Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Just purchased '02 SS w/130K miles. what shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 12:22 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just purchased '02 SS w/130K miles. what shocks?

Hey fellas,
As the thread states. The car has been very well kept and will suite my plans for future mods/performance. But the suspension/ride quality needs help ASAP. I've been doing the search for 3hrs now and the best out there is the Strano/Koni set up. I can't afford the koni shocks but I will be calling Sam Monday to order the Strano springs (part # SP141). I'd like to replace the shocks while I'm in there. What shocks are recommended other than the Konis. Anything should be better than what I have now with the high milage.
Sams sells the modified Bilsteins, but they are out of my price range at the moment as well.

thanks in advance.

-Lamar
Old 12-28-2008, 12:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

lowering ? if not the KYB AGX Adjustables get a good rep. ill be going with them when its time for a suspension upgrade to stock ride height.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:55 AM
Teching In

Hey,
thanks for the reply. Yes, I do want to lower the car about 1-1.25" The springs are said to give the 1.25 drop I'm looking for. I'm still searching this matter. I may have to suffer the ride quality until I can save enough funds to get the Koni/strano combo. Its may take a while (Wife, 2 kids, and mortgage-lol).

thanks again. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. I may have overlooked a thread/post during my search.

-Lamar
Old 12-28-2008, 01:38 AM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

I'm gonna say Strano/Koni combo
Old 12-28-2008, 01:43 AM
12 Second Club

i've heard alot of good comments about the kyb agx set up for dd
Old 12-28-2008, 01:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

If ride quality is the real irritant at this moment, then shocks will be the answers. Quality shocks are preferred. If you do opt for the Koni SA's and money is an issue, then consider purchasing a pair for either front or rear, then purchase the next pair when funds are available.

I say opt for the rears since those are not only responsible for the majority of the ride quality of the car (but not completely), but also install relatively directly. Again, rear is not substitute for the front, however it is an option that helps significantly in the meantime. AFA which shock to choose in the end you should discuss with Sam Strano, provided you're still opting for his stuff.
Old 12-28-2008, 03:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

koni shocks 4/3
Old 12-28-2008, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Koni's are worth every penny.
Anything else is a waste of money considering you will be getting the koni's eventually anyway when the others wear out. Spend the money once and forget about it. JMO
Old 12-28-2008, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SoxXpupPeT
lowering ? if not the KYB AGX Adjustables get a good rep. ill be going with them when its time for a suspension upgrade to stock ride height.
KYB AGX shocks are good for lowered cars as well as stock height, they are adjustable.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:21 AM
Teching In

Hello
Thanks for the advice guys. I thought about it all last night. I'd would rather spend the funds one time and be done with it. With that said, I'm gonna have to suffer the ride for the moment--when I do drive the car-- until I save the funds for the Strano/koni combo. Luckily, I have an '07 Civic, so the SS is not my daily driver. (sorry I didn't mention that earlier). I'm so excited that I finally convinced the wife to let me get the car (she still thinks I should have waited) after not having V8 power for almost 2 years-lol.

Thanks again for all the replys.

-Tim
Old 12-28-2008, 03:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 01CaMMMaro
KYB AGX shocks are good for lowered cars as well as stock height, they are adjustable.
I'd go with a good set of Bilstiens for stock springs. KYB AGX if you want to lower the car and don't want to spend a ton of money, though I'd definitely cough up the extra dough for the konis. KYB won't support their shocks if they have problems if you used lowering springs. KYB has worse build quality than Bilstien and Koni. KYB AGX's adjust both compression and rebound with the same ****, which sucks. If I want more rebound when the compression is fine, I don't want to increase my compression to increase rebound. Hurts ride quality as well as performance. Koni SA's have a static compression setting and adjustable rebound. The compression setting is fine for many different types of springs available from stock to aftermarket.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by z28bryan
I'd go with a good set of Bilstiens for stock springs. KYB AGX if you want to lower the car and don't want to spend a ton of money, though I'd definitely cough up the extra dough for the konis. KYB won't support their shocks if they have problems if you used lowering springs. KYB has worse build quality than Bilstien and Koni. KYB AGX's adjust both compression and rebound with the same ****, which sucks. If I want more rebound when the compression is fine, I don't want to increase my compression to increase rebound. Hurts ride quality as well as performance. Koni SA's have a static compression setting and adjustable rebound. The compression setting is fine for many different types of springs available from stock to aftermarket.
I would most definately recommend koni's, as well as everyone else on this site probably would, but they are so damn expensive haha... i guess im a broke college kid though so i went with the KYB AGX's.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:16 AM
TECH Addict

I would get Konis
Old 12-29-2008, 11:58 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

I want to be clear that I sell all of the above mentioned shock options (and a few others). So my recommendations are never based on what I can sell you but rather what will work best for your needs and use.

Koni's are by far the best. KYB AGX's are a workable solution for lowering springs. Bilstein HD's are not meant to be used for lowering springs. Many folks, do as they are cetainly better than old worn stock shocks on lowering springs... but that's not the valving intent of those shocks.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 12-29-2008, 04:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by lamar
Sams sells the modified Bilsteins, but they are out of my price range at the moment as well.
Just wanted to verify with the OP... you sure you were looking at the right thing? I'm seeing only 425 on the website for the set. That's about the price range of any other available shocks that are halfway decent for our car.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:16 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Just wanted to verify with the OP... you sure you were looking at the right thing? I'm seeing only 425 on the website for the set. That's about the price range of any other available shocks that are halfway decent for our car.
that was my first thought, but i think he might be talking about the bilstein tuned suspension kit for $694. but he should be looking at the strano spec set for $425.
Old 12-30-2008, 01:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

You've got decent springs, unless they are worn out/sagging. Save up for the Konis, I wish I had nutted up for them the first time around.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:29 PM
Teching In

Hello,
I ordered the Bilstein shocks and Hotkis lowering springs from Sam Strano last week. Great customer service and he took the time to put together a combo that would fit my needs based on the info given. Of coarse, I would like to have purchased the koni/strano 4/3 combo, but the combo I ordered will get the job done. ;-)

Thanks again the help fellas.

-lamar