Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Monroe sruts and shocks anyone have these on there ride-

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 09:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monroe sruts and shocks anyone have these on there ride-

I am looking to get new shocks for my 02 trans, but not looking to race or lower. Just want a better ride overall, right now seems harsh. I am looking at Monroe sensa trac, I know there not koni's but I don't want to spend that much. Any one have these and if no any one had any reports on these and our cars. Thanks
Old 03-17-2009, 09:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by steelbird
I am looking to get new shocks for my 02 trans, but not looking to race or lower. Just want a better ride overall, right now seems harsh. I am looking at Monroe sensa trac, I know there not koni's but I don't want to spend that much. Any one have these and if no any one had any reports on these and our cars. Thanks
Monroes are garbage man. How much are you willing to spend on shocks? Maybe 300 to 400?
Old 03-17-2009, 09:15 PM
Teching In

I was looking to spend the most 250,300 , I saw the MOnroe for 224.00 for all.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:27 PM
TECH Junkie

Ride quality is subjective toward ones own opinion. I would steer clear of Monroe's
Old 03-18-2009, 08:59 AM
On The Tree

The SLP Bilsteins can be had at Summit for $325 shipped. A better shock than the Monroe and should be OK with stock springs. I'm on a tight budget too and that's what i did.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:49 PM
Teching In

What kinda of ride on you car do you have with the bilsteins?
Old 03-19-2009, 04:30 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 on the bilsteins. i have them waiting to be put on my car. i work at sears where we sell the monroe struts/shocks. they belong on suv's and light passenger cars, not f bodys. shell out the extra 100 for the bilsteins. you wont regret it.
Old 03-19-2009, 10:36 AM
On The Tree

What kinda of ride on you car do you have with the Bilsteins?
I just got them so haven't put mine on yet either, but enough research has told me they will do allot better than my stock shocks especially on a budget. I'm not looking for Gforce type handling performance. I just want a comfortable ride with better responsiveness than what stock gives me. I also found a cheap set of SLP level 2 springs with little use.

I only mentioned them to you when you said Monroe and I assumed you still have stock shocks on. But you also said "your ride seems harsh". Find out what's on there now and go from there. The Bilsteins are allot better than Monroe's for only a little more money, but there are other options.

Last edited by Alex212; 03-19-2009 at 10:53 AM.
Old 03-24-2009, 12:48 PM
On The Tree

Just my opinion but I cut corners and installed some monroe shocks from Sears on my 87 camaro. This car is lowered with a complete spohn suspension, the problem I was having was at high speeds the front end would rock up and down after hitting a dip in the road. It was not firm at all, horrible actually. Well after I had the monroes installed my handling was even worse than with the stock shocks, the car felt like a damn caprice. I tossed those shocks about a month after, installed some Koni's and haven't looked back. They are cheap junk for a daily driver.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by UTfan01SS
Just my opinion but I cut corners and installed some monroe shocks from Sears on my 87 camaro. This car is lowered with a complete spohn suspension, the problem I was having was at high speeds the front end would rock up and down after hitting a dip in the road. It was not firm at all, horrible actually. Well after I had the monroes installed my handling was even worse than with the stock shocks, the car felt like a damn caprice. I tossed those shocks about a month after, installed some Koni's and haven't looked back. They are cheap junk for a daily driver.
got a friend whose '98 Z ridin' Monroes ..I laughed ..he was like what ya laughing at? Told him get in my rag '94 Z took him down the street and back up a side street that's heaved a little and brought him back him back to his ..he got out and muttered "gotta get konis" .. only have the rears done so far tho
Old 03-24-2009, 08:09 PM
TECH Regular

so is there not anything more reasonably priced that wont fall apart ? Is everyone saying get koni's or wait till you can ? dont waste money on anything else. Im only asking because Im not use to not having options. But if all other options are going to fall apart and not perform as advertise then I guess I will need to wait to get the koni's. Just hate they are so much
Old 03-25-2009, 01:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 904 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by ScrapSilicon
got a friend whose '98 Z ridin' Monroes ..I laughed ..he was like what ya laughing at? Told him get in my rag '94 Z took him down the street and back up a side street that's heaved a little and brought him back him back to his ..he got out and muttered "gotta get konis" .. only have the rears done so far tho
A friend of mine has a 95 Z with monroes and eibachs. He told me how good it handled.

Then I put Strano/Koni's on my Firehawk...
Old 03-25-2009, 03:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

and the monroes will not be that cheap. the fronts alone for my 96 are 300. i think the rears are close to 200. thats why i got the bilsteins

Quick Reply: Monroe sruts and shocks anyone have these on there ride-