Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Springs advice

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 01:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Springs advice

As you can see in the pic my SS sits pretty high...

the gap is about 3"... i already have Koni shocks at home and wanted to lower it at the same time since I'm changing the shocks. I was thinking about a 1,5-2" drop. Now the problem I have: I live in Germany and I can only use springs made in germany otherwise i can't get them through TUV. So the only springs i found til now are the Eibachs (LS1 Pro Kit) or Vogtlands. I've read that the rear eibachs are too soft and sag after a while what about vogtlands? Does anyone know their rate? (I've already looked a lot but couldn't find the Vogtland spring rate)

Last edited by ll vAAm ll; 12-02-2008 at 03:34 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm almost 100% sure Strano springs are made in Germany. Do a search and you'll see that most people prefer Strano's over any.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:34 PM
Teching In

I would love to use sam's springs coz his rates (i think about 500 front and 150 rear) are kinda exactly what I want for my car. But I can't coz on the springs it's going to stay Strano Springs and not Vogtland. Nobody here in Germany knows this brand and my SS wont pass TUV! You guys in the states have a lot more to chose from. Me here in Germany, I'm limited to these 2 brands or do you know another one?
Old 12-02-2008, 04:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you can only use springs made in germany then you should be able to use strano springs since they are made in germany.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:10 PM
Teching In

you're right, but the springs made in Germany for the german market are coming with a TUV-report and I think I might need this too and I'm sure Sam doesn't have smth like this done, cuz you don't need it in the states. Plus, as I already said, I'm looking for a drop between 1,5 and 2".

But I'll call the guy who's gonna put the springs/shocks on my car and then get it through TUV and ask if he thinks he can get Sam's springs through TUV too since they're made in Germany...

Still have a question that's not answered. What are the rates of Vogtlands and does somebody have pics of lowered cars with them?
Old 12-02-2008, 06:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ll vAAm ll
you're right, but the springs made in Germany for the german market are coming with a TUV-report and I think I might need this too and I'm sure Sam doesn't have smth like this done, cuz you don't need it in the states. Plus, as I already said, I'm looking for a drop between 1,5 and 2".
If you are interested in handling (assuming you are since you have konis) then you don't want a drop more than 1.5". You need suspension travel for the car to handle correctly. Sam didn't just randomly pick a ride height to go with, his springs are specifically tuned for handling, and he feels that the 1.2" is the best height for it. Seeing that he dominates the F-stock class with his suspension I would listen to him.

But I'll call the guy who's gonna put the springs/shocks on my car and then get it through TUV and ask if he thinks he can get Sam's springs through TUV too since they're made in Germany...

Still have a question that's not answered. What are the rates of Vogtlands and does somebody have pics of lowered cars with them?
Whats this TUV? Some kind of emissions?
Are you saying they are going to inspect your car, see the white springs and know they are after market? Why not spray paint them black and say they are stock, or some kind of SLP option?

Heres info on the Vogtlands:
Working spring rates:
Front: 440 lb./in. - 542 lb./in.
Rear: 183 lb./in. - 228 lb./in.

Rear seems overly stiff.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:18 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Given the case, this is where I'd recommend a set of LT1 Eibach Pro-kits. More suitable rates than the Vogtlands, and being Eibach should be TUV approved.

If he thinks mine will pass, I'd happily send you a set. I have customers in Germany running on them... I don't know how they get by with them if it's a big problem. My springs are made by Vogtland, and are made in Germany. While that's not a TUV pass, you might find that Vogtland has TUV approval as a company and it won't be an issue. I don't know what else to tell you.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-02-2008, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

https://ls1tech.com/forums/4407125-post5.html

I know that this post doesn't directly relate to the parts enquired here, however I thought that it may serve at least two purposes:

1. Holger (the one who posted the details) has imported US made items and performed the appropriate measures to get them German TUV approved.

2. He might be able to chime in here and give some recommendations on how to get German manufactured items not necessarily marketed for German road use to be TUV approved.

He's actually been quite helpful in explaining to me through several PM's on how German TUV approval for custom items works.

I'd also like to note that I kind of agree with what Sam states, so hopefully his springs should be TUV roadworthy. They're not as low as other springs, but from what I've seen on several cars which had them, it's actually a good thing that they're not lower than what they are (for performance reasons).
Old 12-03-2008, 11:23 AM
Teching In

@JD_AMG: In Germany, after you make changes like this to your car, you have to drive to the TUV inspection and get their aproval, otherwise you're driving without insurance. Perf. mods are making the insurance invalid unless these mods are registered in your car papers.

@Sam: thanks. I think I'll buy the LT1 Pro Kit.

@Foxxtron: thanks. That guy posted in a german board too. But it all kinda sounds like a tale for me.

I called that guy and he said he has a TUV report for Eibach springs and he could get them through TUV. Vogtland doesn't offer a TUV report for these springs, means they're out of question.

I guess I'll have to take Eibachs.

Quick Reply: Springs advice