Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2009, 05:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
There is a lot you can do about this.
If you want to know some rates for cut stock springs PM JasonWW:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=28037
Now if you don't like the cut rates you can buy drag coilovers like QA1's and be able to adjust ride height with their given springs (and it will not effect the rate).
Yah I want to eventually get coilovers but it wont happen for a while yet, Im trying to save for a heads/cam setup. Thanks for the help.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cut 1 1/2 coils off of my rear springs. I have QA1 w/ 275# springs in the front. It rides like **** anyways (all rod ended suspension). I have had an Eibach Pro Kit and this rides about the same and scrapes about as much.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went from Intrax lowering springs that rode like **** to cut stock springs. I removed 1.5 off the rears and 1.25 coils of the front using a bandsaw and WD40. Ride height is pretty much where I want it to be (could use less of a drop in the front) and the car rides and handles way better than it did at stock height or with Intrax springs. The reason for that is pretty simple - Intrax lowers the car so much you have hardly any suspension travel left. The rear axle rode on the bumpstops all the time. Ride and handling go to hell when every bump tosses the whole car around. Stock springs are a little on the soft side side but stiffen up nicely with a coil or so removed. They're still not as stiff as they should ideally be at that height but my KYB AGXs seem to like them. That said I still eventually want to step up to strano springs and Koni SAs.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i said traction will be better once LOWERED, not once springs were cut. It doesn't matter what i did with the springs, i was saying that what would be helping, was the lowering.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:47 AM
TECH Resident

That's just the thing. Lowering doesn't help weight transfer because you have less suspension travel plus a stiffer spring. Then if you don't have relocation brackets That is likely to hurt your launch traction as well because the LCAs are angled up. Not a problem really for road racing but it can be a slight issue in drag.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i do have relocation brackets. and it lowers the instant center. that helps traction right?
Old 04-05-2009, 02:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jeep_junkie
I went from Intrax lowering springs that rode like **** to cut stock springs. I removed 1.5 off the rears and 1.25 coils of the front using a bandsaw and WD40. Ride height is pretty much where I want it to be (could use less of a drop in the front) and the car rides and handles way better than it did at stock height or with Intrax springs. The reason for that is pretty simple - Intrax lowers the car so much you have hardly any suspension travel left. The rear axle rode on the bumpstops all the time. Ride and handling go to hell when every bump tosses the whole car around. Stock springs are a little on the soft side side but stiffen up nicely with a coil or so removed. They're still not as stiff as they should ideally be at that height but my KYB AGXs seem to like them. That said I still eventually want to step up to strano springs and Koni SAs.

do you have any pics of the car lowered? Did you keep the rear spring isolators in? If the car rides better than stock this seems like a win win considering it is free. how much did it lower it compared to the intrax?

also why do you say it could use less of a drop in front? tia
Old 04-05-2009, 02:47 PM
12 Second Club

If you lower it in the rear traction is worse unless you use lca relocators and drop the lca's to the lowes hole.
Old 04-05-2009, 03:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by spaz1
If you lower it in the rear traction is worse unless you use lca relocators and drop the lca's to the lowes hole.
yep I know that. while traction isn't a huge concern for me I will be running lca relos
Old 04-05-2009, 08:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by CarolinaCamaro
do you have any pics of the car lowered? Did you keep the rear spring isolators in? If the car rides better than stock this seems like a win win considering it is free. how much did it lower it compared to the intrax?

also why do you say it could use less of a drop in front? tia
Pics can be found in the link in my sig. It's at stock height in the pics with the stock wheels, with Intrax in the pics with the black Z06 wheels, and on cut stock springs with the ADR M-sports.

Cut springs are much shorter than stock springs unloaded, and the rear springs will fall out of place when you jack up the car unless you fabricate limiting straps that prevent the suspension from reaching full droop. For that reason, I chose to leave the rear isolators in, and rigged up cargo straps to serve as limiting straps.

I wouldn't call it a win win situation yet because I still have to try quality lowering springs and shocks like the Strano/Koni combo. But if you already have decent shocks like Bilsteins or KYB AGX, cutting a coil or less off the stock springs really can't hurt. You get a moderate drop and a decently tight ride for next to nothing. If you don't like the results, you can always easily find another spare set of stock springs online or at the junkyard.

Right now the car rides about 1" higher than the intrax springs, but it still sits low enough in the front that the top of the tire is nearly level with the edge of the fender. It doesn't bottom out any more because the upper shock mount is modified to allow for more shock travel, but suspension itself is at the limits of its camber adjustment, and I don't like the pronounced rake either. I plan on replacing the front springs with another set of stockers with only 1 (maybe 3/4) coil chopped off this time.

Last edited by Jeep_junkie; 04-06-2009 at 12:39 AM.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Write up for cutting springs:

1. Get a cutoff wheel.
2. Lay cutoff wheel on work bench.
3. Take Springs out. (Remember... you will need a spring compressor for the fronts.)
4. Lay Springs on work bench.
5. DON"T CUT SPRINGS
6. Install your new lowering springs you purchased. (Don't forget to buy them.)
7. Cut off wheel was unnecessary.
8. Enjoy a cold
Old 04-06-2009, 12:52 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by wabmorgan
Write up for cutting springs:

1. Get a cutoff wheel.
2. Lay cutoff wheel on work bench.
3. Take Springs out. (Remember... you will need a spring compressor for the fronts.)
4. Lay Springs on work bench.
5. DON"T CUT SPRINGS
6. Install your new lowering springs you purchased. (Don't forget to buy them.)
7. Cut off wheel was unnecessary.
8. Enjoy a cold
Yeah that's always an option when you're too scared to trust your own workmanship
Old 04-06-2009, 01:38 AM
12 Second Club

i know that my car has cut consistent 1.90 60 foots with the stock springs/shocks/suspension on street tires, and i know someone who has cut 1.6's with an auto on nitto DR's with SFCs only, so the stock springs seem to work pretty damn well

Quick Reply: cut springs write up!