Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Want to lower my car, but I have an exhaust question...

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 11:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Want to lower my car, but I have an exhaust question...

I want to lower my car, but not too much. I like the look of the Eibach Pro set. Just enough to get the gap around the wheel pretty much the same all the way around.

Anyway, I don't know if I can. I have some custom duals from a local guy. He did a great job, and my ground clearance actually is better than with my old Y, so that won't be an issue. But the thing is, he put one of the pipes over the drivers side of the axle. It's a 2.5" pipe, so it isn't huge, but still it isn't really supposed to be there. For a while after I got it, it the panhard bar would bump the exhaust whenever i went over a really big bump or nasty train tracks or something. Now there's a little dent there, so it basically doesn't do it anymore.

I'm just thinking though, if I lower it by 1.2" like it says it does, that will make the bar close to that much closer, making it probably start hitting again. But then again, the new springs probably have a higher spring rate, right? So that might keep it away from it still. What do you guys think? Would I be able to do it, or will I have to change my exhaust if i want to do that (which would make me sad, because I really like how mine sounds )?

Thanks
Old 12-08-2008, 12:54 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check out the panhard relocation kit... it will help give some exhaust clearance for over the axle setups...
Old 12-08-2008, 01:21 AM
12 Second Club

Yeah, i was thinking about the BMR relocation kit, but when i looked at pictures it looks like the drop is only about an inch, and it's on the passenger's side... so how much would that really affect the distance under the driver's side pipe?
Old 12-08-2008, 01:46 AM
11 Second Club

Oops, sorry, I missed it where you said they had a pipe on each side.
Old 12-08-2008, 03:56 PM
12 Second Club

Hmm..... I hope my only option isn't to just redo the entire exhaust.... that would be expensive...

I could probably sell my duals on here though for a decent amount. They're still in really good shape and a good exhaust.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:12 PM

Jesus man don't a ***** just lower that hoe
Old 12-11-2008, 02:36 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Trev_SS
Jesus man don't a ***** just lower that hoe
LoL...Great advice and I'm sure he plans on lowering it...but just didn't want to crush his exhaust in the process
Old 12-11-2008, 02:43 AM
11 Second Club

I have eibach sportlines with longtubes and custom ory. My exhaust doesnt scrape anywhere. SOMETIMES i might have to take something at an angle but normally I do ok. Just do it. these cars look some much better lowered I think.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:15 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SSmoken
I have eibach sportlines with longtubes and custom ory. My exhaust doesnt scrape anywhere. SOMETIMES i might have to take something at an angle but normally I do ok. Just do it. these cars look some much better lowered I think.
He is worried about crunching the pipe going over his axle.... not much clearance there..
Old 12-11-2008, 08:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Might have to hack up that exhaust and run it differently....ive seen pics of a dual exhaust setup on a couple forums of a NBM t/a and wasn't sure whos it was. If i find the pic ill post it, if its yours, then you sir have one bad *** set up
Old 12-11-2008, 08:51 AM
Teching In

IMO i would get the exhaust changed lowering it will be well worth it
Old 12-11-2008, 11:18 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

You need to remember that suspension parts are not built around aftermarket or non-stock type things like exhausts that run elsewhere.....

A PHB relocation kit does make room over the PHB brace on the right side, but it does it by messing up the suspension geometry. I.E. it's a cobble job to fit some pipes and there is no way I ever recommend them (and we do have one to sell, sometimes folks want what they want, doesn't mean I have to agree).

The piping here is run in a strange location. It sounds to me as if it's running under the PHB brace, but over the PHB itself. Is it running over the axle too (I'd assume it is).

If the car has the bumpstops on it, they are the limiting factor in the rear suspension travel. Stock cars, lowered cars both get onto the stops. I'm sure you are already... you can check for clean spots on the axle under the bumpstops to be sure. If that's the case, and I'm sure it is, you already are using all the available travel. Lowering is a bit more statically won't effect the maximum movement dynamically....

Without any guarantee, based on your homemade system, I think you can lower the car and not have a whole heap of trouble given you claim the pipe already clearanced itself.

As a reminder, we also sell Eibach (and other springs).
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 12-11-2008, 02:22 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
You need to remember that suspension parts are not built around aftermarket or non-stock type things like exhausts that run elsewhere.....

A PHB relocation kit does make room over the PHB brace on the right side, but it does it by messing up the suspension geometry. I.E. it's a cobble job to fit some pipes and there is no way I ever recommend them (and we do have one to sell, sometimes folks want what they want, doesn't mean I have to agree).

The piping here is run in a strange location. It sounds to me as if it's running under the PHB brace, but over the PHB itself. Is it running over the axle too (I'd assume it is).

If the car has the bumpstops on it, they are the limiting factor in the rear suspension travel. Stock cars, lowered cars both get onto the stops. I'm sure you are already... you can check for clean spots on the axle under the bumpstops to be sure. If that's the case, and I'm sure it is, you already are using all the available travel. Lowering is a bit more statically won't effect the maximum movement dynamically....

Without any guarantee, based on your homemade system, I think you can lower the car and not have a whole heap of trouble given you claim the pipe already clearanced itself.

As a reminder, we also sell Eibach (and other springs).
Thanks for the answer. That helped a lot.

You're exactly right about where he ran the pipe. I'll see if I can find a pic here in a second.

Like I said, when he first put it on it would bump from time to time, but now it basically doesn't do that unless I have a bunch of weight in the back and hit a huge but or some really bad train tracks or something. When I first got it I took it back to him and he raised the pipe a little and wrapped the PHB in a piece of rubber maybe 1/2" thick to help the impact if it happened. There is a little dent in the exhaust now that's about 1/4" deep maybe from it hitting. I haven't heard it in a long time though, so I'm not completely sure that it would touch at all if it really is hitting the bump stops first now.

Anyway, I'll go look for a picture so you can see what it is.

Ok, here you go. These are on the lift (car sitting on it as you can see, so it has all the weight on the wheels like normal), and from when he first installed the exhaust, so it was before he lifted he driver's side pipe probably another 1/2" or something.

Oh, and btw, I see you have springs on your site too. how do those compare to the Eibach springs? They say 1.2" too, but how about spring rates and stuff? (actually, is there a chance one or the other would keep it off the exhaust better? lol)

Last edited by Speedmonster185; 12-11-2008 at 02:31 PM.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:28 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Your setup is not ideal, and you have to expect the exhaust and PHB to hit at some point.... I don't think you can really pick springs based on that goofy setup as we're starting with something we know hits.

My springs are in reality a bit less drop than Pro-kits are, and we use a bit more spring rate as well. Between the two I think you'd find mine more to your liking (many others have tried both and prefer mine and don't have this issue with the exhaust either).
Old 12-11-2008, 06:13 PM
12 Second Club

Hmmm.... Well I'll check out the bump stops tomorrow. Do you still think if it's hitting those already that I'll be ok?

I just don't like having to worry about it going BAM! every time I go over any bumps. And then probably screwing up the exhaust...
Old 12-11-2008, 06:45 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

If you are on the stops, you are on the stops... that's the limiting factor... which springs only change how often you are on them, and how hard you hit them (ride and handling differences). But on the travel side, the limit the range of motion regardless of springs.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:26 AM
Teching In

why not just dump it off before the axle is it completely necessary to have exhaust exiting out the rear.....
Old 12-16-2008, 11:02 AM
12 Second Club

With a camaro, no. With those giant holes for tips on the TA I need something back there...

I checked btw, and the exhaust hits before the bump stops, so the lowering is a no-go with the current setup. So either I'm not lowering it or I'm finding a new exhaust setup.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Speedmonster185
With a camaro, no. With those giant holes for tips on the TA I need something back there...

I checked btw, and the exhaust hits before the bump stops, so the lowering is a no-go with the current setup. So either I'm not lowering it or I'm finding a new exhaust setup.
how much suspension travel do you have .....i would look into running it below the axle then