Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Brake Ducting, whos done it right?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 12:51 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Brake Ducting, whos done it right?

I just finished doing a brake swap on my TA this week and during the break in process I realized just how hot the brakes get. I was thinking about routing some air ducting to the front brakes. Since I have removed the air system, I have the inlets below the running lights free. I was thinking about running some ducting from there to a hole in the wheel well and having it blow directly on the brakes. I have seen pics, but they all look half assed and held together by zip ties. I want to know if anyone has done this well, or if I might have to be the first
Old 05-26-2009, 01:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Subscribed!
Old 05-26-2009, 02:04 PM
On The Tree

I thought there were available kits for this all ready? I'll have to see if there are any links on my home computer. I was thinking about doing this myself.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

They already exist. Those who Road Race F-Bodies use them all the time.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:06 PM
TECH Resident

Could you post a link to some? I just googled it and the only one I saw was from quantum motorsports. It does look like a nice kit, but its way expensive for what it comes with. I might consider buying the bracket and just fabbing up the hose and stuff itself. The only thing about connecting the bracket directly to the spindle is it might look kind of odd through the wheels. Would there be much of a difference with the air just coming from the wheel as opposed to being connected to the bracket on the spindle?

Edit: pics for how the look when the car is all together would be good too.
Old 05-26-2009, 04:23 PM
TECH Addict

go to frrax and look there. FYI, EVERY duct kit is held on with zip ties. how else would you attach anything?

another FYI, if youre not roading, as in road racing, you dont need ducts. brakes are supposed to get hot. they work when theyre hot. ducts wont do a damn thing on the street.
Old 05-26-2009, 08:31 PM
TECH Resident

When I made the zip tie comment, I just meant that there are zip ties all over the place and it doesnt look clean at all. On the other topic, wouldnt any cooling help extend the life of the brakes? I did go with drilled and slotted rotors when I did the replacement. I know they offer no significant stopping improvement etc, but that was my choice. From what Ive read, it seems that the heat that builds up in them is what can lead to premature cracking and warping. Even though its just street braking wouldnt some cooling be more beneficial than none at all?
Old 05-26-2009, 09:47 PM
TECH Addict

no. you wont be going fast enough to get any decent amount of air through the ducts. only if you repeatedly slam on the brakes, over and over and over, will you ever overheat them on the street. otherwise, even if you have a panic stop from 80-0, thats only ONCE. on a track, its over and over and over again. after your panic stop, you either stop the car or keep driving, both allowing the brakes to cool.

i dont want to beat a dead horse, but the drilled/slotted dont do a thing for heat either. they dont crack from heat buildup. they crack because there are holes drilled though them.

take if from someone who races, even for fun like me. ducting will do NOTHING at all on the street. if your driving habits are so bad or rough that youre overheating stock brakes, then upgrade your pads before you mess around with anything else. get hawk HPS. theyll stop better and take heat better then regular pads.

there are millions of cars, trucks, vans, busses, etc on the street that dont have ducting. the vast majority, 99.5%, have no overheating brake issues.

added note. i have ducting. i take it off for street driving, and re-attach for racing. thanks to other projects, my TA sees more track time then she does street time lately. take that into consideration.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:02 PM
TECH Resident

I know the drilled/slotted dont do anything for brake cooling. I just thought the ducts could help keep heat under control. Thanks for all the info though. I thought the ducting would have had some affect on the street. Guess Ill just have to find another project to put the time/money towards

Quick Reply: Brake Ducting, whos done it right?