Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

LCA Relocation Brackets - Yes or No?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 05:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default LCA Relocation Brackets - Yes or No?

I have a UMI transmission mounted adjustable torque arm. I am still experiencing wheel spin, but no wheel hop. I also have a UMI single adjustable PHB which I used to center the rear left-to-right.
I am looking at the UMI single adjustable LCAs to both center the wheels front-to-rear and to give me better traction. Do I need the relocation brackets? Car is stock height, will never be lowered. I am just looking to plant the tires better at launch.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:46 AM
12 Second Club

the brackets main purpose is to stop wheelhop. but im sure it will help with traction also.

ill most likely be picking up the same pieces up as you very soon, but im lowered.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if its not lowered, you have no need for an adjustable PHB. thats only needed when you lower, which will move the rear. it does nothing for traction or performance, it only re-centers the rear.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
if its not lowered, you have no need for an adjustable PHB. thats only needed when you lower, which will move the rear. it does nothing for traction or performance, it only re-centers the rear.
I am afraid I must disagree that it is needed only when lowered.
Case in point: I drove my car home in Feb. 97 from the dealer's lot, so I know everything that has been done to it. Suspension was completely stock, no mods, not lowered, nothing done at all. I measured the wheels and discovered that the passenger's side rear wheel stuck out 13/16" more than the driver's side rear wheel. This explained why the car went for the right side ditch during a hard launch. I installed and adjusted the PHB. The wheels are now centered left-to-right, and the car no longer heads for the ditch during a hard launch.
And I am not the only one; other members have also reported that fbodys have this issue.

Last edited by koolaid_kid; 12-21-2008 at 07:47 AM.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:47 AM
Teching In

yeah as mentioned in plenty of other threads, just because you are not lowered does not mean your rear end is perfectly centered, part of production tolerances
Old 12-21-2008, 09:04 AM
12 Second Club

phb wth rod ends also help the rear stay straight instead of the rubber bushings giving the rear end some movement.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

lca relocation brackets - YES.

with street tires and a 3600 stall, the relocation brackets can only do so much.
now that you mention it, after re-centering my rear, i also like how my car tracks straight when spinning through 1st and 2nd - i don't have to let off unless i want it to bite.

as far as traction goes... i had nonadjustable poly/poly bmr lca's and switched to umi adjustable rod/poly lca with the relocation brackets. i can't say that changing the lca's gave me anything other than a fix to the binding issue, but the relocation brackets did add traction.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Yes - Relocation brackets for you. Regardless if your lowered or not.

With the angle of the arms lower at the axle end. When the wheels push the axle forward, the axle pushes on the lca's forward. Since the axle end is lower, it also forces the axle downward depending on the angle.

Quick Reply: LCA Relocation Brackets - Yes or No?