Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Best rotors and pads with stock calipers??

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 07:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best rotors and pads with stock calipers??

Ok let me try this again lol. Im looking to upgrade brakes on my car (98trans am) Its used for street and strip and im on a budget i want to keep stock calipers and just upgrade rotors and pads. Any info on this would be awesome. Also any info on EBC Brakes would be great i was leaning towards them. Always get great advice thanks again guys!
Old 04-20-2009, 07:23 AM
TECH Junkie

brembo blanks or ATE slotted (on sale at stranoparts)
hawk hps pads

some people have good luck with rotors from the local auto parts store, and the hawk pads.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use EBC Greenstuff pads, and I like them. +1 for Brembo blanks.
Old 04-20-2009, 08:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I use Brembo Blanks for autocross and put a lot of heat into them very quickly. I also use Hawk HP+ on the front with Duracraps on the rear in order to get more front brake bias. IMHO, these cars have too much rear bias.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I just did mine on Sat. I installed R1 rotors and Hawk HPS pads on all corners. No complaints here.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i just did the hawk pads with stock rotors and i was def impressed next on the list rotors
Old 04-20-2009, 12:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

You don't need drilled rotors, but maybe look for a slotted rotor. Hawk HPS pads are good too.
Old 04-20-2009, 12:17 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 140 Likes on 91 Posts

Are you rotors in need of being changed? If there is nothing wrong with your stock rotors, keep them. Pads stop the car. Rotors are important, in that they aren't warped, are tough and don't warp easily, etc. But pads stop the car.

I do both Hawk HPS and Ceramic car sets (front and rear pads) for $162 and $165 respectively, shipped.

You want good pads, some good fluid and it wouldn't hurt to upgrade your brake lines to Stainless if you are going to flush the old crappy fluid anyway. And if you look around on my site, you'll see we also have some BP kits (brake package) that include pads and rotors, or pads, rotors, lines, and fluid as well.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion
Old 04-20-2009, 02:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i've got eradispeed 2 piece drilled/slotted rotors and autozone duralast gold pads. definitely not impressed.
with traps at ~105, i still have problems trying to get the car to slowdown and make the first exit at the track. hopefully it's the pads holding it up.
don't know how mine compare to stocks but it gets sketchy at high speeds.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:47 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

That's a pad problem, and illustrates perfectly what I was saying before.
Old 04-20-2009, 02:53 PM
TECH Addict

Sam, do you have any experience with the EBC Greenstuff pads like I use? I don't see people mention them often, though I have been happy with them, though they do seem pretty dusty. Just curious if I'm the only one who likes them, etc. Maybe I'll have to try Hawk next time if you say so.

Well, not that I need much pad to stop (or, rather, be better than) my all-seasons. I like my RE960AS, but an all season tire is an all season tire.
Old 04-20-2009, 03:59 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I'm a pretty loyal Hawk guy for these cars. I can sell EBC, but was never super impressed with them. If you want EBC's and what clean, then the Redstuff is what you should have gone to.

I run HPS's on my cars. I like the combination of bite, dust, and pedal feel. I've run Ceramics, and while they have plenty of power I don't like the pedal feel as much. HP Pluses are the real stoppers... but they are quite dirty and can squeal a fair bit too. I find that HPS is a great all around pad that will stop when cold, stop when pretty hot, and take a beating. I've turned rotors blue and had smoke rolling and not faded them. They are NOT track pads, they won't take a whole day on a road-course, that's not their job--but they are great for hard street/corner carving type driving. And I use them for most cars to autocross on.
Old 04-20-2009, 04:53 PM
TECH Addict

I've heard that Greenstuff is MUCH better for DDs than Redstuff, but I don't have direct experience with Redstuff. I know there were multiple versions of the Greenstuff and mine is like version4 or something, ceramic, supposed to be WAY better than the older ones. I think I might try Hawk next time and see which I prefer. I don't get any squealing from these and they stop a lot better than my tires so all I can really complain about is dust.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:01 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Dust is one of those things. Any pad that stops makes some dust.... Ceramic's dust is much lighter colored to be sure, but even they dust some.

HPS's aren't spotless, but the dust is very easy to wipe off unless you let it sit for a long, long time... then it's just a little harder--nothing near stuck for good.

Without comparing for yourself it's hard to make a comparison based on something that's different for everyone (tolerance of dust, that sort of thing). It's a subjective measure.
Old 04-20-2009, 05:02 PM
TECH Addict

I think I clean my wheels maybe once a year, haha. I mainly look at them, think to myself that they are too dirty, as I walk inside and do other things
Old 04-20-2009, 05:15 PM
Launching!

Checkout the BrakeMotive sale in the sponsor section.. got powerstop slotted with their ceramic pads for 220 shipped Frpnt and rear when they had the sale..I believe they're running the special on the blanks...I installed mine and have no complaints what so ever...made stops from 120+ and no warping or craking
Old 04-21-2009, 02:06 PM
On The Tree

Wow thanks guys great information i really appreciate it. I think im leaning towards the brembo rotors. Now on the pads i want a pad thats low dust and very quiet i cant stand the noise mine makes when breaking i can barely hear it but its enough to aggrvate me cause i know its not normal! So Brembo rotors slotted and best over all pads would be? Sam strano thank you for the info im hitting your site right now to check things out. To all thank you for info and keep it coming please never enough info thanks again guys.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:14 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Again, I sell Brembo---but I'd go ATE rotors here because they are every bit as tough, and coated too. But the real reasons it they are cheaper the door.

And in fact, if you get ATE rotor set and HPS pad set, you'd pay NO shipping on any of it (over 80 pounds of stuff--the rotors are heavy) through the end of the month.

You'll set the ATE rotor set, and HPS Pad set listed under the "brakes" section for your year car.... it's a better deal. When the free-shipping sale is over, the Brembo's will be slightly cheaper again all said and done because shipping is a pretty heavy chunk due to weight.
Old 04-21-2009, 02:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Again, I sell Brembo---but I'd go ATE rotors here because they are every bit as tough, and coated too. But the real reasons it they are cheaper the door.

And in fact, if you get ATE rotor set and HPS pad set, you'd pay NO shipping on any of it (over 80 pounds of stuff--the rotors are heavy) through the end of the month.
Good deal. I'd definitely consider this route if those are pads that interest you. That is, assuming you plan on getting them from a real dealer and not an auction site.
Old 04-21-2009, 05:12 PM
TECH Junkie

"Now on the pads i want a pad thats low dust and very quiet i cant stand the noise mine makes when breaking i can barely hear it but its enough to aggrvate me cause i know its not normal!"

while not always the case.....less noise= less stopping power

so i guess you're in a pickle

Quick Reply: Best rotors and pads with stock calipers??