Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Do drilled and slotted rotors help stopping power?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 07:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do drilled and slotted rotors help stopping power?

I recently upgraded my '99 TA from 245's all the way around to 265 up front and 295 in the rear. Well now my car brakes like ****, and it feels like everytime i try and brake, ABS kicks in. I currently have the stock brake set up. If I get new drilled and slotted rotors, and new pads, will this help me?

Last edited by photoman9988; 01-20-2009 at 08:58 PM.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes. the holes and slots help to to run cooler than a normal rotor which help braking

also, the bigger the rotor size, the better they stop too
Old 01-20-2009, 07:53 PM
Launching!

i believe the tires you installed are different heights
Old 01-20-2009, 07:53 PM
Launching!

oh btw, drilled and slotted rotors suck
Old 01-20-2009, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS199CAMAROZ28
oh btw, drilled and slotted rotors suck
I have had drilled rotors up front on my car for 2 1/2 years and they have been fine. They help with heat and gas dissipation under hard braking, thats the purpose of having them.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:12 PM
On The Tree

too much info on this forum puts that theory to shame..
Old 01-20-2009, 08:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednaxela
too much info on this forum puts that theory to shame..
Yea, the new Z06 and ZR1 have drilled rotors just for the hell of of...come on now.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

honestly, unless you get bigger than normal rotors it doesent matter that much about them being drilled and slotted, the pads matter more. I have drilled and slotted rotors but it was more for parking lot candy than actually believing they would be amazing. Ofcourse anything aftermarket is almost definatly better than the stock ones.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

to answer your question....NO they won't make the car stop any faster. It's for appearance reasons ONLY.

There is plenty of info in the sticky and a ton more if you did a quick search. Don't believe the marketing hype.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/3233891-post2.html
Old 01-20-2009, 08:41 PM
Launching!

Does your abs inop or tcs light come on? Im gonna guess its the different tire heights causing the abs to act up and not the breaks themselves.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:57 PM
Staging Lane

My abs used to kick in really easily, My rear tires would try to lock up before my front. Simple solution, put some better pads on the front.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:57 PM
On The Tree

well son of a bitch... can i buy bigger rotors w/o having to get an entire new brake set up such as having to get a C5 set up?

Or actually... If i just buy better, performance oriented pads, would that make a difference?
Old 01-20-2009, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you get good pads on the car itll stop just as well. Only downside is that better pads cause the disc to heat up even more when they can warp even faster than the stock pads. They are known for warping with the stock pads so just imagine a good grabby pad. Thats why many people upgrade to a better disc as well.

I have drilled and slotted rotors but I must say that Ive noticed my Hawk pads work amazing once heated up. Itll stop VERY VERY VERY fast with tons of weight transfer with the new pads.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:29 PM
Teching In

The drilling helps will heat and gas disiaption and the slots keep the glazing off the pads. ie shave them. They also eat pads rapidly. They do help some. But when you heat them up, they syart cracking around the holes and slots. I like them and like he said better pads will help as well. Pros and cons to everything.
Old 01-20-2009, 09:36 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by photoman9988
well son of a bitch... can i buy bigger rotors w/o having to get an entire new brake set up such as having to get a C5 set up?

Or actually... If i just buy better, performance oriented pads, would that make a difference?
Yes you can put C5 12.8" rotors on your car. You just need to buy the C5 conversion Brackets and you will be able to use C5 Rotors and Performance pads for extra stoping power. And while you have them apart you can paint your calipers and make them look real nice

I am in the process of buying some New cross drilled/slotted C5 rotors and the brackets as we speak. I actually just found out the C5 Caliper is basically the same thing as our LS1's and we can do this easy conversion and I just bought new LS1 Rotors
Old 01-20-2009, 09:41 PM
TECH Regular

Drilled and slotted rotors help breaking in an indirect way. They actually lessen breaking due to less surface area than normal rotors. But if you are having problems with heat dissapation and fading then they will help tremendously. I used to rod the **** out of my car around town breaking very quickly from high speeds on the stock rotors. I would get fade but rarely encounter the abs kicking in. I think you have a problem elsewhere.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Aside from any ABS problems you have that might be caused by a different tire height, if you get quality aftermarket rotors (like brembo) and better pads(most people on here like hawk) you will have a lot better braking power and shouldn't have warping problems in most cases. Drilled rotors will start to crack if pushed hard and slotted wear out pads faster.
Old 01-21-2009, 07:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

checkout the the hawk HPS pads, also stay with a blank rotor more surface contact. If you do buy drilled/slotted, dont go cheap.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Its hilarious that so many people STILL say that their slotted/drilled rotors are always better. There is so much info. on this, not only on this forum.
REPLACING THE STOCK DIAMETER ROTORS WITH DRILLED AND/OR SLOTTED ROTORS WILL WORSEN THE NORMAL STOPPING POWER OF YOUR CAR. The slots and/or drill holes lessen the surface area of the rotor. less surface area, less stopping. However, although I am no pro-racer at all, I do believe that in a racing application, a slotted rotor can be better. There is usuallly more surface area with a slotted rotor than a drilled rotor. And the slots would help with heat dispersion under the extreme braking of road racing.
But in a normal, street driven car, changing the blank rotors to a same diameter slotted and/or drilled rotor WILL NOT IMPROVE BRAKING. You will probably NEVER see a real race car, with both slotted and drilled rotors because they have the least surface area of all. Most high end or exotics usually have drilled rotors (corvette, mercedes, etc.) A daily driven street car like an f-body is better off with a quality blank rotor (ie. Brembo) and a quality pad (ie. Hawk performance ceramic or HPS). Upgrading the brake fluid and brake lines will also always help a lot.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:22 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are going to have some many people telling you yes and many people telling you that you are wasting your money. I have had D&S rotors on my F-body for number of years now. Never had any problem out of them. If you are going to do the rotors get some stainless steel lines as well. THe drilled and slotted rotor help heat ecsape the rotor thur the holes adn slots, inturn your braking distance will be a lot better. Just better all around will it help the light go away, I doubt it. I did the LS1 brake up grade on my 96 and the light will kick on sometime while downshifting and applying the brake. Still trying to figure that out.

Quick Reply: Do drilled and slotted rotors help stopping power?