Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Ride height and all around good set up???

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 01:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ride height and all around good set up???

I have a 2002 SS with the bilstein shocks and whatnot. The *** end of my car sits very low. the front is still like a 4x4.

My goal with the car is to equal everything out and give it a nice stance with normal wheels and tires. Right now it looks like it is lauching at the track all the time.

I was thinking of doing the Gen F QA1 coilover system from Speed inc's site...
http://www.speedinc.com/catagory.cfm...%20/%20Chassis
And probably order it with the 300lb spring. I rarely take the car to the track... it is more of a street car. I might even consider the 325 spring but probably not since i dont want to feel every bump in the road.
My thought is that this system will allow me to drop the front a bit enough to match the rear. Heck i might even raise the rear a bit due to constantly hitting the bump stop due to normal bunps in the road. It hits constantly.

What do you guys think? IMO a $689 is not too bad to give me what i want in terms of ride height. Not to mention that it will give me new shocks on all 4 corners. I called speed inc on this and they confirmed that with this package you get adjustable front coil over shocks and springs and adjustable rear shocks to use with the factory springs.

Last edited by 00Camary; 03-12-2009 at 02:02 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry fixed the huge pic.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Bueller?
Old 03-13-2009, 09:34 AM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep the stock springs and buy yourself a new Konis 4/4 although it looks like your rear springs aren't stock or they have been cut.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bene
Keep the stock springs and buy yourself a new Konis 4/4 although it looks like your rear springs aren't stock or they have been cut.

Nope they are factory springs in the back and never been cut.... I am looking to lower the front and raise the back a bit.... New Koni shocks wont do anything for me.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 00Camary
Nope they are factory springs in the back and never been cut.... I am looking to lower the front and raise the back a bit.... New Koni shocks wont do anything for me.
Konis have a lowering perch in the front for a 3/4" drop, and you can use a heater hose on the rear springs + the stock rubber isolator for a slight raise in the rear.

I was thinking of doing the Gen F QA1 coilover system from Speed inc's site...
http://www.speedinc.com/catagory.cfm...%20/%20Chassis
And probably order it with the 300lb spring. I rarely take the car to the track... it is more of a street car. I might even consider the 325 spring but probably not since i dont want to feel every bump in the road.
My thought is that this system will allow me to drop the front a bit enough to match the rear. Heck i might even raise the rear a bit due to constantly hitting the bump stop due to normal bunps in the road. It hits constantly.

What do you guys think? IMO a $689 is not too bad to give me what i want in terms of ride height. Not to mention that it will give me new shocks on all 4 corners. I called speed inc on this and they confirmed that with this package you get adjustable front coil over shocks and springs and adjustable rear shocks to use with the factory springs.
So it sounds like you are looking for ride quality as well, and not really caring about track times?
My experience with QA1's was a pretty choppy ride that floated at highway speeds(a joke compared to the konis). You may end up liking them but I would at least find someone with them to give you a ride and see.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:56 PM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm telling you this as my personal experience. I just did my Konis 4/4 w/ stock springs. My rear isn't low as yours as I only did was the hose mod.

Overall drop was 3/4-1" w/ stock springs.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

00Camary, i have a setup similar to what you're looking at, i've got QA1 coil-overs all the way around, with single adjustable shocks. i got mine from Spohn a couple of years ago, and in all honesty it is one of my most favorite mods. the car sits low and looks good, and i adjusted the shocks to ride the exact way that i wanted them to. if i ever want to raise the ride high i can do it.
one good thing that i didn't think about when i bought them was that they can be rebuilt. the housing on my moser 12 bolt broke that bent the rods on my shocks, i sent them off to a place in Colorado and for about $20 per shock i had them rebuilt.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want a simple solution, just add a spacer to the rear. You stance is typical of the convertibles with the bilsteins
Old 03-15-2009, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

just get some brm front springs and leave the back alone it will cost you 200 bucks counting the install and it will be level and ride like stock..and have a great stance..keep the stock shocks and enjoy the car..no need for qa1s ifyour not puttin a tire on it and taking it to the track on a regular basis..

Quick Reply: Ride height and all around good set up???