Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

do i need an adjustable PHB

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 01:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default do i need an adjustable PHB

if I cut 1 to 1.5 coils off the back springs, will I need an adjustable panhard bar? and how much will 1 coil lower my car?
Old 02-25-2009, 03:51 PM
FormerVendor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are changing the height in anyway I would recommend the adjustable panhard bar. This will allow you to recenter the rear end. You can lower the car with out it and still drive the car with no issues. But if you are looking to upgrade the panhard defiantly consider a adjustable item. This will prevent any tire rubbing when running larger tires.

Before you cut the springs did you try the heater hose mod and remove the isolators? I am not a big fan of cut springs..

Hope that helps!
Ryan
Old 02-25-2009, 09:02 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i wouldnt cut the springs. really easy to mess up and also not as stiff as lowering springs. yes, it is a good idea for an adjustable PHB when lowered
Old 02-25-2009, 09:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, cutting springs are a bad idea. The springs are rated for a certain spring load. Cutting them can put increased stress on the remaining coils. Stress they are not rated to handle. I would just buy some lowering springs. I have heard stories of springs punching a hole in the car due to cutting.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Yes!!

From what ive heard,,,anytime you lower a car your going to have to get a adjustable PHB,because the lower you go the more its going to force your rear out to the one side Its like putting your pecker in a vice and cranking that baby down LOL<<LOL LOL MAN!!Im laughing my *** off right now writting this **** LOL I need a life LOL youll see that more of your pecker will come out the other side of the vice as you crank down on it LOL Same thing with lowering you car bud!
Old 02-25-2009, 11:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

^^^^Disturbing
Old 02-25-2009, 11:09 PM
Launching!

Yeah wtf dude! it is a funny/painful picture though
Old 02-26-2009, 12:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i understand what the PHR does but will one coil be enough to NEED it? How much lower will one coil off be? i've never heard of the heater hose mod. i guess i'll look it up. and as far as their being more stress on the remaining coils, that would mean on a launch since there aren't as many coils there they couldn't hold as well and that means the *** would drop down even further. wouldn't this be good for traction?
Old 02-26-2009, 12:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ive heard the cut stock springs work good for traction and ride fine.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slowjoe99
ive heard the cut stock springs work good for traction and ride fine.
From who? My dad has run Dirt/Asphalt Circle as well as drag. And he says cut springs were started back before aftermarket stuff was available and it was dangerous as ****. Imagine this hypothetical situation a spring rated for 600lbs cut 2 coils smaller, That spring is still rated for 600lbs but is short a couple of coils...bad idea.....of course the spring rates are off. I was just using a number out of my head
Old 02-26-2009, 06:38 AM
FormerVendor

i've never heard of the heater hose mod. i guess i'll look it up.
Try the heater hose mod first. Basically what you do is remove the thick rubber isolator the spring sits on. Then take a heater hose, cut it and wrap it around the coil so there is still some rubber between the spring and the car body. This will lower the rear of car I *think* 3/4 to 1".. I am sure there is a link to this someone will post. For the front you can't do this.

Hope that helps!
Ryan
Old 02-26-2009, 12:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have QA1's up front and it's already lowered and the back sits higher than the front and that's bad for launch. I will try the heater hose mod. thanks man!
Old 02-26-2009, 12:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ninjai_ruken
From who? My dad has run Dirt/Asphalt Circle as well as drag. And he says cut springs were started back before aftermarket stuff was available and it was dangerous as ****. Imagine this hypothetical situation a spring rated for 600lbs cut 2 coils smaller, That spring is still rated for 600lbs but is short a couple of coils...bad idea.....of course the spring rates are off. I was just using a number out of my head
I have a friend with cut stock springs and he pulls 1.5 sixty's all day. it's not that uncommon to cut the springs.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:37 PM
FormerVendor

i have QA1's up front and it's already lowered and the back sits higher than the front and that's bad for launch. I will try the heater hose mod. thanks man!
Glad to help! I run the QA1 coil over kit up front and stock springs in the rear as well... you will be happy with the heater hose mod. I like the slight racked look
Old 02-26-2009, 12:52 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

if I cut 1 to 1.5 coils off the back springs, will I need an adjustable panhard bar? and how much will 1 coil lower my car?

If you do the heater hose mod and its not what your looking for we have our rear lowering springs on sale for $79.95 per pair. I will post you a couple pics of cars with our springs installed to give you an idea of the ride height. If you have any questions please give me a call.
Attached Thumbnails do i need an adjustable PHB-bmr_springs_1.jpg   do i need an adjustable PHB-bmr_springs_installed_1.jpg   do i need an adjustable PHB-bmr_drop_2.jpg  
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 02-26-2009, 10:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a friend with cut stock springs and he pulls 1.5 sixty's all day. it's not that uncommon to cut the springs.
I never said people don't do it. But your suspension is something you really do not want to cheap out on. I would not risk damage to my car using cut springs, I would save a bit more cash and get some aftermarket springs with a proper coil to spring rating. Just putting my .2 cents in was all
Old 02-27-2009, 12:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

nothing wrong with that. but since the spring would have less material there it would not be as strong. not being as strong will mean the car will squat more on a launch... which is good for traction. I doubt it'll hit the bump stops but if it does i'm sure it won't be that hard.

Quick Reply: do i need an adjustable PHB