Suspension & Brakes Springs | Shocks | Handling | Rotors

Help me figure out my suspension setup for street/strip

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 10:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 443 Likes on 354 Posts

Default Help me figure out my suspension setup for street/strip

I've recently installed an S60 and Monster level 3 clutch in my car, but unfortunately my suspension isn't quite up to the task of launching my car. The problem is, I have to compromise my setup because I want my car to be 100% as streetable as it was stock. This is what I have so far: Tubular LCAs with poly bushings both ends, LCA relocation brackets, Chris Alston Tunnel mount torque arm with rod ends in back and poly bushing in front, tubular panhard bar with poly bushings, Bilstein shocks. Front suspension is bone stock. I just ordered an airbag kit to preload the pass side rear because I'm spinning that tire when I launch and it's killing my 60' times. Also, I am running ET Street radials. I basically want to keep the car set up similar to how it is now, and if I change it, I don't want to be dropping $1500 on more suspension components. I know there are people here who are cutting quick 60's on 17" DRs with an M6 and I want to know if there is anything else I can do with my setup to optimize it.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I"m also interested in this...
Old 06-01-2009, 11:48 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could have chosen a better shock/spring combo for drag racing performance. I'd also suggest a drag sway bar instead of the air bag...hindsight is 20/20 as they say...

...there's no way getting around it inexpensively though. If you want consistency and performance, you need to consider changes.

If you try to build it as a "street/strip" setup, its really not going to be that great on the street OR the strip... Think of purchasing an all season radial tire over a season specific tire...same scenario, the all season works ok in all weather conditions but is put to shame in comparison to a summer tire for the summer and a winter tire for the winter.

Good luck!
Old 06-02-2009, 01:27 AM
TECH Junkie

1. Sell your LCA's - Replace with stock with upgraded Moog Bushings
2. Sell your Torque Arm - Replace with Adj. Transmission Mount with Relocation Bracket
3. Get Koni 4/3 Shocks

I'd start there.
Old 06-02-2009, 07:15 AM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up A suggestion for you!

Hello
This is just a suggestion for you! But I would look into a set of coil overs for the front for weight transfer and get a good set of rear shocks as well. Below is a link to show you what UMI Performance has to offer as far as QA1.

http://umiperformance.com/products.php?category_id=118

http://umiperformance.com/page.php?page=genfbodyshocks

If you have any other questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help!
Thanks
Brad
Old 06-02-2009, 12:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey brad, i was actually eye balling your QA1 drag coil overs last night, i dont know anyone whos car is actually set up entirely for the strip, so i guess my question now is this, how bad would the car actually ride on the street if its set up more for the strip?
Old 06-02-2009, 01:35 PM
FormerVendor

I'd suggest Strange Engineering drag shocks over QA1 any day. We can provide either setups, but I don't recommend the QA1's.

Here's a link to the Strange products http://www.sjmmanufacturing.com/cam_sus_ls1.html

I'd also suggest double adjustable over single as you'll have far more control for street and strip use. To answer your question, a drag shock will not perform near as well as a road race type shock...I feel its best to stick in one category so at least you obtain full benefits from the component.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:53 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by redhotSS
hey brad, i was actually eye balling your QA1 drag coil overs last night, i dont know anyone whos car is actually set up entirely for the strip, so i guess my question now is this, how bad would the car actually ride on the street if its set up more for the strip?
Hello
Great to see that you are checking out our site! And if you were to go with a coil over set-up I would highly recommend getting a spanner wrench and thrush bearings to allow you adjust the ride height a lot easier than with out them! If the vehicle is going to be a street and strip car we also offer a 300lbs which is very good ride quality (stiffer compared to the 275lbs springs). But some times they do get a little bouncy but overall are a really good set-up. If you have any questions feel free to ask and I will be more than glad to help!
Thanks
Brad
Old 06-03-2009, 12:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 443 Likes on 354 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I have been leaning towards the QA1 coilovers because two of my friends run them, both of whom cut consistent 1.4-1.5 60 ft times. They said they wouldn't go any other way.

Brad, I didn't see any options for rear shocks on your site, unless I missed them. If you do have them, could you PM me a price for a complete kit, front and back, with the front coilovers you mentioned?
Old 06-03-2009, 01:06 PM
FormerVendor

When QA1 was Hal, they were better quality...As suggested, I feel Strange shocks are nicer, but if you insist on QA1, which series do you want? I can quote you prices for any of them. We don't list them on the website.

Give us a call if you need more help.

Quick Reply: Help me figure out my suspension setup for street/strip