Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors
Old 05-13-2016, 02:45 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevoret Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Super Cheap Big Brake Kit - Info

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 01:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
I'd rather run the camaro rotor since it has better pad fitment and doesn't require to shim the caliper out any further. I have a local machinist who can open up the rotor on a lathe without an issue, and it's not like I'm buying rotors often. Even if it's 10,000 miles, that's 10 years for me.

Fortunatley, my wheels hide the mating surface, so I'm going with the camaro rotors. Does Brembo make a blank for the 2010+ camaro?
Edit: I looked around a little, didn't find any..

Last edited by bill12690; 08-12-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-13-2012, 04:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Well ordered mine last week. Got my shipping notifications last week as well, then Amazon sent me an email today notifying me they made a mistake and only had one of the calipers. So now I'm a caliper short..............F'n rookies!!!!!
Old 08-13-2012, 06:05 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by No Juice
Well ordered mine last week. Got my shipping notifications last week as well, then Amazon sent me an email today notifying me they made a mistake and only had one of the calipers. So now I'm a caliper short..............F'n rookies!!!!!
Well, I had originally ordered two passenger side ones by accident, then on Thursday I ordered the driver's side, and Friday shipped back one of the passenger ones, so who knows, once it gets back into inventory, they may be able to ship it out to you.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sweet!
im actually selling my 2011 camaro ss brembos now!
i just bought some stop tech brakes for the front! and dont need my old calipers.
i sold my drilled/slotted rotors already to a friend.

both front calipers with hardware and pads with 90% life left for sale! have 11,000 miles on them!
Old 08-13-2012, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

I hope I don't get one of those notifications because I ordered mine on the 9th last week and it was supposed to be the last one. When I log in to check on my order it says "shipping soon" and "Delivery Estimate: Wednesday August 15, 2012 - Saturday August 18, 2012", it would suck *** if they don't have mine either
Old 08-14-2012, 10:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by The Alchemist
Well, I had originally ordered two passenger side ones by accident, then on Thursday I ordered the driver's side, and Friday shipped back one of the passenger ones, so who knows, once it gets back into inventory, they may be able to ship it out to you.
Well for some reason I originally ordered it through Amazon PricePros, they said when you return it, the part actually goes back to the manufacture not back into their inventory.

Originally Posted by Empatho
I hope I don't get one of those notifications because I ordered mine on the 9th last week and it was supposed to be the last one. When I log in to check on my order it says "shipping soon" and "Delivery Estimate: Wednesday August 15, 2012 - Saturday August 18, 2012", it would suck *** if they don't have mine either
I checked again tonight and Amazon LLC had the part listed again for $126, which was cheaper than what I got it for from Amazon PricePros but now I see its not expected to ship until next month. WTF!!!
Old 08-15-2012, 06:29 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

I bought mine straight through Amazon, even came in an Amazon box, with free shipping and all. Got to my house in 2-3 days, so you can't beat that. The driver's side one that I ordered on Thursday actually was delivered yesterday, so that's not too bad.
Old 08-19-2012, 11:09 AM
TECH Resident

Bump, any updates on this?

I'm considering doing the cts-v brakes or the 5th gen brakes. I wanna go with whichever will clear a 17" wheel better. I don't mind machining the rotor and drilling the spindle if the 5th gen caliper will tuck up a little better, I'll be stuffing them under 17's.

Also, who's doing rear brakes with this too? I'm quite interested in that..
Old 08-19-2012, 11:47 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SS_Wannabe
Just got my CTS-V calipers today, new parts, never used...for what I think is a great deal.
Got the Front Left unit (172-2287) for $101.28,
Front Right (172-2288) for $126.38,
and Rear Right (172-2308) for $75.25
I couldn't find Rear Left (172-2309) anywhere on the site
also got two Z06 14" rotors (177-1000) for 72.72 each

All of this was also tax free and free 2 day shipping, except on the rotors. Those were shipped ground but shipping was only $1.50 each!!

Not sure I can mention the site as they're not a sponsor, but I will say that you have to be a Prime member to get the free 2 day shipping, and you can sign up for a free 30 day trial of Prime membership.

They also have the 6 piston units (172-2487, 172-2488) for just under $335 each, but I couldn't pull the trigger on those knowing that the extra $440 or so dollars could complete the entire 4 piston front setup (hoses, pads, rotors) and some of the rear, and I think the gains would be minimal.

I'm determined to get the Brembos out back with a working parking brake (my car is has a manual trans) so next up will be a Strange S60 rear which will be a better choice for the fixed calipers (no c-clips) and much stronger than our 10 bolt rears. Has anyone made a kit for this? I'm hoping to use the Z06 13" rotors

Once I have all the parts ready, I plan to put them behind some Weld RTS's ala the GMHTP STI Killer Camaro, huge fan of the mods they've done to that car.

Love this thread, hope some of you get to jump on those deals

I'll be using these part numbers for mine assuming I do the V brakes. Where did you end up getting the rear left caliper?

Also wondering, on cross drilled rotors, it seems like there should be a "right" and "left" to keep the holes in the same pattern on each side, instead of one side being backwards. Am I wrong?

One more thing. From what I'm seeing, the rear rotors on the first gen V's are 14.4", I'm guessing that isn't going to fit under a 17" wheel, unless the caliper is a lot thinner on top and sits down further on the rotor.
Old 08-19-2012, 01:34 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Killer_Z
my 18x9.5 OE wheel dd C5, cleared w/ the 12mm spacer. you have to worry about spoke clearance closest to the hub. my spokes were real thick and didnt clear. i could have went with a 10mm spacer or less.

in the future i'll b upgrading to the 6 piston brembo for bling purposes lol.
Killer Z can you post pics of yours and give some details
spacer?
studs?
wheels offsets?
fender clearance pics?

thanks
Old 08-20-2012, 03:55 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bill12690
I'll be using these part numbers for mine assuming I do the V brakes. Where did you end up getting the rear left caliper?

Also wondering, on cross drilled rotors, it seems like there should be a "right" and "left" to keep the holes in the same pattern on each side, instead of one side being backwards. Am I wrong?

One more thing. From what I'm seeing, the rear rotors on the first gen V's are 14.4", I'm guessing that isn't going to fit under a 17" wheel, unless the caliper is a lot thinner on top and sits down further on the rotor.
I havent gotten the rear left caliper, hoping Amazon has it in stock soon. The 14" Z06 rotors are the same for both left and right, and yes one rotor runs backwards, that's how they did it, they even say the reverse rotor can experience higher temps. Aftermarket rotors are correct but cost more. And from what I know, this wont fit under a 17" wheel, you have to go 18" and run a wheel spacer if the spokes don't have enough pad clearance, most spokes will not clear the caliper. Camaro or CTS calipers are pretty much the same as far as size goes, but the Camaros has larger bolt holes, so you will have to drill out the spindles caliper mounting holes to match. Its easier just to use the CTS calipers

I was hoping I could use the 13" Z06 rotor for the rear, didnt realize the caddy used such a big rotor. We really need to figure out the rear setup, the front is pretty much all figured out
Old 08-20-2012, 06:06 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SS_Wannabe
I havent gotten the rear left caliper, hoping Amazon has it in stock soon. The 14" Z06 rotors are the same for both left and right, and yes one rotor runs backwards, that's how they did it, they even say the reverse rotor can experience higher temps. Aftermarket rotors are correct but cost more. And from what I know, this wont fit under a 17" wheel, you have to go 18" and run a wheel spacer if the spokes don't have enough pad clearance, most spokes will not clear the caliper. Camaro or CTS calipers are pretty much the same as far as size goes, but the Camaros has larger bolt holes, so you will have to drill out the spindles caliper mounting holes to match. Its easier just to use the CTS calipers

I was hoping I could use the 13" Z06 rotor for the rear, didnt realize the caddy used such a big rotor. We really need to figure out the rear setup, the front is pretty much all figured out
Maybe we can take cues from what this guy did: https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...ws-pics-2.html

His seems to be working just fine and retains the parking brake assy.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1HIGHLIFE
Maybe we can take cues from what this guy did: https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...ws-pics-2.html

His seems to be working just fine and retains the parking brake assy.
great, an active thread on the rear brakes, he has a nice setup, Dana 60 rear with the PBR calipers and 13.39" rotors, not the Brembos but still good for the rear! this is what he says about the rear brakes

On the rear I modified my factory bracket to make it work.......I drilled out the holes on my factory bracket to the bigger 14mm zo6 bolts. I cut my dust shield to make room for the caliper. Once I got everything bolted up the caliper was not center on the rotor. So I took it to a machine shop and had .020 taken off the caliper to bring it in. That got it center on the rotor.

and about the e-brake

If you have the 4 channel abs (cars with tcs) he (kore3) does not make a bracket you have to get rid of your parking brake. I modified my factory bracket and parking shoe to make it work.

I'm going to order a S60 rear next, and hopefully figure this out using the Brembo calipers. If I cant find a rotor that works, I'll just use the PBR calipers. Hopefully he can elaborate more on the e-brake modifications
Old 08-20-2012, 08:58 PM
Banned

you guys who bought the calipers on amazon, are they stamped Brembo on the back or something else like centric etc?
Old 08-20-2012, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine are stamped Brembo and they also say made in Italy.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:19 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Mine say Brembo, made in Italy..

Old 08-20-2012, 09:56 PM
Banned

awesome. thanks for the confirmation guys!
Old 08-22-2012, 06:21 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

So I take it the Camaro setup won't clear on a 17" wheel. The ONE guy who got the CTS-V brakes to fit on a 17" wheel deleted his thread and then PM'd me that he would be releasing a product, a year or two ago. I'm tired of waiting. Anybody have a solution for 17" wheels?????
Old 08-22-2012, 07:13 PM
TECH Resident

Killer Z can you post pics of yours and give some details
spacer?
studs?
wheels offsets?
fender clearance pics?

thanks
here ya go

used eibach 12mm spacer which come w/ longer studs. fronts rims are 18x 9.5 oe wheels c5 dd 54mm offset.
Old 08-22-2012, 08:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by ZexGX
So I take it the Camaro setup won't clear on a 17" wheel. The ONE guy who got the CTS-V brakes to fit on a 17" wheel deleted his thread and then PM'd me that he would be releasing a product, a year or two ago. I'm tired of waiting. Anybody have a solution for 17" wheels?????
Theres another dude with a more recent thread who did it..

edit: Here you go:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...s-17-rims.html

Quick Reply: Super Cheap Big Brake Kit - Info