Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Suspension theory BMW vs F-body

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ROWDYZ28
I'm sorry but just because this Sam Strano guy might be a suspension GOD doesn't mean every statement he says or posts up to be true. If you homo's think a fbody can be compared to a bmw then you all need a chin check.

Wow, what a closed minded statement. And he didn't say it would be exactly like a BMW but it could get close in many ways.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:47 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

I can't agree completely, some yes but not entirely.

First, having owned both 3rd and 4th gens, the 4th gen is a much stiffer car to start with. It's also got a much better front suspension for camber curve and impact harshness. While the rear is the same on both cars, the front and the structure is not. And to be fair the 3rd gen was designed around 1980, the E36 M3 was designed in the late 80's/early 90's. Aside from the money spent there is a signifcant improvement in design of most things in that time period.

BMW's are in many ways better from the factory. They are a premium car with a price point very different from a Camaro/Firebird. Yes it will take some tuning and parts to improve an f-body.

Again it goes back to what I said before, and what Paul added about the feel a BMW gives. Are you going to make Jennifer Aniston look like Jessica Alba? No, but both are pretty hot. A Camaro is not a BMW. But if what you think of about BMW is composure, handling, taut control without beating you up, yes you can make an F-body a lot, lot more like that with the correct parts. In fact I do it all the time.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 03-26-2009, 03:52 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by TheBlueKnight
Wow, what a closed minded statement. And he didn't say it would be exactly like a BMW but it could get close in many ways.
Oh, don't mind Rowdyz28.. he's not closed minded. He's just ignorant.

Anytime anyone wants to swing by for a ride in my Camaro, that can be arranged. Everytime someone does, they end up buying parts because seeing is believing. There will always be naysayers out there who will prefer to stand on their soapbox proclaiming how they are right without having any experience in the matter they are talking about. And anyone who disagrees must be a nut-hugger. Ingorance is bliss people. I'll let the results speak for themselves, be then comments from folks who has EXPERIENCE in the matter.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:52 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went from a 99 SS with bars, konis, and full road race suspension to a 09 M3. There is no comparison. The confidence and feel you get with the M3 just challenges you to go faster. But my Camaro did improve dramatically with the mods I did to it. Plus a lot of things have changed from a car that was developed in the late 90's to one developed a few years ago
Old 03-26-2009, 03:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Huryk
2) Chassis stiffness - without subframe connectors, F-bodies are very sloppy; much worse with t-tops or as a convertible. BMW engineers their cars to be rigid.
Though some of the 3 series BMWs had some serious issues like the subframe ripping problem. I remember being concerned about control arm bushings that commonly wore out when searching for an E46. It's on their official "Inspection #2" to check this... maybe #1 as well, I forget. BMW shock valving is top notch. So while their rigid, they certainly have some reliability issues. I would say more than the Camaro. That being said, I'm a huge BMW fan
Old 03-26-2009, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Though some of the 3 series BMWs had some serious issues like the subframe ripping problem. I remember being concerned about control arm bushings that commonly wore out when searching for an E46. It's on their official "Inspection #2" to check this... maybe #1 as well, I forget. BMW shock valving is top notch. So while their rigid, they certainly have some reliability issues. I would say more than the Camaro. That being said, I'm a huge BMW fan
E46 is old news. We are in the E90/E92/E93 era.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Urban Legend
The confidence and feel you get with the M3 just challenges you to go faster.
That is a good point. The overall handling of the BMW does make it a lot easier to drive in my opinion at the limit and does inspire confidence.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I've been a thirdgen owner for over 20 years (had 3 of them) and had a 1997 M3 for a while, so I want to throw in my 2 cents here.

Analysis:
BMW has several distinct advantages over a typical F-body:

3) Weight distribution - BMWs are all 50/50 or very close. GM just stuck a big honkin iron V8 on the front axle and let the distribution end up where it did. Of course you can take weight off the front end - but why was it there in the first place.
I guess you probably don't know since your last f-body was a 3rd gen but f-bodies from 98 up have the LS1 which has aluminum block and heads.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Are you going to make Jennifer Aniston look like Jessica Alba? No, but both are pretty hot.
I have to put Jen above Jess. Though I might be in the minority here as well, like with the stock ride height preference.
Old 03-26-2009, 04:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Urban Legend
E46 is old news. We are in the E90/E92/E93 era.
Yes. Welcome to the new world of heavy-*** sports cars where weight is no longer a factor

Cars seem to be gaining almost as much weight as our fast food eating population.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:16 PM

Yes. Welcome to the new world of heavy-*** sports cars where weight is no longer a factor

Cars seem to be gaining almost as much weight as our fast food eating population.
Its not that heavy compared to 5000 lbs big body benzes. I am still in the 3600 lbs region. It could be lighter but all the air bags and safety crap adds weight quick.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:27 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I don't know if an '09 M3 is as fair a comparison as a '95 M3 simply because there have been no f-bodies over that time. An E36 is a contemporary of a 4th gen. A brand-new '09 is not--at all. I'm sure a 2010 Camaro will be a huge improvement over a 4th gen too, because time marches on. That's how it is.
Old 03-26-2009, 06:32 PM

I don't know if an '09 M3 is as fair a comparison as a '95 M3 simply because there have been no f-bodies over that time. An E36 is a contemporary of a 4th gen. A brand-new '09 is not--at all. I'm sure a 2010 Camaro will be a huge improvement over a 4th gen too, because time marches on. That's how it is.
I am with u.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's some interesting information, I know the guys over at hotchkis suspension and was talking with the cheif engineer... he has a 2000 SS camaro with everything hotchkis makes on it with koni shocks. John hotchkis drive a SICKKK new (not the NEW NEW just the new. know what I mean? maybe an 06ish ???) m3 thats all red and silver, with their kit on it, (i forget everything it adds) but anyways, I was talking with the two of them and i guess John likes the way the camaro handles better than his new M3. He just said its a lot more responsive, yea it took WAAAYYY more modifications to get to that level, but thats definitely a compliment to our f-bodies

Last edited by KILLER-LS1; 03-26-2009 at 09:05 PM. Reason: oops
Old 03-26-2009, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by KILLER-LS1
Here's some interesting information, I know the guys over at hotchkis suspension and was talking with the cheif engineer... he has a 2000 SS camaro with everything hotchkis makes on it with koni shocks. John hotchkis drive a SICKKK new (not the NEW NEW just the new. know what I mean? maybe an 06ish ???) m3 thats all red and silver, with their kit on it, (i forget everything it adds) but anyways, I was talking with the two of them and i guess John likes the way the camaro handles better than his new M3. He just said its a lot more responsive, yea it took WAAAYYY more modifications to get to that level, but thats definitely a compliment to our f-bodies
Nice compliment for sure!
Old 03-27-2009, 08:50 AM
TECH Junkie

I can picture the 5th gen Camaro having a better factory suspension if it's coming from the G8 platform. But in autox, do you really think the Camaro SS is going to compete with the 4th gen or 3rd gen with that extra 500 lbs? I don't see how the Camaro SS will be competitive in FS against the lighter Mustangs and earlier gen fbodies.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:30 PM
On The Tree

I can picture the 5th gen Camaro having a better factory suspension if it's coming from the G8 platform. But in autox, do you really think the Camaro SS is going to compete with the 4th gen or 3rd gen with that extra 500 lbs? I don't see how the Camaro SS will be competitive in FS against the lighter Mustangs and earlier gen fbodies.
I'm looking forward to seeing the answer to this one. I have no doubt that the 5th gen rides a lot better than a fourth gen but (on paper anyway) it seems that the extra weight and tire options will keep it from being competitive. I'll admit I don't do anything other than regional events, but it doesn't seem like the GTO (with its superior) IRS was able to get anywhere; and I haven't heard anything about the Zeta platform cars that are already out doing much either.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by wicknewman
I guess you probably don't know since your last f-body was a 3rd gen but f-bodies from 98 up have the LS1 which has aluminum block and heads.
True, but the average 4th gen car still has a similar front to rear weight bias even with a 150lb motor weight advantage. Swapping an LS1 into a thirdgen eliminates most of the front wheel weight bias, not to mention the power advantage over the TPI engines.

I'm torn about the 5th gen cars - too big, too heavy, aero doesn't look all that good, and probably can't stick a big enough tire underneath it. But when you compare it to the Challenger and Mustang, it will be competitive head to head. I think it is embarassing that Detroit's pony cars get bigger and heavier, yet the Nissan 370Z is lighter than it's predecessor - obviously faster in all ways too. Why can't GM just build a 3300lb f-body with cutting edge aero, 425hp LS3, bulletproof brakes, good riding suspension, and a killer interior for $40K - I would buy one in a heartbeat. Instead I want to buy older F-bodies and mod them myself.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

True, but the average 4th gen car still has a similar front to rear weight bias even with a 150lb motor weight advantage. Swapping an LS1 into a thirdgen eliminates most of the front wheel weight bias, not to mention the power advantage over the TPI engines.

I'm torn about the 5th gen cars - too big, too heavy, aero doesn't look all that good, and probably can't stick a big enough tire underneath it. But when you compare it to the Challenger and Mustang, it will be competitive head to head. I think it is embarassing that Detroit's pony cars get bigger and heavier, yet the Nissan 370Z is lighter than it's predecessor - obviously faster in all ways too. Why can't GM just build a 3300lb f-body with cutting edge aero, 425hp LS3, bulletproof brakes, good riding suspension, and a killer interior for $40K - I would buy one in a heartbeat. Instead I want to buy older F-bodies and mod them myself.
^^^ Due to safety regulations....the 5th gen. was suppose to be lower then it is, but the Australian regulations wouldn't allow for it. Unfortunatly, when a car is made today, they have to think global and not just the US.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sam Strano F____n ROCKS! Our Fbody cars don't have to ride like BMWs to kick the $hizzit out of them... but Sam brings 'em damn close. Respect that, and the fact that Sam supports our crowd with his expertise. BMWs pack weak *** front springs because they don't pack the 400+hp LS engines that we have over our front wheels.
We all need to come to the painful realization that our Fbody cars are not the fine precision surgical cutting tools that BMWs are. lol They are heavy blunt melee weapons. They hit hard and leave marks. We might not win every time, but the other bastard's definately gonna know he's been in a fight. hahaha

Last edited by 108dragon; 03-28-2009 at 12:45 PM. Reason: spelling error

Quick Reply: Suspension theory BMW vs F-body