Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Heres a cheap alternative, Ball joints and tie rods

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 05:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heres a cheap alternative, Ball joints and tie rods

These just came in the mail. The kit included 2 upper ball joints, 2 lower ball joints, 2 inner tie rod ends, 2 outer tie rod ends, polyurethane sway bar endlinks, and all the hardware to mount them. The upper ball joints, lower ball joints, and outer tie rod ends have grease fittings. The whole kit is made out of metal and nothing is plastic. Everything came in a Chasis 1 box and all the pieces except the inner tie rods and upper ball joints have Moog part numbers. The uppers came in the same box as the others and are heavy like the lowers. The inner tie rods were just wrapped but seem to be of the same quality. I bought the whole kit on eBay for $140 shipped from Canada. Seems like quailty pieces for a whole lot less. Will I need that special tool to put the inner rods on?

Last edited by Ryanmgaspard; 03-09-2009 at 05:27 PM.
Old 03-09-2009, 05:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but the tag on the box says, "LABELLED in Canada".....however, more importantly, where were the parts made??
Old 03-09-2009, 05:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Made in CA
Old 03-11-2009, 06:37 PM
On The Tree

pm me where u got this at plz
Old 03-12-2009, 06:49 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryanmgaspard
Made in CA
In that case, "works for me"!!
Old 03-12-2009, 08:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

I was looking at that exact kit last week. The only thing I didn't like was the fact that they are sealed. I'm considering the Addco low friction greasable ball joints... then again, they don't have a complete kit like the one you purchased which looks like a good deal regardless!
Old 03-12-2009, 06:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DRGnFLYZ28
I was looking at that exact kit last week. The only thing I didn't like was the fact that they are sealed. I'm considering the Addco low friction greasable ball joints... then again, they don't have a complete kit like the one you purchased which looks like a good deal regardless!
The one that the OP posted appears to have the lower and upper Ball Joints to have holes for zerk fittings, which are also displayed in the photograph as well.

They appear to be exactly like Moog Chassis parts, which most other "brands" use the exact same things (e.g. TRW, Afco "direct replacement", Napa, and a few others) which exceed the OES quality. The McQuay-Norris/Spicer Chassis brand versions are the ones that were installed from the factory, which are of course sealed (and also distributed among other brands as well).

AFA the low-friction Ball Joints, I do recall that Afco/afabracing does offer those. I have used them before and they're really high quality to articulate in one's hands, however I will say that from my experience, the differences "LF" and the "OE" are nearly undetectable from the driver's seat. YMMV.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:11 PM
10 Second Club

That's a good deal for all of those parts. How long did it take to ship and can you PM the info?
Old 03-12-2009, 09:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Foxxtron
The one that the OP posted appears to have the lower and upper Ball Joints to have holes for zerk fittings, which are also displayed in the photograph as well.

They appear to be exactly like Moog Chassis parts, which most other "brands" use the exact same things (e.g. TRW, Afco "direct replacement", Napa, and a few others) which exceed the OES quality. The McQuay-Norris/Spicer Chassis brand versions are the ones that were installed from the factory, which are of course sealed (and also distributed among other brands as well).

AFA the low-friction Ball Joints, I do recall that Afco/afabracing does offer those. I have used them before and they're really high quality to articulate in one's hands, however I will say that from my experience, the differences "LF" and the "OE" are nearly undetectable from the driver's seat. YMMV.
Upon closer inspection of the kit, it does indeed contain a pin and zerk for both the upper and lower joint. This is a feature that is worth while. As for the "low friction" units, they claim it takes 2 ft lbs to move the stud vs. 50 ft lbs (oem) but I'm not sure how much of a benefit that provides for my weekend driver or even a daily driver for that matter. Thanks for making me look twice at those pics!
Old 03-27-2009, 09:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Hey Ryanmgaspard,

Did you get them installed? Any comments?

I purchased the same exact kit today.
Now to find some good control arm bushings...
Old 03-27-2009, 10:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Shoot, usually inners + outers would cost as much as a new rack (minus deposit). That's a great deal if they last a while. PM me too please, my rack's shot.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I finally got everything installed. The lower ball joints are bigger than the stock style and stick downward a little more which makes the zerk fitting easier to get to. The tie rod ends and uppers went in easy and clean. The bolts for the uppers could be better quality and the sway bar endlinks suck. I split the bushings of them... might have tightened too much but it wasn't on the ground yet. All and all it was a good install and alot cheaper. I have the inner tie rods I didn't use because mine are new if anybody wants them. Got the kit from ebay. Type camaro ball joints and its around $120 for the kit.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I put about 500 miles on the new parts and they hold up fine. I have notice that my steering on highway speeds is a little more sensitive which is a good thing. I got everything aligned and tire wear seems normal and it got rid of my slight vibraton at highway speeds.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

I put about 500 miles on the new parts and they hold up fine. I have notice that my steering on highway speeds is a little more sensitive which is a good thing. I got everything aligned and tire wear seems normal and it got rid of my slight vibraton at highway speeds.
Sounds like everything is tight again... and tight is good
My parts are in route and I hope they are as good as yours have turned out.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:33 PM
11 Second Club

Can you pm me that info?
Old 04-02-2009, 01:12 AM
12 Second Club

My lower ball-joints are trashed, so I might look into this set up. Not bad for all those items collectively, considering what a full set up ball-joints usually goes for.

Thanks for postin'
Old 04-02-2009, 01:19 AM
12 Second Club

Pm pm pm pm pm pleaseeeee
Old 04-06-2009, 09:32 PM
On The Tree

PM me please, tie rods are shot on my car and I might as well do the other stuff too for that price!
Old 04-07-2009, 04:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SmokedOutZ28
Can you pm me that info?
Originally Posted by RaggedRides
My lower ball-joints are trashed, so I might look into this set up. Not bad for all those items collectively, considering what a full set up ball-joints usually goes for.

Thanks for postin'
Originally Posted by Joshiedoom
Pm pm pm pm pm pleaseeeee
Originally Posted by Apoxi
PM me please, tie rods are shot on my car and I might as well do the other stuff too for that price!
PM's sent.

I hope I didn't step on the toes of the OP
Old 04-07-2009, 10:33 AM
12 Second Club

The bolts for the uppers could be better quality and the sway bar endlinks suck.
i put some moog upper balljoints on at work and the bolts sucked as well. So i guess its typical.

Quick Reply: Heres a cheap alternative, Ball joints and tie rods