Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

wheel hop by changing tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 07:39 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheel hop by changing tires

so i rotated my tires from front to rear as both sets are directional. when i bought the car it had two different brands of tires on it, since switching the rear has some wheel hop whenever i get on it and the tires want to spin, anyone know whats going on and how to fix the problem?
Old 02-04-2009, 08:24 AM
12 Second Club

If there exactly the same tires then most likley the tire pressure could be off. Maybe your running too much or too little???
Old 02-04-2009, 10:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts

Which two brands of tires?
Which ones are front and rear now?
How much tread left on each?
Check tire pressures? What are they?
Any suspension mods?
Old 02-04-2009, 12:29 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by jmilz28
Which two brands of tires?
Which ones are front and rear now?
How much tread left on each?
Check tire pressures? What are they?
Any suspension mods?
the ones in front are now a set of faldas with about 25% tread on them, they seem to be a little wider than the other set. the other set in back now is a set of fusion zr1s with about 35% tread left and all the tires are at the specification for the tire (33psi) and there are no suspension mods, only replaced shocks over the summer for some OEM ones.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts

You need better tires and better shocks. Those Fuzions are made by firestone, so they're decent. They still have a bit of grip, so they grab and release, grab and release = wheel hop. The Fuldas are crap plus they're more worn = spin. You need to put the better tires on the front for safety/control. Get some new tires.

It doesn't help at all that you put stock shocks on. They suck, even brand new. You need tires and shocks and you will have a new car. On a budget, go for the Bilsteins.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Wheel hop may have been enhanced by the different tires. Though I wouldn't think of it like "Oh these tires suck because they gave me wheel hop, so I should get rid of them". I would never just get rid of the tires, no matter how crappy the traction is especially if I use them for a daily and they were cheap. One solution would be to ease up on the burnouts... but that is probably not an option.

You may want to look into changing a few things that can have an effect on curing wheel hop. Things that have helped people cure wheelhop are better shocks, torque arm, relo brackets, lcas or better lca bushings. There may be more. You could go back to your old tires and end up with wheel hop. Do a search.. you'll find plenty of threads on curing wheel hop.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:08 AM
Man-Crush Warning

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get some LCA's and say goodbye to wheel hop.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:29 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up wheel hop problem

Hello,
What I would recommend looking into is a inexpensive solution for wheel hop which are a set of Lower Control Arm Relocation Brackets. It all depends on what you want to do with your car Budget wise! If you have any questions feel free to contact me and I will be glad to help!
Thanks Again!
Brad
Old 02-05-2009, 10:09 AM
TECH Junkie

hell something as simple and inexpensive as a poly torque arm bushing could help out.

did on my car...although i already had LCAs

Quick Reply: wheel hop by changing tires