Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

ATE PremiumOne Rotors--Free shipping on full sets through 4/30

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 07:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Slotted only, ATE does not do them in blanks at all.

LS1 front/LT1 rear set would be $315 and also subject to free shipping through the 30th.
I asked, but the Czars of CMC said "no" to the slot.

Too bad, too.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

got mine last week, they look great though i wasnt expecting the "made in china" label. of course what isnt anymore?
Old 04-18-2009, 02:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 898 Likes on 640 Posts

Can these be "turned" like a blank rotor?

I am going to assume that the quality of the rotor would resist warpage more so than a cheaper rotor. How deep are the slots? Could you turn them and the slots still be there?
Old 04-18-2009, 01:37 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Many don't turn rotors anymore anyway. If you warp a rotor, turning it trues it for a while but you're left with an even thinner rotor that warped when it was thicker. It'll happen again.. and the cost of turning isn't all that cheap anyway, and it's rarely recommended these days except by shops who make money turning them.

Someone might turn them, but generally not because the bit can be snagged in the slot. Up to the shop I suppose.

The slots are shallow, they only are cut down to the rotors's minimum wear depth. When the rotor is in need of replacment from wear, the slots wear away.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 04-28-2009, 11:45 AM
TECH Junkie

ordered mine today....

now i just need to find a write up on how to change the brakes. i figure its pretty straight forward, but i keep reading about "change this pin, grease that pin, change that boot, tighten to 3759ft-lbs, replace this bolt"...etc.

what happened to swap pads, swap rotors...bleed brakes...done
Old 04-28-2009, 07:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by teke184
ordered mine today....

now i just need to find a write up on how to change the brakes. i figure its pretty straight forward, but i keep reading about "change this pin, grease that pin, change that boot, tighten to 3759ft-lbs, replace this bolt"...etc.

what happened to swap pads, swap rotors...bleed brakes...done
Yea I keep meaning to do a write up on brake changes. Seems like one of the most common asked questions in this forum. I'll get to it some day....
Old 04-28-2009, 08:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 197 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Major_Lee_Slow
Yea I keep meaning to do a write up on brake changes. Seems like one of the most common asked questions in this forum. I'll get to it some day....
Are you kidding? Install Uni has had one for a while, infact Mitchntx wrote it. Just point 'em there.

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...ds_mwarren.htm

Last edited by lees02WS6; 04-28-2009 at 08:30 PM.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:41 PM
TECH Junkie

but that doesn't cover any of those "pins, bolts, boots..etc" that have been discussed.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:58 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mitchntx
98+ fronts and 93-97 rears?

Available in blanks or grooved only?

that's what I'm running

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Can these be "turned" like a blank rotor?

I am going to assume that the quality of the rotor would resist warpage more so than a cheaper rotor. How deep are the slots? Could you turn them and the slots still be there?
IIRC the directions say they are not to be turned...
Old 04-28-2009, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

but that doesn't cover any of those "pins, bolts, boots..etc" that have been discussed.
Yeah well, if after reading Mitch's copious documentation on the subject or a haynes manual, someone still can't figure it out, maybe they ought to just take it to a shop.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lees02WS6
Yeah well, if after reading Mitch's copious documentation on the subject or a haynes manual, someone still can't figure it out, maybe they ought to just take it to a shop.
If you can't just look at the brakes, and look at a list of torque specs...you should be taking it to a shop.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:23 PM
TECH Junkie

kindda tough to look at the brakes when the car is still on the ground with rims on it.

i'd just like to know what i'm in for BEFORE i tear it apart.

i'm not exactly in a big city...i'm on an island 85 miles in the gulf of mexico....sometimes parts are hard to come by.

and i've managed to do 90% of my boltons without a manual....due to people helping out...UNLIKE what you've posted.

anyway...
i'm just doing my research....rotors are on ordeer.
Old 04-28-2009, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

kindda tough to look at the brakes when the car is still on the ground with rims on it.

i'd just like to know what i'm in for BEFORE i tear it apart.

i'm not exactly in a big city...i'm on an island 85 miles in the gulf of mexico....sometimes parts are hard to come by.

and i've managed to do 90% of my boltons without a manual....due to people helping out...UNLIKE what you've posted.

anyway...
i'm just doing my research....rotors are on ordeer.

Based on your signature, and the amount of posts you have I assumed you had done brakes many times, and the question you asked was because other people had been posting similar questions over and over, and you were tired of hearing it.

To answer your question, every detail of the job is on that page with the exception of bleeding the brakes.

You shouldn't need to change the boots on the pad abutment brackets unless they're torn or dried out. The boots are what the guide pin bolts (what holds the caliper in place over the pad bracket) screw in to.

All you need are the tools listed at the top of Mitch's instructions. Any replacement parts, such as guide pins, bolts, springs, chatter clips, etc can be had at napa.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:55 AM
TECH Junkie

gotcha...

actually i've only done brakes once...at least pads....and it was on a beater so all i did was swap pads and turn the rotors.
Old 04-30-2009, 08:59 AM
Launching!

gotcha...

actually i've only done brakes once...at least pads....and it was on a beater so all i did was swap pads and turn the rotors.
you'll be fine, and if you run into any trouble just post it up or do a search

a little fyi.....make sure you open the brake reservior and use a c-clamp and a small block of wood to push the caliper pistons back because the rotors are thick
Old 05-01-2009, 04:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NebWS6
you'll be fine, and if you run into any trouble just post it up or do a search

a little fyi.....make sure you open the brake reservior and use a c-clamp and a small block of wood to push the caliper pistons back because the rotors are thick
i just use the old brake pads...put the two rotor-facing sides of the pads together and use that in place of a block of wood....just make sure you have a c-clamp that will go over both pads & the caliper at the same time

oh, and btw, these rotors are working great...i got these and some Duralast Gold ceramic pads from VatoZone, and it's never stopped better, and all with absolutely zero vibration, too!
Old 05-01-2009, 06:55 AM
TECH Junkie

yeah i know about the C-clamp stuff..

thanks guys...
Old 08-17-2009, 12:24 PM
TECH Junkie

finally got around to installing the rotors and hawk hp pads:

rears:

fronts:

working

did the suggested break-in for the pads on the way home. never a squeal or vibration. significantly firmer pedal, and notably quicker stops. did a few hard stops from 55 and it pulled the car right down to 10mph QUICK.

one of these days...when the tools aren't in the trunk...i'll try an emergancy simulation from a good speed...see how well the ABS works.
put another 60 miles on them that nite and they performed well.

only thing i noticed is the pads seem to have left some black residue on the rotors. not sure if that's normal.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:48 PM
TECH Resident

is it mainly in the grooves? Its probably just brake dust I have that too. when it rains or you wash your car it will turn to rust then the grooves will turn black again after you drive some. I have the hps and ate slotted rotors.

Today was the first real down poor I've been caught in since I installed them in Jan. They didn't seem as grippy as usual in the rain, but they grip like hell when its dry. I can't wait to put on some stickier tires to really test them.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:33 PM
TECH Junkie

it seems to be on the rotor face....i'd have to look to see what they look like now that i've put 100miles on them.

Quick Reply: ATE PremiumOne Rotors--Free shipping on full sets through 4/30