Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

CAN some one please suggest a shock,spring combination for me??

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2009, 01:06 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAN some one please suggest a shock,spring combination for me??

its a daily driven trans am,

as far as track wise none this car is completely street and in NJ so you know how fucked up these roads are when you have to send a rim out every month to get refurbished from these bullshit pot holes

i want the front as low as possible maybe sportlines but than again i want a shocl that will work with these too and the back i have the heater hose mod done i would like maybe another inch down

note- no adjustables!

i heard bilstiens arent good with lowereing springs,

but i think that would be a very good combination for me, bilstiens and sportlines any other feedback please?
Old 02-15-2009, 01:55 PM
Launching!

I have Strano springs and I like them very much. Regardless which spring you decide to use, don't skimp on shocks. Fwiw, Koni's SA's work well for me.
Old 02-15-2009, 02:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by WS SIKZ
its a daily driven trans am,

as far as track wise none this car is completely street and in NJ so you know how fucked up these roads are when you have to send a rim out every month to get refurbished from these bullshit pot holes
So ride quality is important?
i want the front as low as possible maybe sportlines but than again i want a shocl that will work with these too and the back i have the heater hose mod done i would like maybe another inch down
FYI, the lower you go the worse the ride will be. Best ride quality will be on stock springs with good shocks (like konis). Sportline springs will provide arguably the worst ride/handling of any manufacturer's spring (not just because they are so low, but because they have a really low spring rate for the drop making you slam into the bump stops harder than you should be).
note- no adjustables!
No adjustable what? No adjustable coil overs? No adjustable shocks?
Adjustable shocks are a great buy because you can adjust to your own liking on comfort and the way the car drives.

i heard bilstiens arent good with lowereing springs,
They are not designed to work with anything but stock springs. So while they work better with stock springs than the stock shocks do (which is saying very little) they still will leave many wanting more with lowering springs (and get worse with time).
Old 02-15-2009, 02:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

I purchased the SLP Tuned package (1/2 Drop and Bilsteins) Rides pretty good but ive got some Strano springs 1.2 going in the front, and Sam already told me the Bilsteins werent the Ideal choice. BUT since I just installed them im going to give a couple years and switch to Koni's.....only because I didnt know.

You know, so you should go with the Koni's for a better ride, and as far as the springs go, if your roads are that bad then maybe you may want to rethink droppin the ride. Hope all goes well
Old 02-16-2009, 05:36 PM
Launching!

yes ride and handling is all i want but i dont want the pain in the *** to adjust them i just want to throw in a good combination and not worry about it, but the front definately has to be low* the back im not too concerned about
Old 02-16-2009, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you go with the sportlines and bilstiens and drive it all the time you'll probably be replacing the shocks in 2 years and be complaining about the ride even more. Super low height and good ride are not compatible because you'll be hard on the bumpstops like JD said.
There are several of us that run the Strano/Koni combo and while it may not be as low as you might want it's ride and handling characteristics are second to none. I'd rather sacrifice some looks for function anyday esp. on some parts that get used 100% of the time.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by WS SIKZ
yes ride and handling is all i want but i dont want the pain in the *** to adjust them i just want to throw in a good combination and not worry about it
I'm sorry but to my knowledge there is no "throw in and go combination" unless you want someone to revalve shocks for you (which may cost near as much as konis, but then you don't get to adjust to your own liking). There is nothing "pain in the ***" about adjusting the shocks, many just do it once (before installing them) and then leave them at that. If not it takes all of 10 minutes top including jacking the car up.

but the front definately has to be low* the back im not too concerned about
How low is "low" for you?
Is this low enough (taken from GMhightech magazine article)
Old 02-17-2009, 12:20 AM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Strano/Koni other than that i'm not sure.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call Sam Strano, he does really well with the street/road course cars.

Quick Reply: CAN some one please suggest a shock,spring combination for me??