Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors
Old 05-10-2016, 03:02 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevoret Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

Parking brake is stuck! How do I fix?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 08:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Parking brake is stuck! How do I fix?

Pretty pissed, finished up my motor swap over the weekend, after 7 months was getting ready to drive the car for the first time... but the parking brake put a stop to the fun.

The parking brake is stuck. There is play with the cable under the console, but somewhere between the cable gears under the console and the rear wheels, things have seized up. We could not budge the cable, tapped on it and the y split (under the car), as well as the clamps on the rear brakes, but couldn't get it to unlock.

Anyone had this issue? I'm guessing it was caused by the car sitting for 6 months with the ebrake pulled... but now I'm not sure of the best way to fix it. I'd rather not cut the cable and install a new one...
Old 06-01-2009, 08:00 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

You should be able to tell at the "Y" point what is going on. If the handle is down and you have tension in the cable coming from the console, then you know that cable is seized. If one of the cables from the "Y" to the wheels is seized, then you should be able to tell. (If just one is seized, you should have play in the lever behind the drum of the one that is good.)
Old 06-02-2009, 07:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wssix99
You should be able to tell at the "Y" point what is going on. If the handle is down and you have tension in the cable coming from the console, then you know that cable is seized. If one of the cables from the "Y" to the wheels is seized, then you should be able to tell. (If just one is seized, you should have play in the lever behind the drum of the one that is good.)
This is the case, the cable is seized somewhere between the handle and before the Y split, probably where it goes through the sheetmetal in the transmission tunnel. How do you fix that? I'm afraid to use brute force for fear of tearing the plastic/'rubber shroud wrapped around the cable.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:07 AM
Save the manuals!

I'd remove the center console first and check where the cable engages the handle. If you can confirm there that the jam is between the handle and the "Y", you just need to replace that cable. (The one going from the handle to the "Y".)

They e-brake cables are like bike cables, but I'm not sure if they can be serviced. I had a similar issue on another Pontiac years ago and it was a sealed cable that needed to be replaced entirely.

BTW - If you need to replace the cable, you'll have to take off the center console anyway to unbolt the handle and remove it from the cable end.
Old 06-03-2009, 07:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

OK, pretty sure its the cable from the console to the y, the two cables after the y appear to have play. So can I just cut and then remove each end?
Old 06-03-2009, 08:45 AM
12 Second Club

You can try to pull on the output end of the front cable at the equalizer (y-connection you refer to). If the front cable is siezed it may or may not move for you. I will warn you to watch out at the lever if you cut the front cable because it is a self adjust lever. That spring on the side of the lever provides tension to the front cable to eliminate slack in the system. That may jump around if you cut the cable so just watch your fingers. And be careful winding that back up when you install the new cable. It has some load to it and if you slip you may injure yourself. Good luck.
Old 06-03-2009, 08:49 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You said there is play in the cables after the Y so we are assuming the handle is stuck rather than the actual brake being stuck on, correct? Does your handle look like it is straight up? This may be elementary but I'm surprised no one already asked this.
Old 06-03-2009, 03:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hugger Z
You can try to pull on the output end of the front cable at the equalizer (y-connection you refer to). If the front cable is siezed it may or may not move for you. I will warn you to watch out at the lever if you cut the front cable because it is a self adjust lever. That spring on the side of the lever provides tension to the front cable to eliminate slack in the system. That may jump around if you cut the cable so just watch your fingers. And be careful winding that back up when you install the new cable. It has some load to it and if you slip you may injure yourself. Good luck.
Originally Posted by JamRWS6
You said there is play in the cables after the Y so we are assuming the handle is stuck rather than the actual brake being stuck on, correct? Does your handle look like it is straight up? This may be elementary but I'm surprised no one already asked this.
The front cable doesn't move at the output end... but I can raise and lower the handle, so it must be seized up around the area where it passes through the sheetmetal of the transmission tunnel.

If I cut the cable my parking brake obviously won't work... but my rear brakes will still work correct, i.e. the cable only operates the parking brake right?
Old 06-03-2009, 08:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by General Jack
The front cable doesn't move at the output end... but I can raise and lower the handle, so it must be seized up around the area where it passes through the sheetmetal of the transmission tunnel.

If I cut the cable my parking brake obviously won't work... but my rear brakes will still work correct, i.e. the cable only operates the parking brake right?
If the cable is loose after the Y the parking brake already isn't working especially if it is seized as you describe. If it is seized somehow your best bet is to probably disconnect one end and try to see if the cable will move by itself or with force.
Old 06-03-2009, 09:49 PM
Save the manuals!

the two cables after the y appear to have play
The only place you can really tell if there is play in the cables is at the brake backing plate where the cable meets the lever. If you have play there, then the cables are not your problem at all!
Old 06-05-2009, 08:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The only place you can really tell if there is play in the cables is at the brake backing plate where the cable meets the lever. If you have play there, then the cables are not your problem at all!
OK, and if they are seized on the rear wheels how do I "unseize" them? Thanks for the help, btw.
Old 06-05-2009, 03:41 PM
Save the manuals!

OK, and if they are seized on the rear wheels how do I "unseize" them? Thanks for the help, btw.
You need to take off the center console and see what is going on there. If the center cable is really seized, then you should be able to see the slack in the system at the handle attachment.

If its the center cable, then you'd probably have to cut it and then replace it. (I'm not sure of any other way to get the thing out if its stuck.)

IF YOU CUT THE CABLE, you need to be careful that you don't decapitate or otherwise impale yourself. Those wires are going to have a ton of tension in them and can whip around and cut like a knife.

With the center cable out, you should be fine to drive around, as long as you zip-tie or otherwise secure the "Y" attachment so it doesn't bang around.
Old 06-06-2009, 11:18 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You need to take off the center console and see what is going on there. If the center cable is really seized, then you should be able to see the slack in the system at the handle attachment.

If its the center cable, then you'd probably have to cut it and then replace it. (I'm not sure of any other way to get the thing out if its stuck.)

IF YOU CUT THE CABLE, you need to be careful that you don't decapitate or otherwise impale yourself. Those wires are going to have a ton of tension in them and can whip around and cut like a knife.

With the center cable out, you should be fine to drive around, as long as you zip-tie or otherwise secure the "Y" attachment so it doesn't bang around.
There is slack at the handle, we can raise/lower the handle which causes the cable to bow (loosen) up in the cabin, yet the cable is still very taught under the car.

We'll be careful if we cut the cable, thanks for the heads up.

Quick Reply: Parking brake is stuck! How do I fix?