Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

I need some advice on ball joints, tie rods etc..

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 09:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need some advice on ball joints, tie rods etc..

Here's my question. Where can I buy good tie rod ends, upper and lower ball joints, all of the bushings for the upper and lower a arms, and motor and transmission mounts?? My car has 105k miles. It's beyond time to change all of these things.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

MOOG ends and ball joints. Prothane motor mounts, (found on the many vast sponsors) i wouldn't do the tranny mount if you have a mainly street car.....transmits more noise...
Old 03-02-2009, 10:04 PM
On The Tree

Thank you. Do you know a place where they sell things in kits? And road noise is of no concern. I'll just open the cutout and ruin my eardrums even more LOL. I really want to tighten up the front end ya know. I'm getting ready to buy the Koni shocks Sam has for sale. I just want to make sure when I do the shocks I have everything I need so I can put the car up once and get it done over a weekend. I've also got a nice set of BMR lowering springs waiting for me. Damn I can't wait lol. Who knew a 94 Camaro would beg for so much of my money. I don't get tattooed anymore, I drink a lot less than I used to because that green beast likes my money way more than those do lol. So yeah back to my point. Any sites where these items can be bought cheaper in a kit maybe?
Old 03-02-2009, 10:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

don't really know who would sell the rod ends and ball joints in a pkg, but i'm sure some of the sponsors to the right do. there are many that sell motor/tranny mount sets though. byunspeed is a good place to start.....
Old 03-03-2009, 01:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have bought a few Z-71 trucks and not sure yet if it is this way on f-body but they sold several grades of parts for the truck. Make sure you get the HEAVY DUTY/strongest grade for the f-bod if they market that way still. Just a heads up and maybe report back what you find.

Moog makes good Q parts and I have never hsd an issue with them. otherwise....
Old 03-03-2009, 02:26 PM
On The Tree

i think rockauto is a sponsor, i got mine from them
Old 03-03-2009, 02:54 PM
Launching!

Best bet is to just go to the local auto parts store and ask if they carry moog in the parts your looking for...I know advanced auto carries all of that.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

Thanks. I'll just go to advanced and get what I need. And I'll ask them for Moog parts. My car should be happy once I get all that stuff replaced and re-aligned.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

oreileys carrys moog parts
Old 03-04-2009, 12:10 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't get the Moog BJs from O'Reily's. They are oversized and a pain in the ***. I had a hell of a time pressing them in. Almost impossible without latheing them down some.

Get some exact replacement BJs from an alternate source. I know of a source that sells the lowers for 11 dollars and the uppers for 60. I can't name the place as not a sponsor but its a classic industry for sure.
Old 03-04-2009, 05:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
Don't get the Moog BJs from O'Reily's. They are oversized and a pain in the ***. I had a hell of a time pressing them in. Almost impossible without latheing them down some.

Get some exact replacement BJs from an alternate source. I know of a source that sells the lowers for 11 dollars and the uppers for 60. I can't name the place as not a sponsor but its a classic industry for sure.

There's NO WAY in hell, the uppers are $60, and I wouldn't trust my life on a lower that cost $11..............

Also, MOOG ball joints are NOT oversized. They come in ONE size only. They fit VERY TIGHTLY in the lower control arm because they're supposed to! You need a ball joint press to install them, as it's the proper tool for the job.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
There's NO WAY in hell, the uppers are $60, and I wouldn't trust my life on a lower that cost $11..............

Also, MOOG ball joints are NOT oversized. They come in ONE size only. They fit VERY TIGHTLY in the lower control arm because they're supposed to! You need a ball joint press to install them, as it's the proper tool for the job.
Factory style.
Page 12.
$11.00

http://www.classicindustries.com/pdf/C_SEC_J.pdf

The Moog lowers I got from O'Reily's were definitely oversized even if they come in one size only. Maybe they have **** poor QC. I have no idea. I mic'ed them and could hardly get them in. I could get the factory ones back without a breath...(some effort but not a ball busting event).

I had a press rented that was for trucks with a huge bar on it. I thought I was going to pass out pressing those suckers in.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
Factory style.
Page 12.
$11.00

http://www.classicindustries.com/pdf/C_SEC_J.pdf

The Moog lowers I got from O'Reily's were definitely oversized even if they come in one size only. Maybe they have **** poor QC. I have no idea. I mic'ed them and could hardly get them in. I could get the factory ones back without a breath...(some effort but not a ball busting event).

I had a press rented that was for trucks with a huge bar on it. I thought I was going to pass out pressing those suckers in.
I stand somewhat corrected, as I just checked my source for parts. Although lowers can be purchased as cheap as $12, I still wouldn't use one. My life is worth more than that to me. A Moog lower b/j is $25, and that's what I use. The uppers, in the Moog line, are $50, and I find that shocking. It's been several years since I bought any 4th gen b/js, and the prices, especially the uppers, must have gone up a lot.

Raybestos/Spicer lists an "oversized" ball joint. Although I've never heard of such a thing, possibly they were offerd for the 4th gen police cars, that get a lot of abuse, and somehow manage to "open up" the b/j hole in the control arm.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
I stand somewhat corrected, as I just checked my source for parts. Although lowers can be purchased as cheap as $12, I still wouldn't use one. My life is worth more than that to me. A Moog lower b/j is $25, and that's what I use. The uppers, in the Moog line, are $50, and I find that shocking. It's been several years since I bought any 4th gen b/js, and the prices, especially the uppers, must have gone up a lot.

Raybestos/Spicer lists an "oversized" ball joint. Although I've never heard of such a thing, possibly they were offerd for the 4th gen police cars, that get a lot of abuse, and somehow manage to "open up" the b/j hole in the control arm.
You bring up very very valid points. The Moog Ball Joint is better built in many aspects!

That is why I shelled out all the cash for Moog Uppers and Lowers. Can't say I went wrong ---- I don't have more than 20K on them yet.

I just hope they keep making parts for our cars. I am finding many parts are already way over prized or out of stock.

I just priced replacement headlamp housings at over 300 dollars and 250 with my "discount" at the stealership.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

A trick with BJ's is to stick them in the freezer overnight before you install them. The cold contracts the metal and makes them easier to press in.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by LS1Zedder
A trick with BJ's is to stick them in the freezer overnight before you install them. The cold contracts the metal and makes them easier to press in.

Good Point!!

I forgot about that.

Quick Reply: I need some advice on ball joints, tie rods etc..