Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Best rotors and pads with stock calipers??

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 05:55 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

I've never had a set of HPS's make any noise. Ironically the Ceramics I have on my daily driver do squeal (the LF anyway). But HPS's have been historically very quiet, and stop quite well--even if they don't have the absolute most outright power. They have plenty for most uses (including mine) and are workable when cold and don't make a huge mess or noise.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 04-21-2009, 06:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 524 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
I've never had a set of HPS's make any noise. Ironically the Ceramics I have on my daily driver do squeal (the LF anyway). But HPS's have been historically very quiet, and stop quite well--even if they don't have the absolute most outright power. They have plenty for most uses (including mine) and are workable when cold and don't make a huge mess or noise.
Do you know if the HPS's produce less dust than the EBC Green's? I have the greens now and im not super impressed either and they dust like hell. A little noise dosen't bother me but excessive dust does, I accept that there will be dust, but this is rediculous.

Im using Raybestos ATD ceramic's on the rear and my rear wheels seem to always be clean, the fronts look like **** after just a few days and I do mostly highway. Just dont think the Raybestos ATD fronts will be enough bite for me?
Old 04-21-2009, 07:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
I have the greens now
Thought I was the only one
Old 04-21-2009, 07:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by dragonrage
Thought I was the only one
I assume your not the only one that thinks they suck either then?

They stop ok, but nothing amazing, and dust alot
Old 04-21-2009, 08:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like them other than the dust, but I only run all-seasons (granted they are good all-seasons, RE960AS, but all-seasons are all-seasons)
Old 04-21-2009, 08:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm very happy with budget my setup. I have WS6 Store drilled/slotted rotors, hawk pads, Russel stainless braided lines, and I had the calipers powdercoated.

Last edited by DTB_LS1; 12-07-2009 at 11:45 AM.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:57 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

From what I've heard (and bear in mind this can vary from person to person based on driving style) from a few that have hard both is that the HPS's haven't been as bad. And most don't find them all that dusty... maybe make a poll? But then you have some that consider any dust terrible.

I personally have not run Greenstuff vs. HPS. I'm more than happy with the HPS so never had a reason myself. I have had a few customers switch and never heard a complaint....

I know it's not the answer you likely want, but I'm not ok with story telling, rather be straight with you.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

The HPSs that I currently have on one car, have served quite well. I will say, that as they have worn down (it's pretty much time to change them), they squeak quite a lot in parking lots and parking garages. Dust is minimal...keep the car washed every week or so and you won't have problems.

Having said that, I am currently doing the C5 upgrade with Brembo rotors and Carbotech pads. The Carbotechs are my personal preference for pads, as are Brembo blanks...although I am eager to try the ATEs. If I hadn't gotten the Brembos so cheap, I would have tried the ATEs.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:30 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DTB_LS1
I'm very happy with budget my setup. I have WS6 Store drilled/slotted rotors, hawk pads, Russel stainless braided lines, and I had the calipers powdercoated.
I was thinking of going with that same exact setup! I was only concerned with the ws6 store rotors. Do they rust?? Do you have the hawk HPS pads? Thanks man. Also how many miles with this setup?
Old 04-22-2009, 12:40 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by rican_boi310
I was thinking of going with that same exact setup! I was only concerned with the ws6 store rotors. Do they rust?? Do you have the hawk HPS pads? Thanks man. Also how many miles with this setup?
Mine get a little surface rust on the faces of the rotors if the car sits for a while but they clean right off after a short drive. They are zinc coated and the hub hasn't formed any rust yet and I've had them on the car for a year.
Old 04-22-2009, 12:48 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by rican_boi310
I have at least 30k miles on my WS6 store kit and I was real happy with them. The rotors held up but now are starting to warp and have cracks in the spots they are drilled at. I did get some dust but it always hosed right off even after a few weeks of sitting on. I will be buying these again. And yes they were the hawk pads.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:34 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

There is the difference with good rotors and cheaper rotors. I have cheap rotors I can sell too, but I don't want to. If you have to replace them twice as often and they are half the price, what have you gained? Nothing, and considering rotors are heavy and cost something to ship, you might well end up spending more in the end.
Old 04-22-2009, 06:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
From what I've heard (and bear in mind this can vary from person to person based on driving style) from a few that have hard both is that the HPS's haven't been as bad. And most don't find them all that dusty... maybe make a poll? But then you have some that consider any dust terrible.

I personally have not run Greenstuff vs. HPS. I'm more than happy with the HPS so never had a reason myself. I have had a few customers switch and never heard a complaint....

I know it's not the answer you likely want, but I'm not ok with story telling, rather be straight with you.

No actually that was a very good answer, and yeah the worst part about asking the dust question is each persons definition of bad, thanks man.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:51 AM
On The Tree

Agian great info every1 thank you. I was looking into the EBC rotors and the hawk pads, I think that might be the best set up for me. Brembo rotors are on the list as well. im pretty set on the pads hawks seem to be the way to go based on all the positive feed back. My Trans Am is used on the weekends and occasionally during the week depends on weather i dont drive it in the rain and or snow never have. Will the car sitting alot harm the rotors such as rust. i keep it in a climate controlled garage all year round so will i see rust and if so will a short run take care of it? Also does cracking occur on the rotors where the r dimpled and slotted?? Sorry loaded question i know lol.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:15 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Again, I sell both Brembo and ATE. I have no reason to recommend ATE over Brembo except I feel they are a better value with no loss in performance. The ATE's are not typical slotted rotors. They are slotted differently as you can see by looking at one to minimize the cracking you can get from straight, pointed end slots, that are done haphazardly by an aftermarket company.

There is nothing wrong with Brembo blanks, and if they were any significant amount less and you didn't care about coating and slots then go for 'em. But that's not the case here, at least with the ATE sale. And don't forget that some of my BP kits have Brembo rotors in them if you end up heading that way.

Rotors are metal, and the hats and edges will eventually start to rust (not a problem other than looks), even if the car isn't driven in bad weather. I assume you wash it and get the rotors wet.

And finally, what point does the dimpling serve? Answer, none other than another way to look cool.

Quick Reply: Best rotors and pads with stock calipers??