Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Prokit

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009 | 07:51 PM
TECH Regular

Default Prokit

How have they been with stock shocks? So far Ive been getting conflicting info about the prokit. If not the prokit, what springs will work alright with the stock shocks?
Old 05-29-2009 | 09:38 PM
TECH Junkie

None. Stock shocks suck

If your satisfied with the prokit on stock shocks, then why change? Unless your doing some racing and could gain better results from a better shock, or just don't realize you could improve your ride quality preferences. I'm pretty sure that spring is oscillating multiple times over bumps though... with better damping shocks you can control that a lot better.
Old 05-29-2009 | 10:04 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by z28bryan
None. Stock shocks suck

If your satisfied with the prokit on stock shocks, then why change? Unless your doing some racing and could gain better results from a better shock, or just don't realize you could improve your ride quality preferences. I'm pretty sure that spring is oscillating multiple times over bumps though... with better damping shocks you can control that a lot better.
well i dont have the prokit yet.....i have stock springs and shocks right now. Im just seeing how the prokit or other spring kits did with stock shocks. Thanks though.
Old 05-29-2009 | 10:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Prokit and stock shocks here, I had this for years now. It drives good for a daily driver, dont really scrape and its pretty comfy, although i have control arms and swaybars too. It was fine for a while, but now that the car sees higher speeds and is making a lot more power I want/need something stiffer.
It depends on what type of ride you want
Old 05-29-2009 | 10:57 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SELLSZ06
Prokit and stock shocks here, I had this for years now. It drives good for a daily driver, dont really scrape and its pretty comfy, although i have control arms and swaybars too. It was fine for a while, but now that the car sees higher speeds and is making a lot more power I want/need something stiffer.
It depends on what type of ride you want
ya my car is a dd as well. Thanks for your imput
Old 05-30-2009 | 06:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey:

Strano makes a really good riding spring, I went from Eibachs prokit to them and the only thing I don't like is the white powder coating on them.
I guess I glad I don't see them often. yellow konis with white springs
its pretty bright under a red car. A cleaning compulsive persons nightmare.

Dub

When In Doubt Do Without
Old 06-01-2009 | 12:27 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 1993 z28 f1
Hey:

Strano makes a really good riding spring, I went from Eibachs prokit to them and the only thing I don't like is the white powder coating on them.
I guess I glad I don't see them often. yellow konis with white springs
its pretty bright under a red car. A cleaning compulsive persons nightmare.

Dub

When In Doubt Do Without
ya dont really care too much about the color....just about clearance issues, etc. What does it normally run to have a prokit springs put on?
Old 06-01-2009 | 02:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

do the install yourself, just rent the spring compressors at a auto store, its easy since these spring are shorter than stock.
Old 06-01-2009 | 11:39 PM
TECH Resident

Subscribed... I've been pretty curious as to this too. A lot of people seem to run stockers with prokit springs but I was wondering what aftermarket shocks people have run and had good results with.
Old 06-02-2009 | 09:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

koni's ftmw
Old 06-02-2009 | 10:34 PM
On The Tree

replace shocks before lowering it. imo
Old 06-02-2009 | 11:00 PM
On The Tree
15 Year Member

Been there with the stock shocks with the prokit.
It rode nice as long as the road was nice.
It did not like rough roads because of the limited rear travel.
Old 06-03-2009 | 10:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by JDishong
Been there with the stock shocks with the prokit.
It rode nice as long as the road was nice.
It did not like rough roads because of the limited rear travel.
..I think your rough ride had more to do with the speed you are impacting your full suspension travel and less to do with the smaller amount of suspension travel. Less suspension travel isn't ideal for ride quality no doubt, but you can't overlook the fact that stock shocks are pretty much cacca and don't slow down the speed that the spring compresses or rebounds.

In my opinion using stock shocks for any aftermarket springs is a horrible idea, fwiw
Old 06-03-2009 | 10:33 AM
pjb
TECH Resident

consider this - instead of paying $250-300 for springs, and another $350-400 for less expensive shocks (total $600-700), just get the 4/3 koni for $732 from Sam. Use the stock springs on the lower perch/rear hose mod. You'll have a great setup instead of a crappy setup that cost nearly as much.
Old 06-03-2009 | 11:52 PM
On The Tree
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by z28bryan
..I think your rough ride had more to do with the speed you are impacting your full suspension travel and less to do with the smaller amount of suspension travel. Less suspension travel isn't ideal for ride quality no doubt, but you can't overlook the fact that stock shocks are pretty much cacca and don't slow down the speed that the spring compresses or rebounds.

In my opinion using stock shocks for any aftermarket springs is a horrible idea, fwiw
Well i'm using the bmr springs now and its much better with the added rate and a touch more ride height in the back.
Still on stock shocks.
Old 06-04-2009 | 01:49 AM
TECH Regular

Im gonna do the SLP valved Bilstiens they are valved to work with lowered springs. I already have the kit so those shocks seem like a pretty good alternative.
Old 06-04-2009 | 08:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Angry

Originally Posted by JDishong
Well i'm using the bmr springs now and its much better with the added rate and a touch more ride height in the back.
Still on stock shocks.
Like I mentioned in my first post.. satisfaction with your setup and how much your springs are dampened can be two entirely different things. If your happy then no need to change anything I guess. It's possible however, that there might be a realm of better damping that you're unaware of that you may prefer better than stock shocks.

Quick Reply: Prokit