Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Rear Axle Shifted?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2009, 03:00 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Axle Shifted?

Last Fall I took my car to a local tire shop (Michael Tire's Plus) where I have a Lifetime Alignment plan. I can get 2 alignments per year so I typically do them in the Fall and Spring as I change from Winter to Summer wheels and tires. Anyway, the last time I got this done I had them line up the rear wheels using adjustable UMI LCA's and adjustable Panhard Bar.

Today I swapped my wheels over myself (air tools dumdumdum), and after the swap I put the rear up on ramps and got under it and looked at the clearance of my 295/35/18's. On the passenger side there is quite a gap between the rubber bumper in the wheel well and the sidewall of the tire. On the Driver side, you could barely slide a piece of paper between them. I can get pics of this specifically tomorrow if need be.

How can I get the center of the rear axle moved to the center of the car?

Here are some pictures taken from the front wheel wells, camera is in similar position for each.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

might have to adjust the PHB again. use a tape measure off the rim to the body and see how off it is
Old 02-25-2009, 07:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SoxXpupPeT
might have to adjust the PHB again. use a tape measure off the rim to the body and see how off it is

I agree...However, make sure that nothing else broke, or worse yet, fell off. Also make sure that the lock nuts on the PHB are tight after you re-center the rear end, so it can't "adjust itself".
Old 02-25-2009, 10:00 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the help guys, gonna get it on the ramps and see what I can do.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:18 AM
Staging Lane

Alright, I don't have a wrench that will fit the nut. I called Tires Plus and told them what was going on. The guy said that if they were to adjust the PHB that it would throw the thrust angle out on the rear axle, that it can't be done because the axle is solid and there is no caster or camber adjustment for the car. He said there was no way to get the driver side rear tire out .25".

Is this guy full of **** or what?
Old 02-25-2009, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With an adjustable PHB you CAN center the axel
Old 02-25-2009, 11:30 AM
Staging Lane

Here are some better pictures...

Old 02-25-2009, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Yes, most def. sounds like a PHB issue. Sounds like the adjusting nuts came loose, it actually happend on my car once and my whole axle had shifted badly. Make sure you measure out from your Rim Lip on Both side up to the fender. easiest way is to use a plum bob, or a piece of string with a wrench or something attached to the end.

once you make your adjustments, make sure that you put loctite on the adj. nuts, because trust me they will come loose other wise, happend to me.

hopefully that helps some.....
Old 02-25-2009, 01:08 PM
Staging Lane

Ha ha, played with the PHB and my axle is lined up about nearly perfectly. Had to eye ball it. I used the tape measure starting from the outer most tread block on my tire to the center of the rear fender and they are both right around 3 and 11/16ths". Looking up from the inside of the tire there is plenty of room from the tire wall to the inner wheel well.

I feel like driving over to the tire shop tomorrow, have them put it on their lift, check it out, and make them apologize for hammering my wheel wells last Fall. Now that I know how to line the PHB up myself, nobody else will be messing with it.

Thank you all for your help!!!
Old 02-25-2009, 02:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hoss 2000 z-28
Alright, I don't have a wrench that will fit the nut. I called Tires Plus and told them what was going on. The guy said that if they were to adjust the PHB that it would throw the thrust angle out on the rear axle, that it can't be done because the axle is solid and there is no caster or camber adjustment for the car. He said there was no way to get the driver side rear tire out .25".

Is this guy full of **** or what?
Yes he is.....

If you center the rear axle in the car, AFTER they've already set the "toe" on the front end, OF COURSE it's going to change the "thrust angle" a little. You center the rear, then tweak the toe on the front end, and it's going to allow them to get the thrust angle to ZERO!! That's what you want, as it means the front and rear are directly in line with one another!

BTW, a couple of 10" crescent wrenches will do the trick for adjustments...
Old 02-25-2009, 02:48 PM
Staging Lane

I went to Home Depot and bought a big crescent wrench, worked like a charm. I am taking it over tomorrow to let them look at it and I'll explain what I did and have them line it up again.

Quick Reply: Rear Axle Shifted?