Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

For those who have the C5 brake upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 03:00 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no one?

do the c-5 brakes grab more. like i know they do. but can you feel it. also if you put like the cts-v brakes on(brembo 4 piston) will it grad harder. like normally there is a split betwwent he front and the back. like 60 40 or what ever it is. when you put the bigger brakes on does it change the split. to like 75 25? thanks
Old 04-20-2009, 03:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

c5 and ls1 brakes have about the same grab on the first 60-0 stop. its the multiple stopping that does it. the ls1 brakes tend to flex when really hot and the c5 calipers will not. the rotors will make it to where they do not warp as easily. if you want more grab go with something else.
Old 04-20-2009, 06:17 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Fact is, you can only brake as quick as your tires can hold traction. Just like acceleration, braking is reliant on good tires until your abs kicks in.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:13 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by why me
no one?

do the c-5 brakes grab more. like i know they do. but can you feel it. also if you put like the cts-v brakes on(brembo 4 piston) will it grad harder. like normally there is a split betwwent he front and the back. like 60 40 or what ever it is. when you put the bigger brakes on does it change the split. to like 75 25? thanks
If youre talking about brake bias, then yes, the C5 kit is supposed to shift the bias towards the front and prevent locking the rear wheels on hard braking as easily.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
I have a pair of the original Bishop brackets but
never got around to accumulating all the other
brake-swap pieces. Those suckers are some heavy
iron, unsprung weight. If I was a pay-retail kind
of guy I'd look seriously at aluminum ones.
Bob started using aluminum after a while. I have some of his aluminum brackets.

Originally Posted by sroach20
c5 and ls1 brakes have about the same grab on the first 60-0 stop. its the multiple stopping that does it. the ls1 brakes tend to flex when really hot and the c5 calipers will not. the rotors will make it to where they do not warp as easily. if you want more grab go with something else.

This seems to be what most people are missing. Unless you swap to a pad with a MUCH larger surface area, the brakes won't really grab that much harder than stock on the first stop. Multiple piston calipers allow for less pad taper and larger pads. The more you are on the brakes, the hotter they get. Larger diameter rotors disperse heat better, improving "hot" braking.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Fact is, you can only brake as quick as your tires can hold traction. Just like acceleration, braking is reliant on good tires until your abs kicks in.
THIS is the big thing that people are missing, you're maximum braking is determined by your tires and suspension (how much weight is transferred forward) you dont want too much weight transferred since then you're more prone to the rear locking up...which is not good...but in summary its the tires that affect shortest breaking. What you're gaining with bigger calipers and rotors is heat fade resistance. Sure i can get my tiny *** LT1 calipers to lock up the tires and it is true that me and an LS1 car can go from 60-0 in the same distance (assuming identical tires, suspension, etc.) THE FIRST TIME...now guarantee you if we were to "hot lap the test" the LS1 would be FAR superior every test afterwards. Essentially if you can lock up the tires, you are at maximum braking force applicable, its after that first hard corner that the bigger stuff shines through supreme.
Old 04-20-2009, 10:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by zlover129
THIS is the big thing that people are missing, you're maximum braking is determined by your tires and suspension (how much weight is transferred forward) you dont want too much weight transferred since then you're more prone to the rear locking up...which is not good...but in summary its the tires that affect shortest breaking. What you're gaining with bigger calipers and rotors is heat fade resistance. Sure i can get my tiny *** LT1 calipers to lock up the tires and it is true that me and an LS1 car can go from 60-0 in the same distance (assuming identical tires, suspension, etc.) THE FIRST TIME...now guarantee you if we were to "hot lap the test" the LS1 would be FAR superior every test afterwards. Essentially if you can lock up the tires, you are at maximum braking force applicable, its after that first hard corner that the bigger stuff shines through supreme.
dont have to worry about that crap, ive got a big anchor i throw out the window if i have to stop fast.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 898 Likes on 640 Posts

I appreciate all the replies in this thread. I will add this to the rest of the mods I want to do to my car this spring.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:43 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 02NBMWS6
If youre talking about brake bias, then yes, the C5 kit is supposed to shift the bias towards the front and prevent locking the rear wheels on hard braking as easily.
From what i understand the piston in the C5 caliper is actually smaller than the f-body one which actually shifts the bias rearward, add that to the bigger pad and rotor and it probably brings the bias back towards the front a little. Maybe we break even. Correct me if i'm wrong somebody.

It makes sense that the C5 calipers would have smaller pistons in the front since their f/r weight bias is closer to the center of the car than ours.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by spy2520
From what i understand the piston in the C5 caliper is actually smaller than the f-body one which actually shifts the bias rearward, add that to the bigger pad and rotor and it probably brings the bias back towards the front a little. Maybe we break even. Correct me if i'm wrong somebody.

It makes sense that the C5 calipers would have smaller pistons in the front since their f/r weight bias is closer to the center of the car than ours.
The C5 piston is smaller. But that is because the rotor is 1" larger in diameter. That combo keeps your balance in check.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

I had a link to a thread where someone was using the vette calipers on the rear. The link doesn't work anymore. All I remember is you had to use certain clips but that's all.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
I had a link to a thread where someone was using the vette calipers on the rear. The link doesn't work anymore. All I remember is you had to use certain clips but that's all.
This would totally screw up your bias. It might be decent if you had a HUGE setup in the front. There was a guy on the corvette forums that did this. Huge bbk up front, and stock fronts in the rear. Just because it CAN be done, doesn't me it SHOULD be done.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

That makes sense. I was more thinking that the rear calipers would match the fronts thats all.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:52 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by fast377
The C5 piston is smaller. But that is because the rotor is 1" larger in diameter. That combo keeps your balance in check.
I had a feeling that was the case, we do break even, sounds good to me.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by sroach20
dont have to worry about that crap, ive got a big anchor i throw out the window if i have to stop fast.
All the more reason to date a fat chick...just tigh a line to her instead and kick her *** out
Old 04-25-2009, 09:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

I found the thread on the rears.

It's an old thread and really doesn't say that much.

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showthread.php?t=364817
Old 06-14-2009, 11:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Can you use the f body calipers with the vette upgrade kit? The reason I am asking if I can get the bigger rotor and the bigger pad now since I need a brake job then get the calipers later on because they are the biggest cost of the swap.

Thanks.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Night and day difference. I just installed my C5 brake kit yesterday (after 2 years wait) and went on a cruise today. It stops at a dime. You can get a used C5 front caliper for about $100-150.

You guys might also wanna consider the CTS-v brake upgrade, more expensive but more effective.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Does anyone make conversion brackets for the rear? I would like to put C5 calipers,rotors, and pads on the rear .
Old 07-28-2009, 05:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

There is no difference for the rears. You can use the calipers but not the rotors. Then you use the vette pads and the vette clips. There is really no difference in performance or looks of the vette calipers. I was going to do the same thing but have since changed my mind.

Quick Reply: For those who have the C5 brake upgrade