alignment, or where the suspension mounts to. They said at the minimum I'll most likely have to change the K-Member.

The only thing that scares me about changing the K-Member on my own is the fear of the damn car falling on me. I've done headers on 2 cars, and its pretty freaking scary when you need to raise the car as high as you can get it just to slide the ******* header in. If I had a lift, no way in hell would I pay someone.
Old 11-28-2008, 02:34 PM
TECH Addict

Oh yeah they quoted me $830 for a stock crossmember

Obviously that is MSRP
Old 11-28-2008, 06:45 PM
TECH Veteran

So the car is at the frame shop, they are trying to get it up on the frame machine today or Monday morning. Its going to cost me $250 for them to check all the specs. If the specs come back good, they said it will narrow down my problem to either a bent suspension part, shitty alignment, or where the suspension mounts to. They said at the minimum I'll most likely have to change the K-Member.

The only thing that scares me about changing the K-Member on my own is the fear of the damn car falling on me. I've done headers on 2 cars, and its pretty freaking scary when you need to raise the car as high as you can get it just to slide the ******* header in. If I had a lift, no way in hell would I pay someone.

Very true. But I would look at it this way...If you have a good flat floor to work on, that a big plus. After that, if you get the rear of the car SOLIDLY spported on some serious jack stands, and get some sold supports under the front subframe rails you should be OK to move forward.

I would unbolt the motor mounts, and support the weight of the engine with either a cherry picker, or as poster "a383z" mentioned, one of the cradles that goes across the engine bay. At that point, especially if you choose the cherry picker, you've got a LOT of the weight off the front of the car, and supported independantly. The rest of the car, the rear, should then be pretty stable.

Unbolt the front spindles, then the lower a-arms and shocks, and even more of the weight is removed. Then drop the K-member with a floor jack.

I installed poly body mount biscuits on a '77 Trans Am I used to own. I had to unbolt the front subframe from the rear body section of the car to do it. I left the engine in place, and even left the front clip sheet metal in place. It was tedious and a little tricky, but I managed to do it by myself.
Old 11-29-2008, 06:19 AM
TECH Addict

Good news guys, frame shop called late yesterday and said the car was ready. Even better news he said the frame is in perfect shape and the only item out of whack is the crossmember. He believes changing the crossmember and lower a-arms will solve the problem
Old 11-29-2008, 10:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The K-Member install really isn't that difficult if you're mechanically inclined and have a decently equipped garage. I did a K-Member, wheel bearings, upper and lower A arms in a weekend (mine's a daily driver also). Here's the places you could get burned...

Bolts seizing in the upper A-Arm bushings and you end up having to cut them out or grind them off.

The rear bolt that goes into the lower A-Arm sieizing in the bushing. See above.

I ended up replacing the upper and lower A-Arm mounting bolts on both sides.

If your brake lines are ratty be prepared to replace them if they break during the install. Have extra tubing and a flaring tool handy.

You'll probably need a buddy available to help line up the new K-member. It can be a bit of a PITA. Don't be surprised if you have to pull and pry a bit. Also the friend will come in handy when you're trying to get the motor mount bolts back in.

I realize the proper way to do it is to support the engine from the top when you pull the old K-member. I did mine redneck style. 2x6 cut to a decent size square between the oil pan and a floor jack, loosen the mounts and jack the engine up just till you see the mounting bolts wiggle. You're good from there on out.

Hope you get it all sorted.
Old 12-05-2008, 09:31 PM
TECH Addict

i'm not too far from you. if you need an extra pair of hands after finals let me know
Old 12-05-2008, 11:24 PM
On The Tree

I would replace the k member it is not hard at all. The motor does not have to come out. I did mine by myself lying on the floor in my drive way, no way in hell I would pay someone to that. The only special tool I needed was a floor jack. LOL
Old 12-06-2008, 07:26 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by qwikz28
i'm not too far from you. if you need an extra pair of hands after finals let me know
Thanks man

Most likely I'll take it to a shop, but if I change my mind I'll def need help at some point.

Quick Reply: K-Member Install Cost