Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Strano springs with KYB AGX shocks

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 02:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strano springs with KYB AGX shocks

Is anyone running Strano springs with the KYB AGX shocks? I think I'm sold on the Strano springs after reading all of the comments, but it seems like everyone is running the Koni's with them. The KYB's are like half the money and I was wondering if the Koni's were that much better than the KYB's.
Old 03-01-2009, 04:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Why not call up sam and ask him?
Old 03-01-2009, 05:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm running the Stranos with KYB AGX's and it is quite a good setup. I have never run KONI's and I'm sure they are better, but if your not going to be road course racing then do you really need the better handling shocks? I would definitely call Sam Strano he will get you pointed in the right direction and as long as you tell him your needs or expectations he will tell you which shock better suits your application. Mine rides firm but not hard and it handles far better than the stock setup. My vote goes to the KYB's if money is an issue, but if it's not then go for Koni's. All I could afford at the time was the KYB's and I went with them, I can honestly say that I am satisfied with my decision.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:40 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Shocks are as much about ride and impact harshness as handling. FWIW.

I only say this because lately something I hear a lot is "I'm not racing...". Ok, but the car doesn't know that. The shocks have no idea where you are driving, and frankly don't care. They are dampers, and damping a car well or better is as useful on the street (and in ways more so) as when competiting.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!
Old 03-02-2009, 10:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Shocks are as much about ride and impact harshness as handling. FWIW.

I only say this because lately something I hear a lot is "I'm not racing...". Ok, but the car doesn't know that. The shocks have no idea where you are driving, and frankly don't care. They are dampers, and damping a car well or better is as useful on the street (and in ways more so) as when competiting.
So what are you saying Sam?... j/k!

I was going to go with the KYB's but I figured I'll just save up
Old 03-03-2009, 09:26 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm trying to make the same decision too. I can afford the Koni's if I have to but at the same time in the last 2 years I've put less than 1,000 miles on the car. I'm just having a hard time justifying the Koni's but have a hard time not buying the best. I'll be calling Sam up sometime in the next couple of weeks to hopefully point me in the right direction.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:42 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the same boat....I called Sam and ordered up a set of springs.

I was torn on the Koni/KYB issue as well....

His advice was you wouldn't cheap out on the other areas of the car, and he's right. If you have the coin, get the Konis.

My buddy has the Strano/KYB set up on his car and he's very happy with it....

At the current moment, all I can squeeze out is the coin for the KYB set up...I'm going to try and scrape together the xtra cash for the Konis by the time the springs ship. If not, then I'll have to be content with the KYB set up...

For the budget folks, I don't think there's a better set up than the KYB/Stranos.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:57 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 134 Likes on 87 Posts

Really what I meant to say wasn't "you wouldn't", but in a perfect world you shouldn't, and that most don't on much simplier things like headers. Nothing is more critical to a well rounded suspension than the best shocks you can run.

If you can't, that's fine. If you have been in cars wtih AGX's and they made you happy, then ok. In Huggerorange73's case he know folks with both AGX and Koni on my springs. He'd been in he AGX car, but not the Koni car from what I recall--and he should do that before making a decision since he has the opprotunity.

18 SCCA National Championships in house, many more for our customers prove we know our stuff.Talk is cheap, results matter.

Check out our KONI prices, our Master Cylinder Brace, and new Xtracker Hub/wheel bearing upgrade kits!

Quick Reply: Strano springs with KYB AGX shocks