Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

need advise on what to get ordering tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 10:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need advise on what to get ordering tomorrow

I need a torque arm, shocks(drag also will be a DD) anything else to improve handling. that is withing reason the car has 105k on it

I also need TIRES the best handling tires its cold out and there will be snow but I HIGHLY dout ill still have the car out by the time it snows.
Old 12-08-2008, 01:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Can you be a little more elaborate?
So you want to improve handling but you want drag shocks?
Old 12-08-2008, 06:22 AM
12 Second Club

I want toimprove handling but I also will be draging with the car, Its a daily driver so I cant have something good for only 2000 miles. I need to eliminate wheelhop also
Old 12-08-2008, 07:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suspect JD_AMG wanted you to elaborate a little more.
The standard routine is:
LCAs - I prefer UMIs single adjustable poly rod units - quiet but allows articulation
PHB - I prefer UMIs single adjustable poly rod unit - quiet but strong
LCA relocation brackets - I prefer the bolt on so I can do it myself
Adjustable torque arm - I prefer the longer transmission mount, with a relocation bracket with driveshaft loop if you want to take the stress off the tailshaft
Shocks - I prefer the SA Konis from Sam Strano, who provides superb support during and after the sale
Tires - Not my area of expertise if you need to drive in the snow. If not, I prefer ET Streets.
If I were you, I would call Sam and talk to him before you buy anything. Let him know what your intentions are and he can recommend the best equipment for your situation.
Hope this helps, and best of luck.
Old 12-08-2008, 02:15 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Happy to help you with some advice.

Koni's rock, but reading the OP I think this is a case where a set of Bilstein's would suffice. A TA isn't a handling mod, but we can look into one for you drag purposes. A TA can and does help wheelhop... but then the shocks might stop it too, so could LCA's or brackets, or any combination of those things.

I'd say get the shocks on first, and see what we have and decide from there.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-08-2008, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

and just to clarrify what were dealing with, is this a firebird or a formula?
Old 12-08-2008, 09:10 PM
12 Second Club

Formula WS6 with around 105 on the clock
Old 12-08-2008, 09:44 PM
12 Second Club

Ill have a 1 year old UMI adjustable torque arm with D.S loop for sale here pretty soon. In good shape with some scuffs on the bottom of the mount due to scraping (ill paint it up before I sell). pm me if interested
Old 12-08-2008, 10:23 PM
TECH Junkie

You sound like you should probably analyze what you want to do with the car within the next few years at least and research a bit of your options. Sounds like you don't know what you want yet, but for some reason have to order tomorrow. So I suggest doing some research first before ordering or else you may end up with something you don't want. You could potentially go down two very different paths here and find out later on that you wish you went the complete opposite direction in the first place.

shocks and springs seem to be one of the most re-done modifications in our car because typically people buy into all the marketing hype and can't figure out why they hate their suspension's handling, ride quality, etc... and are almost like complete opposites when it comes to drag applications vs handling applications
Old 12-09-2008, 11:46 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

The OP and I spoke a bit last night. I recommended he do a little thinking about what he dislikes most. He's got a wheelhop issue and all the other complaints stem from damping troubles. I also feel his wheelhop will be greatly improved at the minimum with shocks that can acutally damp the frequency the axle is prone to hopping at. Remember compresison damping deals with unsprung weight, and the axle and everything bolted to it unsprung weight. And I know that he's unhappy with the rebound damping as well, given the conversation.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-09-2008, 12:18 PM
TECH Junkie

The OP def doin the right thing by calling Sam