Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Sub frame connecter

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 09:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sub frame connecter

I was wondering if i needed a subframe connecter if i am lowering my car just for weekend drives. My uncle told me i should get one but wanted to make sure before i drop 200.00 bucks on one
Old 05-21-2009, 09:55 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up A few suggestions for you!

Hello
When lowering a vehicle it not necessary to have SFC installed they will solid up the chassis and keep the dimples off the quarter panels. But if you are going to putting down a lot of power I would suggest them. It the end it is a personal preference though. Seeing how you are going to be lowering the vehicle I would suggest going with an adjustable pan hard bar to allow you to recenter the rear end back under the car due to it shifting when lowered. If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help!
Thanks
Brad
Old 05-21-2009, 10:31 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by PONTIACTRANSAM94
I was wondering if i needed a subframe connecter if i am lowering my car just for weekend drives. My uncle told me i should get one but wanted to make sure before i drop 200.00 bucks on one

Hello, the fourth gen f bodies are a unibody and they do flex some. If your just using the car for weekend drives and your not racing the car or doing heavy corner carving with it the frame connectors aren't needed. If you decide to go with connectors i would recommend our boxed weld in frame connectors. They reinforce the front lower control arm attachment point and tie into the front subframe. We also offer a tubular version if you need more ground clearance. If you have any questions please give me a call.
Attached Thumbnails Sub frame connecter-sfc.gif   Sub frame connecter-tubular2.gif  
(813) 986-9302

Like us on Facebook!
Old 05-21-2009, 11:34 AM
Banned

I'm running UMI 2-point SFC's and love them. My car is on rails!
Old 05-21-2009, 01:15 PM
Staging Lane

I've got the UMI boxed weld ins......like above said.....it's on rails. huge difference.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

BMR boxed weldin's here. I am more of a corner craver, so I like the stiffness they added.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I noticed a difference after I installed my UMI bolt in SFC's. I would recommend them. Bolt them in now and have them welded in later.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:08 PM
TECH Addict

I've got some UMI 3-Point SFCs, but I have yet to install them.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:41 AM
FormerVendor

Default SFC's

Hello
Thanks Everyone Glad to hear that you like the SFC's. And thanks for the business. If anyone has any questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help.
Thanks
Brad
Old 05-22-2009, 08:39 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

a more important issue I just learned about:

after lowering my car I felt a big loss of traction, almost like I was driving on icy roads even with moderate accelerating. I felt the car was dangerous to get on it hard. I just found out you need LCA Relocation brackets, and ordered them 2 days ago. I didn't see too many people stressing that point on here and overlooked them. don't make the same mistake. I'm eager to get them and install them.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by pjb
a more important issue I just learned about:

after lowering my car I felt a big loss of traction, almost like I was driving on icy roads even with moderate accelerating. I felt the car was dangerous to get on it hard. I just found out you need LCA Relocation brackets, and ordered them 2 days ago. I didn't see too many people stressing that point on here and overlooked them. don't make the same mistake. I'm eager to get them and install them.
Going in a straight line it would. I would not make such a statement though because you make it sound like you will also lose traction turning as well. Depending on your setup, you can definitely lose traction by increasing springrate. With less give in the suspension, tires break free earlier because they are doing more work. On the other hand, you hold a better camber curve with stiffer springs.

If you have poor choice in tires, shocks, multiple other components then you could def ruin your traction and feel for the car. That's why we have people like Sam and others on here to seek setup advice from rather than just buying a ton of parts and tossing them at the car.
Old 05-22-2009, 10:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by toadzq8
BMR boxed weldin's here. I am more of a corner craver, so I like the stiffness they added.
SFCs don't have any direct effect on suspension and adding stiffness to anyone's ride. All they are doing is tying the rear LCA chassis connection point to a front part of the chassis. The shocks, springs, swaybars, LCA's still do the same things.

If they did have any effect, it would be an indirect effect. I guess if the body flex under normal driving conditions or slightly agressive conditions, the flex could possibly force the suspension to act a little different than it would with SFC's installed. I'm not sure how significant that effect would be though.

SFC's make priceless jack points.

Quick Reply: Sub frame connecter