Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Talk to me about shocks

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 08:29 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Talk to me about shocks

Went to the track last week for the first time in forever and found that the suspension needs to be done properly (which was known going into it). Currently the car is lowered with some LG lowering springs and bone stock shocks and rear lowers. For stree/drag should I upgrade to some QA1 double adjustable or the 12 way setup? Can I get away with just the rear for now or do all 4? What can I do with the springs? Can I just run taller springs in the rear for the track or can I make a shock change and get this thing to actually transfer weight? Cause right now it is stiff as a board when launching? Also, would the comp eng shocks be worth anything? Thanks for all the help.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:46 AM
FormerVendor

Thumbs up Spring and Shock Suggestion!

Hello
My suggestion for you would be use a factory spring in the rear and a coil over in the front. and the QA1's would be a good idea they would allow you to tune the suspension for good weight distribution. Below is a link to show you what we have to offer.
http://umiperformance.com/page.php?page=genfbodyshocks
If you have any questions feel free to ask and I will be glad to help!
Thanks
Brad
Old 05-06-2009, 09:15 AM
10 Second Club

Double or single adjustable? Also seeing alot of good things from Afco. Also, what is the recommended stance or ride height in the front?
Old 05-06-2009, 12:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts

Brother, you've got a completely bad *** driveline but I don't see anything in your sig or this thread about the suspension or rest of the car, except for lowering springs. You need to figure out what your real priority is for the car: how much drag, how much street, and what is really important to you. That's going to reflect in two things:
1. You need to figure out your real priorities and write them down
2. Figure out a budget and make them align. i.e. Don't expect $1000 suspension is going to suffice for a $20,000 engine/tranny combo.

That said and assuming I am right about the rest of the car, you have the worst possible spring shock combo and overall suspension for ANY type of driving. Stock shocks are horrible for stock springs and pathetic for lowering springs. Stock, these cars are heavily unbalanced in favor of the engine. You've made the engine almost twice as powerful and made the suspension almost twice as bad. Again, worst possible combination for any purpose.

If you are drag focused and don't care much about how it handles on the street, go with the QA1s and drag springs. However, there are plenty of guys out there cutting nice 60' times with Bilsteins, KYBs, and Konis and still really enjoying street driving.

Call Sam Strano, he'll design a setup that will work for you and your purpose for the car in the real world - and may rightfully suggest a lot of UMIs products, which are excellent. The fact that you put stock shocks on lowering springs tells me you really need some basic guidance on suspension setup.

I think the stock rear springs like Ryan suggested would be a good start but I would put some Konis there on full soft. On a budget, I would go Bilsteins (and did) or KYBs back there. Add some "drag bags" - Air Lift helper springs. They are awesome and make my modestly powered car dead hook on bald tires with 3500-4000 RPM street digs.

I like control in the front so I would go with the Bilsteins or KYBs on front with stock springs or the Konis if you keep the lowering springs in the front.

I'd also keep the stock or SS sway bars on front and rear except for track trips, where I would leave the stock sway on the front and put a fat BMR or similar bar on the rear. You could pull the front bar if you wanted, BUT only do this for the track though as too much relative bar in the rear makes for a squirrely riding rear and an unsafe car.

How many miles do you put on this car and how often are you TRULY going to be at the track?

Last edited by jmilz28; 05-06-2009 at 12:46 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 01:03 PM
10 Second Club

Suspension is stock except the torque arm, sway bars and springs. The car has 25k on the clock since new. This is a weekend toy and very little track time car.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:09 PM
TECH Addict

Ok, well based on what you have and assuming drags are not the highest priority, I don't think the QA1s are going to make you happy. The fact is, you have an ASSLOAD of power and torque, everywhere, and it's gonna be tough making that thing dead hook at all. I would focus on control and predictability. I took the opposite approach from you and did full suspension first, the "ground up." If you like the lowered stance, keep it. In that case, get the Koni 4/4s from Sam and maybe the drag bags. Set up and adjusted right, you'll have a 'comfortable' ride (firm, not harsh) that inspires confidence and maximizes control. With your power, this is key. Upgrade those brakes too, you need the extra "whoa" in a serious way. A C5 upgrade with HPS or HP+ along with stainless lines will give you a margin of power and safety you will appreciate. When you DO decide to hit the track, throw on the drag radials/slicks, soften up the rear shocks, adjust the air in the drag bags, and hit it. Best of the street world with reasonable dragstrip ability. What sway bars do you have?

You need to do shocks first, hands down. They affect you every second the car is rolling: comfort, control, traction, braking, handling. Pick your shocks based on your springs, springs based on function and taste. If you stay lowered, get the Konis. If you want the drag racing bit some more, stick to stock shocks and run the Konis or Bilsteins. Best advice, call Sam. He's a great guy and spends a lot of time helping and actually executes service after the sale. Let us know what you decide but for God's sake, get those stock shocks off there. FWIW, I wish I had nutted up for the Konis, they will make it a different car.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:19 PM
10 Second Club

I do have larger brakes on the car already so I am ok there. I am not 100% on the brand sway bars they have been on there for awhile. I know they are from a sponsor on here just not sure which one. Thanks again for all the help on this topic.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:28 PM
10 Second Club

Thinking about going with some QA1's Gen F all the way around and a set of 275 springs up front and the stockers in the rear??
Old 05-06-2009, 07:38 PM
10 Second Club

I think my biggest problem with this issue has been that I like the lowered look of the car vs the stock height/pickup truck look. With the above mentioned setup could I safely be able to lower the front of the car enough to make it look right? I know with the stock springs in the rear the rear will be hiked up some. Thanks again for the help.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you could do the hose mod in the rear to level it out...

you might want to take a look at this though

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...s-vs-koni.html

and most definitely read this

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...ml#post8344345
Old 05-06-2009, 10:32 PM
TECH Addict

Put some Konis on there, bro. Seriously...

Quick Reply: Talk to me about shocks