Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Suspension theory BMW vs F-body

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2009, 12:50 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 108dragon
BMWs pack weak *** front springs because they don't pack the 400+hp LS engines that we have over our front wheels.
Really? Last time I check I am "packing" a 4.0 liter 414 hp V8 that revs to 8400 rpm stock.
Old 03-28-2009, 02:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Urban Legend
Really? Last time I check I am "packing" a 4.0 liter 414 hp V8 that revs to 8400 rpm stock.
Like I said, MIGHT not win every time, but your *** will DEFINITELY know you been in a fight! hahaha
Old 03-28-2009, 03:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you forget about the procharged ss in your sig. lol.
Old 03-28-2009, 07:59 PM
11 Second Club

Couple questions.....

My current suspension mods are:
UMI rear control arms
UMI panhard bar
UMI 2pt subframe connectors
Spohn solid c.m. 32mm front bar
Strano hollow 22mm rear bar

Now for the 2 questions......

1. What is the difference between the Strano Bilstein shocks, the SLP Bilstein shocks, and the HD Bilstein shocks? Which ones are best for stock 1998 ws6 springs and the mods I have??

2. I am still on stock de carbon front shocks and the rear has some shocks i never heard of on there called sensatrak(not sure if those are any good). I dont think my car rides good at all right now. It handles great in the turns.... way better than when I got it.... but bumps are still pretty harsh. If I got one of the Bilstein setups would the car ride even worse since they are stiffer or would it ride better since they are higher quality shocks?
Old 03-28-2009, 09:24 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

Dude, you should have started your own thread rather than hijacking this one, but ...

Stranos and SLPs are all Bilstein HD shocks. The difference is in the valving. Particularly, Strano uses a different rear shock than other Bilstein vendors with less compression and more rebound valving; i.e., less impact harshness and better control.

Your car will ride incredibly better with Bilsteins - especially the Strano set-up.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:42 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dondb
^^^ Due to safety regulations....the 5th gen. was suppose to be lower then it is, but the Australian regulations wouldn't allow for it. Unfortunatly, when a car is made today, they have to think global and not just the US.
So Australia tells everyone that a car like the Camaro needs to be 58" tall or something like a crossover SUV - rediculous.

What's the next thing - dark colored cars being outlawed in CA - well that happened already...
Old 03-29-2009, 01:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Dude, you should have started your own thread rather than hijacking this one, but ...

Stranos and SLPs are all Bilstein HD shocks. The difference is in the valving. Particularly, Strano uses a different rear shock than other Bilstein vendors with less compression and more rebound valving; i.e., less impact harshness and better control.

Your car will ride incredibly better with Bilsteins - especially the Strano set-up.
There have been a lot of posts NOT recommending the Bilstein shocks for lowered applications on our cars. I wonder if someone here would mind clearing that up...
...question seems to go along with the thread's content.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:59 PM
Pontiacerator

Yes, Sam Strano uploaded a page from the Bilstein catalog on here a long time ago that clearly stated that HD's are not for use with lowering springs. His own experience with them has indicated that they're not adequate for higher rate springs.

That being said, I have them on the front of my M6 car with 1" cut stock springs and they work fine. The car rides and handles very nicely - even BMW-like. But 1" cut stock springs have a very low rate compared to most aftermarket lowering springs.

In fact, speaking of "BMW-like" ride, I think Bilsteins are closer than Konis because they're softer on the bumps. But that would be more like standard models (330ci) rather than hi-po (M3).
Old 03-29-2009, 04:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yes, Sam Strano uploaded a page from the Bilstein catalog on here a long time ago that clearly stated that HD's are not for use with lowering springs. His own experience with them has indicated that they're not adequate for higher rate springs.

That being said, I have them on the front of my M6 car with 1" cut stock springs and they work fine. The car rides and handles very nicely - even BMW-like. But 1" cut stock springs have a very low rate compared to most aftermarket lowering springs.

In fact, speaking of "BMW-like" ride, I think Bilsteins are closer than Konis because they're softer on the bumps. But that would be more like standard models (330ci) rather than hi-po (M3).
What made you decide to cut your stock springs rather than go with purpose built aftermarket lowering springs? Is the ride similar to stock but the 1" lowering being the only difference? How is the body roll in turns with the cut springs?
Old 03-29-2009, 07:23 PM
11 Second Club

lol my bad.... i just figured my questions were kinda on the theme of getting the ride to a bmw type feel....... less harshness
Old 03-29-2009, 09:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

I guess I also need to qualify my statement by saying that I meant weight wise.
Old 03-29-2009, 09:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I guess I also need to qualify my statement by saying that I meant weight wise.
Both the 6 cylinder and V8 BMW engines are as heavy/heavier than the LSx's. (thats part of the beauty of pushrods...)
Old 03-29-2009, 09:16 PM
Pontiacerator

What made you decide to cut your stock springs rather than go with purpose built aftermarket lowering springs? Is the ride similar to stock but the 1" lowering being the only difference? How is the body roll in turns with the cut springs?
Basically being cheap and not wanting the increased firmness that comes with high spring rates. Plus I replaced my Bilsteins on my A4 car with Konis on the lower perch and I was surprised by how much greater the impact harshness was.

1" cut springs are at 330 lbs. (per Jason WW). That's less than a factory 1LE spring - and in range for Bilsteins.

The ride is firmer than at stock height, but less harsh than with Konis on the lower perch. There is a little bit less body roll from the lower center of gravity.

I agree that if you're running lowering springs with some serious rate, Konis are truly your best option.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Both the 6 cylinder and V8 BMW engines are as heavy/heavier than the LSx's. (thats part of the beauty of pushrods...)
Ok.. I guess I stand corrected and owe the BMW guys here an apology. If the weight and and power figures are pretty comparable, than why are the BMW springs not higher rate? ..especially on thier high performance models?
Old 03-30-2009, 01:03 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Elliott's94Z
Not to be a ***, but whomever wants their F-body to drive/feel/handle like a BMW is driving the wrong car to begin with. It will never happen. In one corner you've got a Muscle car and in the other a Sports car...BIG difference.
have been reading this post with great interest as i'm getting ready to make some suspension changes shortly on the '98 ...will definitely contact the 'suspension god'....

....not to bash BMW, but.....they have 4 doors and look like a 'box'...jmho
Old 03-30-2009, 01:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rs94z28
have been reading this post with great interest as i'm getting ready to make some suspension changes shortly on the '98 ...will definitely contact the 'suspension god'....

....not to bash BMW, but.....they have 4 doors and look like a 'box'...jmho
Urban Legend, does your M3 have 4 doors and look like a box?
Old 03-30-2009, 02:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Though some of the 3 series BMWs had some serious issues like the subframe ripping problem. I remember being concerned about control arm bushings that commonly wore out when searching for an E46. It's on their official "Inspection #2" to check this... maybe #1 as well, I forget. BMW shock valving is top notch. So while their rigid, they certainly have some reliability issues. I would say more than the Camaro. That being said, I'm a huge BMW fan
I think this goes to a big point about the difference: accepted maintenance. BMW goes out of their way to design for more performance, at the cost of part life and cost. This includes suspension. The intended use of an fbody LCA bushing and a BMW LCA bushing are different (in fact, on my X5, the entire "control arm" is replaced, not just the bushing). GM designed theirs to go 100k miles and deliver acceptable performance for that time period. BMW designs theirs for much less mileage, with an anticipated performance increase, which is hard to argue with as they usually achieve it.

I have noticed this in all aspects of BMW design, from brakes and suspension to their PCV systems. They deliberately choose shorter part life in favor of more performance for that reduced amount of time, and they anticipate that their customers will accept this without question. In reality though, they tend to only do that when they are in warranty.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by wht01ws6ta
Urban Legend, does your M3 have 4 doors and look like a box?
It does.

Old 03-30-2009, 04:26 PM

And the heavy *** V8:
Old 03-30-2009, 04:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

And the heavy *** V8:
Well... the cover is pretty....

Quick Reply: Suspension theory BMW vs F-body