Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Solution for cars with no factory traction control

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 08:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Solution for cars with no factory traction control

I am finding my new built 408 with twin turbos a real handful to drive and after research its too hard and expensive to convert my current car to traction control.

But came across this which looks not too expensive and seems to fit the bill.
It works on many cars and does appear to work with 3 channel abs and the holdens are named which think are all very similar to our f bodies.

Company is called racelogic.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:33 AM
TECH Veteran

http://www.racelogic.co.uk/?show=Traction_Control
Old 12-02-2008, 09:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What do you do with your car? A twin turbo 408 seems like it would be a handful for any turn style racing. I autox a 400 rwhp car and that's hard enough.

So basically your considering adding traction control to the car? If I race any car that has that I typically turn it off
Old 12-02-2008, 09:55 AM
TECH Veteran

My car is 99% street car,don't autocross or any other road racing. I do like to go fast sometimes and do like to use the power..out of town and on deserted roads on sunday morning type of thing! And will track the car a bit 1/4 mile and run the odd buddy off the track. Again on deserted highways.

I don't have stock traction control and yeah its a pretty dumb traction control .You can't adjust sensitivity like the racelogic or vette traction controls.

So was looking at this thing . The main reasons they give on the site are same reasons that want one. My crazy brother sometimes drives my car. Let the occasional friend try it out as well. Wife not a chance in hell! LOL

It is pricey when you start adding in options and guess need the 8 cylinder version ? and wish there was plug and play harnesses made up for it..don't really like hacking into factory wiring. Maybe lg/louis could make up some factory type harnesses and sell them to us f body guys.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:56 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Looks like a nice setup, kinda what GM shoulda done
(and actually tries to, with the spark cut, but follows
too close with throttle and ABS). I like that it tries to
enforce a finite slip and that the value is adjustable,
and apparently control is linear (not "oops, must now
clamp that **** down" GM style).

I had some improvement on my car, by increasing the
maximum traction control spark retard values from
stock; this gives the spark-cut more authority and can
keep you out of throttle-relax if the spark cut is having
success. But it's easy enough to overrun that with even
modest mods.

Be interested to know just how solid it is, for 535 pounds
Sterling....
Old 12-02-2008, 10:10 AM
TECH Junkie

I don't know man... I just can't see spending all that money for street driving only. If I were you I'd take that thing to the drag strip and have fun with the 408 tt engine there. I wouldn't waste money on a traction control system. I'm biased since I race my car... I only buy modifications if they benefit me in some way. Getting from point A to point B doesn't require many mods in my opinion. That's about all I can contribute to this thread... no offense meant by this
Old 12-03-2008, 02:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't see why you would need anymore traction control than just your right foot. My TA doesn't have it and I never even considered it. Just put some good tries on it and keep your foot out of the gas and you should never have a problem. My car never spins the tires unless I make it.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:58 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

Racelogic TC is serious, race-bred stuff. You can even adjust it for the amount of wheelspin you want. Throttle control is great, but realistically trying to control a 408 is hard enough. Add twin turbos, and the associated lag and I can see exactly why he would look into a real traction control system.

If you can afford it, and are willing to install it, go for it. You can always turn it off if you want to do a huge burnout.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-03-2008, 03:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Exactly..NA cars are much easier to modulate with the throttle. Turbos have that lag no matter how perfectly they are sized. Combine that with a strong on its own built 408 and you have a lot of torque hitting those tires when it gets any boost happening.

And thought could ramp up the boost gradually with my eboost2 but you can't ramp it up less than the minimum gate springs and you can't go too low on the minimum gate springs or you won't be able to get a decent boost level when you want to.

Catch 22. I will likley try some et street radials this coming season and see how I like them. The car does not go out in rain unless caught in it.Its not my daily driver.

But admit might give that traction control a try.
Old 12-03-2008, 06:59 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I read somewhere just recently that the Racelogic tc system is the same one used on the IRL cars. I read that on the net. So it must be true.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:29 PM
Banned

can this be added to a car with a 4 channel system? it just seems alot safer on my brand new 10K motor and 5K turbo kit
Old 12-03-2008, 09:50 PM
Banned

if it helps launch a 800 horse power car. i am game. since i got to deal with the whole reaching for second gear thing. the more the car and computer do for traction. the better i can pay attention to shifting and getting a fast time.
Old 12-03-2008, 09:54 PM
TECH Veteran

It will work fine with three or four channel abs it sounds like. Cars without abs you just add sensors. Cars with you tie into the circuits and cars with three channel you do some extra software stuff. The unit is pricey and not 100% sure which one I would get..
Old 12-04-2008, 10:16 AM
Banned

if you look at the dealers. there is one in usa. and it is less then 45 min from me. i might stop over there and see what they say.

Quick Reply: Solution for cars with no factory traction control