Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Update: Strano Performance Parts Lowering Springs

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 04:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine are showing online as "out for delivery".
Old 01-14-2009, 04:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 02SS0384
Mine are showing online as "out for delivery".
Yours are going to Idaho
Old 01-14-2009, 08:09 PM
Staging Lane

Mine arrived today! Thank You Very Much Sam! To anyone who is looking for a better handling F-bod: Talk to Sam! He is honest and forthright, and his combos work.
I just realized I'm going to have to wait till summer to give the Z28 a beatin' with the new springs at the Beav'.

Damn
Old 01-14-2009, 09:21 PM
Staging Lane

My set arrived today. Thanks Sam!
Old 01-14-2009, 09:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine is six hours away
Old 01-14-2009, 09:46 PM
Teching In

Sam Thanks for the quick shipment on the springs. placed the order Sunday, and they ship that tuesday. Damn I don't think i have ever had something ship out that quickly. Once again thanks! I'll hit you up in a couple weeks for the Konis.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just ordered my Strano springs!! Still need to decide which Shocks to go with though. I was thinking the BilStein HD Strano Setup, but the description say for "stock springs." Don't think I can swing the konis, any recomendations?
Old 01-14-2009, 11:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Debating shocks myself. [Springs will be here tomorrow. I was going to just leave the stock shocks... but since I'll have everything apart.... just makes since to do shocks at the same time.]

I'm think about the KYB AGX. Seems like they would be a good option. Konis are nice but seem over-kill for my purpose.

I'm just looking for a drop and a little better performance.
Old 01-15-2009, 02:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just found another post where Sam was saying that only the KYBs and the Konis could handle his spring, so I guess that's a no on the Bilstein setup.

I guess the question I have is how does the KYB ride compare to a Bilstein ride on springs they can both work with. I ask, because my wife's Mustang is running Bilsteins and I'm very happy with how it rides and don't want to go KYB unless I know they'll be at least as good as what I expect from Bilsteins.

Does that even make sense what I'm trying to find out?
Old 01-15-2009, 02:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Thumbs up

Springs came in!
Old 01-15-2009, 03:07 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts

I don't know how to make this any more clear. Bilstein's are not valved for, or intended for lowering springs. You can do it if you wish. Some think it's fine. I certainly feel it's better than stock shocks and lowering springs. But the fact of the matter is, as good quality the Bilstein's are they just lack rebound damping for the higher rate/shorter travel springs to be able to control them properly over the long term.

Is it hateful? No, but it's not what I want from the car. Many do it and rave about the shocks. When they are new and as their absolute best. When you start with damping not intended for the rates/travel you are asking a lot from the shocks and any amount of wear makes the lack of damping greater and greater.

I know you all would love for me to say that Bilstein's are perfect for my springs. I cannot do that in all good conscience. You could do worse, certainly. But there is a reason I use so many Koni's, they are the best. AGX's offer you at least some adjustment range and enough actual rebound force to handle the spring rate and give you some options. They just aren't built as well as either Bilstein or Koni's, and the damping range and way the shocks work over sharp bumps does not compare to a Koni.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 01-15-2009, 03:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 289 Likes on 190 Posts

Got mine today too!

Thanks Sam.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I don't know how to make this any more clear. Bilstein's are not valved for, or intended for lowering springs. You can do it if you wish. Some think it's fine. I certainly feel it's better than stock shocks and lowering springs. But the fact of the matter is, as good quality the Bilstein's are they just lack rebound damping for the higher rate/shorter travel springs to be able to control them properly over the long term.

Is it hateful? No, but it's not what I want from the car. Many do it and rave about the shocks. When they are new and as their absolute best. When you start with damping not intended for the rates/travel you are asking a lot from the shocks and any amount of wear makes the lack of damping greater and greater.

I know you all would love for me to say that Bilstein's are perfect for my springs. I cannot do that in all good conscience. You could do worse, certainly. But there is a reason I use so many Koni's, they are the best. AGX's offer you at least some adjustment range and enough actual rebound force to handle the spring rate and give you some options. They just aren't built as well as either Bilstein or Koni's, and the damping range and way the shocks work over sharp bumps does not compare to a Koni.

I knew I screwed up my question...I definitely will not by Bilsteins for your springs Sam!!

I guess my question is are KYB's as good a quality shock as Bilsteins...I guess I just don't know anything about how good a product the KYBs are and just know in the proper application Bilsteins do a great job...just not for lowering springs. Does that make any better sense?
Old 01-15-2009, 03:40 PM
11 Second Club

But the fact of the matter is, as good quality the Bilstein's are they just lack rebound damping for the higher rate/shorter travel springs to be able to control them properly over the long term.

When they are new and as their absolute best.

I know you all would love for me to say that Bilstein's are perfect for my springs. I cannot do that in all good conscience.
Reading this and fully understanding where you are coming from, I'd like to ask a quick question that may help others make an educated decision as well.

I have brand new Bilstein HD's on my car with some older, low mileage, 1LE springs right now. I know they obviously aren't the optimum choice with your springs. I've read that many times and I do understand why.

but...

Should someone who really doesn't drive many miles, or (honestly) all that aggressively, still also wait until they can afford the premium shocks of choice (Koni), or install your springs with what they have, KNOWING that their shocks (Bilsteins) will only work reasonably well and for a limited time? I ask because I just got a drastic cutback in hours at work, and for the foreseeable future cannot possibly justify ANY new shocks, whether they be KYB or Konis. Just trying to decide if I should wait it out, or not, in your valued opinion.

(btw, I am a heavy equipment mechanic by trade, so swapping at a later date is no issue at all for me.)

Thanks.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

They just aren't built as well as either Bilstein or Koni's, and the damping range and way the shocks work over sharp bumps does not compare to a Koni.
Missed that part the first read through...my bad...that answers my question, Koni's it is, now...How many pints of blood do I have to sell?
Old 01-15-2009, 03:55 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by z28ss4me
I knew I screwed up my question...I definitely will not by Bilsteins for your springs Sam!!

I guess my question is are KYB's as good a quality shock as Bilsteins...I guess I just don't know anything about how good a product the KYBs are and just know in the proper application Bilsteins do a great job...just not for lowering springs. Does that make any better sense?
I'm doing my best to give you the best answers I can without making a statement that's just not accurate.

Re-read my previous post. I mention quality in it.

Both AGX's and Bilstein's cost around the same amount. You pay for a high quality damper in the Bilstein. For similar money you pay for an adjustable damper in the AGX. To get both (and with better adjustment range and mechanisms), step up to a Koni. Otherwise, you pick your poison. Adequate and super durable, or more appropriate valving but not bulletproof.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm doing my best to give you the best answers I can without making a statement that's just not accurate.

Re-read my previous post. I mention quality in it.

Both AGX's and Bilstein's cost around the same amount. You pay for a high quality damper in the Bilstein. For similar money you pay for an adjustable damper in the AGX. To get both (and with better adjustment range and mechanisms), step up to a Koni. Otherwise, you pick your poison. Adequate and super durable, or more appropriate valving but not bulletproof.
Thanks Sam! I'll get the Koni's...Taxes come in in a few days and I'll probably feel better about dropping the cash for the Konis.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:11 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by rel3rd
Reading this and fully understanding where you are coming from, I'd like to ask a quick question that may help others make an educated decision as well.

I have brand new Bilstein HD's on my car with some older, low mileage, 1LE springs right now. I know they obviously aren't the optimum choice with your springs. I've read that many times and I do understand why.

but...

Should someone who really doesn't drive many miles, or (honestly) all that aggressively, still also wait until they can afford the premium shocks of choice (Koni), or install your springs with what they have, KNOWING that their shocks (Bilsteins) will only work reasonably well and for a limited time? I ask because I just got a drastic cutback in hours at work, and for the foreseeable future cannot possibly justify ANY new shocks, whether they be KYB or Konis. Just trying to decide if I should wait it out, or not, in your valued opinion.

(btw, I am a heavy equipment mechanic by trade, so swapping at a later date is no issue at all for me.)

Thanks.

Sure you can do that. Far be it for me to say you can't do something, espeically when you lay out like you have.

Can you run Bilstein's? Absolutely. Are they IMO the best choice? I don't believe they are. Then again, I have customers running my springs on stock shocks and in a number of cases they are happy, relative to what they had before. Everyone is different, and without the benefit of actual testing for yourself you have to make the decision that you feel is best for your circumstance. I'll help as much as I can, and understand Koni's are not exactly inexpensive. But then again, I run them so it becomes hard for me to tell someone to run something I don't use and say it's right.

If in the future you feel it's time to change dampers, then we'll change them. Being very blunt, I don't like it when folks run sub-par shocks with my springs, because the shocks have so much to do with the package. Cheap-o dampers make for a less desireable result (of course some are worse than others), and that tend to reflect on the springs. FWIW, this is the case with most any spring, but when my name is on a set, I'm more aware of it.

So, here's the deal. I'm ok with Bilstein's or AGX's (even a few others) with my springs. *BUT*, I will remind folks that if there is a complaint that stems from dampers I don't want it laid at the feet of the springs. And impact harshness is much more shock related than spring related.

Edited to add: As folks adjust adjustable shocks they'll see a tangible change in how the car feels and acts which would tell you just how responsible the shocks are on the ride side.

Last edited by Sam Strano; 01-15-2009 at 05:27 PM.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:25 PM
11 Second Club

Fair enough Sam. Thank you for your honesty.

Going from clunky chassis mount torque arm, no front swaybar, with near bald drag radials and skinnies on the front, to your springs, and some nice 17" rims and tires, I'm sure I'll have no complaints.
Old 01-15-2009, 05:28 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by rel3rd
Fair enough Sam. Thank you for your honesty.

Going from clunky chassis mount torque arm, no front swaybar, with near bald drag radials and skinnies on the front, to your springs, and some nice 17" rims and tires, I'm sure I'll have no complaints.
It'll feel like a Formula 1 car relative to what you had. You are putting a front bar back on, right? (I'm sure you are).

Quick Reply: Update: Strano Performance Parts Lowering Springs